Question

Roku remote volume control of Playbar?

Userlevel 2
I have 2 Roku Premier Plus boxes. The first is hooked to my Marantz receiver which distributes the HDMI signal to the TV. I have a Harmony remote to control the volume for all devices even though I need to use the sonos remote or app to pick the music. I accidentally picked up the Roku remote while streaming Netflix and pushed the volume button on the side and the volume went up and down on the Marantz receiver. I'm pretty sure that is new with the latest Roku update but maybe it's been there the entire time? Anyway, I went up to my bedroom where I have a Playbar and Sonos Sub and ran the firmware update on that Roku box in hopes that it would also control the volume. It did not. That set up doesn't have an amp, the HDMI from my Roku goes into the TV and my HDMI from my DircTV goes into the TV and then an audio out goes to the soundbar. The Dirctv remote knows to send an IR signal to the Playbar to control volume but the Roku does not have IR. Does anyone know if there is a way to get Rokus remote to talk to the Playbar? Sonos I believe is operating on Wifi frequency and maybe Roku is using Bluetooth so it will never be an option?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Hi manyfacets, and welcome to the community.

Volume control of the PLAYBAR will require an IR capable remote. If your Roku remote is capable of being set to emit IR signals, follow the steps in our FAQ Setting up a new TV or Cable remote with the Sonos PLAYBAR or PLAYBASE and let us know if you have any other questions.
Hi there did you get your roku remote to control your playbar in the end? I'm considering buying a roku 3 for the volume control but can't seem to find any information as to whether the remote will work with the playbar. Thanks
Just bought an Ultra and cannot get its remote to control the volume on my playbar. I followed the instructions in the Setting up a new TV or Cable remote with the Sonos PLAYBAR or PLAYBASE faq and had no luck. The sonos infrared receiver was not recognizing my Roku remote upon pressing the volume up button. Anyone else had any luck?
Same question. I have the latest Roku Stick with volume and power control on the remote, and before I buy the Playbar, I want to know if I will be able to control volume from my single remote. Honestly, I will have to go with a different soundbar if I can't. Sonos Customer Support wasn't able to answer.
Not sure which remote is associated with that stick, but I'd point you to

https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?t=93599

Note, the PLAYBAR and PLAYBASE work off of IR commands, so if your ROKU remote is wifi, it won't be able to control the Sonos. Not sure if there's a feature that forces the remote to work with IR, since I don't own one, nor have I done any research, but much like the LG Magic remote, it has to be in IR mode for it to work with the Sonos equipment.
Not sure which remote is associated with that stick, but I'd point you to

https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?t=93599

Note, the PLAYBAR and PLAYBASE work off of IR commands, so if your ROKU remote is wifi, it won't be able to control the Sonos. Not sure if there's a feature that forces the remote to work with IR, since I don't own one, nor have I done any research, but much like the LG Magic remote, it has to be in IR mode for it to work with the Sonos equipment.
Old thread, but I can confirm that I was just able to successfully set up my Roku Streaming Stick+ remote to control the volume on my Playbar (using the Playbar's learning process in the Sonos app on my phone).