Answered

Ripoff with system upgrades

Does anyone else feel like they are getting ripped off by Sonos.  I bought many products just a few years ago and now they have a new Sonos 2 app that is requiring I buy all new products (at a pathetic discount) in order to use their system?  AND… to top it off, they have you return your equipment to them so that they can, no doubt, refurbish and resell at a premium.  I LOVED my sonos, but then I went to buy a new Sonos Roam for my wife for Mother’s Day.  That is when I learned that I can’t have the S1 app and Sonos 2 app work together… nope… I basically need to upgrade all of my perfectly fine equipment (soundbar, sub, play 5, connect) just to move to a new Sonos 2 app????  WHAT an EPIC ripoff.

I am glad there are new competitors in this space. Sonos lost a customer and everyone I know that I used to tell sonos about, will get an updated email from me.  I feel completely ripped off!

icon

Best answer by ratty 25 May 2022, 15:44

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Userlevel 7

You don’t have to return your equipment to Sonos.

The roam will work fine on S2 and all your present kit will work just as well on S1 - Sonos isn't forcing you to abandon S1, unless you want the Roam to play the same music at the same time in perfect sync as the other Sonos kit you have. Do you really need that feature is the question you have to answer.

Did you buy your Sonos speakers used?  You said you bought them a few years ago, but anything bought new a few years ago would be compatible with an S2 setup.  Your profile says you have a Play”5 Gen 1, which Sonos stopped selling many years back  The Connect:Amp may or may not be compatible with S2, but again, that depends on the age of the product.  Your other products listed looked like they are all S2 compatible.

And as already pointed out, there is no requirement to return your products you used for upgrade discounts to Sonos.  You can continue to use them, sell them, or recycle them as you wish.  And there is absolutely no way that Sonos could or would sell S1 only legacy products as refurbished.

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/certified-refurbished

All S1 devices were last sold in 2015, 7 years ago.  By any measure, 7 years is not “a few”. 

Also, S1 devices continue to work just as well as they did at the time of the split.  In no way are Sonos “requiring I buy all new products (at a pathetic discount) in order to use their system.”  You can use the system exactly the way you did before.  You just can’t add new devices to the old system.

Here we go again.

OP joined today.  Gets lots of facts wrong.  This is the troll’s topic of choice.

TROLL.  Ignore.

Ignore.

Or give them 227 pages of posts to read. 

In this case, it’s entirely possible that OP isn’t trolling, but just very much misinformed and/or made some inaccurate assumptions.  I wouldn’t be surprised if OP actually has all S2 compatible devices (play:5 gen 2 instead of gen 1) and doesn’t even realize it.

Deleted

Deleted

In response to an earlier post:

Play:5/Gen1 was officially discontinued 6.5 years ago, on November 20, 2015. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonos#List_of_current_and_past_products

Any stock still sold is not just old, it’s decidedly stale.

In this case, it’s entirely possible that OP isn’t trolling, but just very much misinformed and/or made some inaccurate assumptions.  I wouldn’t be surprised if OP actually has all S2 compatible devices (play:5 gen 2 instead of gen 1) and doesn’t even realize it.

I would be more surprised if he has any Sonos devices. 

But still available to purchase...

But still available to purchase...

Here is where it gets tricky: Sonos would probably say that none such sold as new are from their authorised distributors. The problem of course is how does the average user know if a seller is such an entity or not? Assuming said user even knows these differences and looks for them.

I agree with wrobinson5, despite all of the facts  not being correct.  They are taking advantage of customers.  

I agree with wrobinson5, despite all of the facts  not being correct.  They are taking advantage of customers.  

The s1/S2 split was two years ago, and you are just signing up today to complain?