Roon with Sonos S1 and S2

• 1 August 2020
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Interestingly, I use Roon for my main hifi and as a byproduct use it with my Sonos setup.

i have upgraded to S2, but out of curiously today plugged in my old Five and it works perfectly with Roon! So controlling both S1 and S2 with the same app, can even group zones…..

why can’t Sonos app do this?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

There is no technical reason why an app cannot handle both S1 and S2 systems. Many third party apps can already do this, but Sonos decided they didn’t want to.

Just use a third-party app and reward developers for not following Sonos’ lead on this.

Yes, it works perfectly - both S1 and S2 products, or a mix of both. All via Sonos Net, not airplay. 

Quite pleased with the outcome. 

This is crazy and another reason not to trust anything

thatSonos puts out to rationalize their decisions that negatively impact customers to boost their bottom line. 

I don’t thinks it’s crazy. Sonos have simply separated legacy and modern devices. They are probably yet to develop the full potential of the more modern products, which I expect will be able to communicate and process audio quicker and at much higher quality than the older legacy products. It’s unfair to judge anything at this stage, as all we have seen (so far) is the initial separation stage.

I suspect the real technical development is still to happen with S2 ...and the S1 products will likely not be up-to’the .mark’ for the planned development roadmap that Sonos have likely envisage and probably already tested in their labs.

The crazy thing here would be for Sonos to standstill and let their competitors take the baton. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Yes, it works perfectly - both S1 and S2 products, or a mix of both. All via Sonos Net, not airplay. 

thatSonos puts out to rationalize their decisions that negatively impact customers to boost their bottom line. 

I don’t thinks it’s crazy. Sonos have simply separated legacy and modern devices. They are probably yet to develop the full potential of the more modern products, which I expect will be able to communicate and process audio quicker and at much higher quality than the older legacy products. It’s unfair to judge anything at this stage, as all we have seen (so far) is the initial separation stage.

I suspect the real technical development is still to happen with S2 ...and the S1 products will likely not be up-to’the .mark’ for the planned development roadmap that Sonos have likely envisage and probably already tested in their labs.

The crazy thing here would be for Sonos to standstill and let their competitors take the baton. 

Ken you need to pay attention, they Needlessly separated the 2 - 3rd party apps have no issues, why shouldn't Sonos?. It's an artificial roadblock. Every step of this slow walk to S2 has been an attempt to screw customers over IMO, this is just another example. 

I would think that in the near future (or not near, who knows) that there will be an addition to S2 that breaks that current paradigm, and Sonos wanted to set the expectation now, without having to make multiple dances for each feature that gets added that won’t be able to do that. 

Occean,

I think we use Roon similarly — Roon to main stereo but also, at other times, to Sonos zones. I have a few stereo pairs that I often group together to play from Roon. I use as Sonos net, not Airplay. Works fine with Sonos S1, at least with 2-3 zones playing same music. Does this also work well with S2?

PS: All my Sonos components are S2-compatible. 

thanks!

Userlevel 1
Badge

Userlevel 1
Badge

I would think that in the near future (or not near, who knows) that there will be an addition to S2 that breaks that current paradigm, and Sonos wanted to set the expectation now, without having to make multiple dances for each feature that gets added that won’t be able to do that. 

TBH I have been waiting 11 years now. Not holding my breath. 

11 years!

https://en.community.sonos.com/old-content-from-life-with-sonos-229113/naim-music-store-96-24-flacs-13143

Successfully upgraded to S2.   It went flawlessly and no change in interaction with Roon — still able to group Sonos pairs and rooms without difficulty.  I have no legacy S1-only products to contend with.  Thanks to Occean and the Sonos community for their help.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11