REQUEST SONOS App to iWatch

• 29 March 2017
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 2
SONOS is a great system but I can't believe they has not developed an App to Apple Watch. I would like SONOS listen all people are happy with their products but demand more from them. In this case, an App to control the system from the iWatch. Please leave your comment and add you to this request

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2
It's not Sonos' job to develop the Apps that work on 3rd party devices. As I understand it Sonos provide all of the source data to allow developers to create the apps they want to for integration with Sonos.
So, as much of this is down to whether Apple want to work with Sonos on this.
I may be wrong.
Badge +20
Android devices, iOS devices - all third party yet Sonos have developed apps. Its possible that the next iWatch will come with a cellular connection whuch coukd make it more popular. it really depends on unit sales before Sonos would invest time and money.

There is at least one app available that is not built by Sonos.
I'd love to have a look at the backlog of things requested for the Sonos team to work on, and then a gander at the number of actual resources they have to work on them.

As a guess, I'd suspect that their backlog is heavily influenced by both marketing and corporate direction, and they work on things that are prioritized by those people (like the current emphasis on voice control via Amazon's Echo/Alexa devices). Certainly, they don't have all of their resources dedicated to that, otherwise we wouldn't have just gotten software release 7.2, although I suspect there's a certain amount of things in that release that will support the coming changes.

Sure, I'd support them doing a Watch controller, even though I don't have a watch. But I'd want them to do it for both Android watches and Apple watches.

But I'm not certain how "important" a request this is, since you'd basically be getting "play" and "stop" out of it. Or at least I can't easily figure out how to get queue management out of such a small amount of space.

It's been requested before, many times. And they've said they'll pass the request along to the team, without a commitment that it will be done. So, don't hold your breath, but don't be surprised if it shows up some day, either.
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
+1 for an Apple Watch app but I've request before and haven't seen anything on it. Yes, there are third party apps but there very poorly reviewed. I just want an official app that I can play/pause/next song. Force touch to change groups. That's it.
You can actually do some of this right now. If you're controlling Sonos from you phone you can bring up "Now Playing" on your watch. In my case I have the Music app on my watch and "Now Playing" displays as a different screen right after that when music is playing. You'll see the Sonos logo in the upper left and from this screen you can control volume using the Digital Crown as well as pause or skip to the next track or back to the previous. Rudimentary but at least it's something.
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
You can actually do some of this right now. If you're controlling Sonos from you phone you can bring up "Now Playing" on your watch. In my case I have the Music app on my watch and "Now Playing" displays as a different screen right after that when music is playing. You'll see the Sonos logo in the upper left and from this screen you can control volume using the Digital Crown as well as pause or skip to the next track or back to the previous. Rudimentary but at least it's something.

We realize this but it only works when the Sonos app is in the foreground and even then, it doesn't work consistently. Now Playing is just a stopgap. An official Apple Watch app would be a far better experience.
Agreed, I just wanted to point out that SOME functionality is there but by no means what a full fledged control app should consist of.
It's a win, win, win when they made it. Apple:D,Sonos:D and we all:D
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
Hi, i use ZonePlay from the apple app store and it works pretty well on my watch, i can control the 3 ‘’rooms’’ that we have setup, ZonePlay par Betware Limited. Hope this helps!