S1 and S2

• 17 June 2021
  • 2 replies

Seriously Sonos.  Read the forums...Decomissioning our Connect Amps is just BS….we know you need to sell new products...and btw I have a ton of S2 compatible stuff….but this is just too much.  My son did the update not knowing what he was doing so now im stuck on S2.

On to my questions.  I started using SonoPhone to control all of my S1 and S2 devices in one app and it works good...ugly...but at least it works.  Are there any others that people like?

For my Mac, im using the native Spotify app instead of the Mac controller as it doesn't care about S1, S2 and treats all the speakers equal….is this what everyone else is doing?  Is there another good App for Sonos that is ambivalent to S1/S2? for the Mac?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @scaryfast, sorry to hear of the trouble you’ve had.

Just to clarify, your Connect:Amp, unless it has developed a fault, is not “decommissioned" - it is just not capable of running the S2 software. It should continue to work fine using the S1 software for the foreseeable future.

As long as the Connect:Amp is set up in an existing S1 system, you can also Factory Reset the updated S2 speakers, and add them back to the S1 system. (Please note this will not be possible for any One SL speakers in the system).

Hope this helps :)

@Xander P Understood and having several One SL’s is part of the challenge in my Sonos ecosystem.  I like the speakers and I group them frequently so separate S1 and S2 devices is a costly transition to normalize for me.  When I try to play things to my Connect:amp’s(5 of them) in the Sonos app it blocks the screen to go to S2...so the split model with different accounts seems to be the way around this...but thats just a mess.

Back to the main question...any other app’s people have figured out to normalize the S1 and S2 stuff.  Not even worried if I lose some functionality.  primary need is to group speakers together and have 1 place to play them all?  Sonophone is the only non-music app contender I found so far...looking for other ideas.

I found Homebridge last night and while I hate the idea of managing a device to bridge into my HomeKit(maybe hoobs?), their forums also appear to indicate that it is ambivalent to S1/S2 devices and allows you to group rooms natively as HomeKit speakers(even the connect:amps).  Using this with Spotify’s app or Amazon Music’s app seems to completely replicate the primary function’s I need which is playing music on my speakers...sometimes grouped across S1/S2.

thoughts from the group?