Replacement CR100?

• 31 January 2018
  • 81 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5
What's best to replace the CR100 ?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

81 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
More info on

https://www.howtogeek.com/178303/how-to-turn-your-kindle-fire-into-a-totally-kid-friendly-tablet-with-freetime/
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sounds to me with locked to Freetime on Fire it can just have the Sonos app available and no others.
Hi Kenneth,

Seems like I had similar requirements to you, and I think I've managed to achieve most of what I was looking for.

Rather than buying a new device, I dusted off an old (gen 1) Motorola Moto G, and upgraded it with LineageOS, so it's running Android 7.1 and should remain supported for a while. I chose a minimal install that gave access to the Play Store, but without any of the other Google apps, as they aren't needed. I only did this as the device was old and no longer receiving OS upgrades from Motorola. Whilst the Sonos app would have worked without the upgrade (the Moto G's last official OS was 5.11) I'm hoping this will extend it's useful life with a minimal amount of effort on my part in the future. Time will tell...

I bought a cheap wireless charging stand & a wireless changing receiver from Ebay (as I saw recommended on another thread here). These turned up yesterday, and so far are working OK. The receiver is very thin and fits inside the back case of the Moto G, so an additional case wasn't required.Despite claiming to be fast charging, they didn't seem very fast to me, but took the device from flat to fully charged in a couple of hours. That's fine for my use case, as it will spend most of its time on the charging stand anyway. The charging stand is a round disk set at a 45% angle with a small lip at the bottom. It's a bit slippy and if it becomes too annoying I might replace it with a slightly better one.

I created a separate Google account for the device, and installed the "Fully Kiosk Browser" application from the Play Store as recommended by Daniel_128. This took a bit of tweaking, but after configuring it in single app mode, it now launches the Sonos app when the device is turned on. It's not perfect (I can't fully get rid of the navigation buttons at present due to them being controlled by the running app) but it does make it pretty impossible to break out of the app without a fairly determined effort (needs a special screen tapping pattern followed by a pin to get to the setup screen). It also supports enabling the screen when it detects motion, so the screen comes on as soon as I pick up the device.

Finally, I disabled the lock screen, and configured the navigation buttons to auto-hide. I'm pretty satisfied that it replicates the CR100 as much as possible for a re-purposed phone. The volume controls work, and I'm pleased with its responsiveness. I'd certainly be happy to give it to my children without worrying that they were secretly checking out pictures of HomePods on the internet. The total cost to me was about £17 (charging stand, receiver & Fully Kiosk license).
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Sounds to me with locked to Freetime on Fire it can just have the Sonos app available and no others.
Thanks Chris - Kids profile on the Fires is the way I had already gone, but I wasn’t aware it was available on other Android devices. I’ll look into that and the kiosk app mentioned by richp.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Hi Kenneth,

Seems like I had similar requirements to you, and I think I've managed to achieve most of what I was looking for.

Rather than buying a new device, I dusted off an old (gen 1) Motorola Moto G, and upgraded it with LineageOS, so it's running Android 7.1 and should remain supported for a while. I chose a minimal install that gave access to the Play Store, but without any of the other Google apps, as they aren't needed. I only did this as the device was old and no longer receiving OS upgrades from Motorola. Whilst the Sonos app would have worked without the upgrade (the Moto G's last official OS was 5.11) I'm hoping this will extend it's useful life with a minimal amount of effort on my part in the future. Time will tell...

I bought a cheap wireless charging stand & a wireless changing receiver from Ebay (as I saw recommended on another thread here). These turned up yesterday, and so far are working OK. The receiver is very thin and fits inside the back case of the Moto G, so an additional case wasn't required.Despite claiming to be fast charging, they didn't seem very fast to me, but took the device from flat to fully charged in a couple of hours. That's fine for my use case, as it will spend most of its time on the charging stand anyway. The charging stand is a round disk set at a 45% angle with a small lip at the bottom. It's a bit slippy and if it becomes too annoying I might replace it with a slightly better one.

I created a separate Google account for the device, and installed the "Fully Kiosk Browser" application from the Play Store as recommended by Daniel_128. This took a bit of tweaking, but after configuring it in single app mode, it now launches the Sonos app when the device is turned on. It's not perfect (I can't fully get rid of the navigation buttons at present due to them being controlled by the running app) but it does make it pretty impossible to break out of the app without a fairly determined effort (needs a special screen tapping pattern followed by a pin to get to the setup screen). It also supports enabling the screen when it detects motion, so the screen comes on as soon as I pick up the device.

Finally, I disabled the lock screen, and configured the navigation buttons to auto-hide. I'm pretty satisfied that it replicates the CR100 as much as possible for a re-purposed phone. The volume controls work, and I'm pleased with its responsiveness. I'd certainly be happy to give it to my children without worrying that they were secretly checking out pictures of HomePods on the internet. The total cost to me was about £17 (charging stand, receiver & Fully Kiosk license).

Thanks richp, I’m off to give that a go. I have ordered a cover and wireless charging receiver from Amazon, though not sure how well that will work as the micro usb is offset on the Lenovo and i could only find a receiver that is not offset. I already have a charging pad so I’ll try it in combination with that for starters..... let’s see 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
It seems a shame that we are having to work all this out for ourselves. I am not tech-clever enough to follow all the steps discussed here, that is why I purchased Sonos in the first place, it WAS very simple to set up (just plug in and follow the three step setup).

Rather than a £100 voucher it would have been more helpful if Sonos could have done a deal with another hardware manufacturer and offered us the option of purchasing a replacement (already configured) unit at a small discount. Win, Win, Win - Sonos get the credit for looking after their user base (rather than being flamed), the other hardware manufacturer get some sales and most likely a future income stream and we get a simple replacement option without all the heartache!

But life is never as simple as it should be!! 😉
It seems a shame that we are having to work all this out for ourselves. I am not tech-clever enough to follow all the steps discussed here, that is why I purchased Sonos in the first place, it WAS very simple to set up (just plug in and follow the three step setup).

Rather than a £100 voucher it would have been more helpful if Sonos could have done a deal with another hardware manufacturer and offered us the option of purchasing a replacement (already configured) unit at a small discount. Win, Win, Win - Sonos get the credit for looking after their user base (rather than being flamed), the other hardware manufacturer get some sales and most likely a future income stream and we get a simple replacement option without all the heartache!

But life is never as simple as it should be!! ;)
i can only agree that that would have been a better approach from Sonos, although I am sceptical about the pre-configuration.

Setting up these tablets is straightforward with lots of hand-holding. Making them safe for child use yet still convenient takes a bit more work but Google is your friend. I can understand frustration at having to do it at all, but I don't think anyone should be daunted by it.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
[quote=

Setting up these tablets is straightforward with lots of hand-holding. Making them safe for child use yet still convenient takes a bit more work but Google is your friend. I can understand frustration at having to do it at all, but I don't think anyone should be daunted by it.[/quote]

Agreed, its just finding the time to play about with it - and overcoming my (irrational?) dislike of Android - I had one of the early Samsung Tabs and could not get on with it. Maybe they are better now.
overcoming my (irrational?) dislike of Android - I had one of the early Samsung Tabs and could not get on with it.
That could have been because of all the TouchWiz stuff which Samsung insists on layering on top. A phone or tablet with a vanilla Android UX (or close enough) may suit you.
Userlevel 1
I have purchased a Fire 7 tablet and it is my understanding that you cannot pin the Sonos app on this device as suggested. If it is possible to do (contrary to what I have been advised by one person in the community), can someone with knowledge please provide detailed steps for doing so. I did figure out how to set up so tablet is constantly on when charging, but pinning the app has not been something I have been able to do despite diligent efforts to do so. Thanks.
Badge +4
Like a few others in this topic, I have several CR100's, the only one I use regularly is the one in the master bathroom -though I don't take it in the shower like someone else, I do often handle it with wet hands. As of this morning I have upgraded to the latest software and removed all the CR100's. My wife's 2nd gen iPad is now in the master bath - but I'm looking to see if anyone has come up with a reasonably priced alternative that is "water resistant"? I was thinking of a 6th gen iTouch with some type of waterproof case (if exists). I recall some Samsung phones claim to be waterproof. But I really want a solution that's not the cost of another Play:5 (would rather have another Play 5). :?:?
Stayed the week in a nice business class hotel. The rooms were equipped with a Nexus tablet in a wireless charging cradle, with locked down software. Very nice solution, would be far superior to the CR100 as a Sonos remote.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
... Very nice solution, would be far superior to the CR100 as a Sonos remote.Well you may think so but (as I think you must be aware) not for everyone!

Not wall mountable, not splash-proof, no hard buttons and that is just for starters! 😛
Well you may think so but (as I think you must be aware) not for everyone!

Not wall mountable, not splash-proof, no hard buttons and that is just for starters! :P

And you shall be aware that nowadays a dedicated Sonos Remote device would prove itself a dead wood on the retailer's shelf.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Well you may think so but (as I think you must be aware) not for everyone!

Not wall mountable, not splash-proof, no hard buttons and that is just for starters! :P

And you shall be aware that nowadays a dedicated Sonos Remote device would prove itself a dead wood on the retailer's shelf.

Aware - But not the issue of this tread which is good (or at least the best) alternative for a CR100. On that subject I was taking issue with the phrase "be far superior to the CR100 as a Sonos remote."
[...] Aware - But not the issue of this tread which is good (or at least the best) alternative for a CR100. On that subject I was taking issue with the phrase "be far superior to the CR100 as a Sonos remote."
Well, the CR100 has been a partially supported piece of hardware for a long time now (since 2013?); to that effect the Android/ioS controller is far superior to the CR100.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
[...] Aware - But not the issue of this tread which is good (or at least the best) alternative for a CR100. On that subject I was taking issue with the phrase "be far superior to the CR100 as a Sonos remote."
Well, the CR100 has been a partially supported piece of hardware for a long time now (since 2013?); to that effect the Android/ioS controller is far superior to the CR100.
We must agree to differ on that then. As nothing the CR100 cannot do is need by us and what it does do, it does better than any of the Apps (and this has been the case since 2009 when CR100 support ended).
We must agree to differ on that then. As nothing the CR100 cannot do is need by us and what it does do, it does better than any of the Apps (and this has been the case since 2009 when CR100 support ended).
Don't confuse a subjective statement with an objective one. In absence of some important system management features on the CR100, a full supported desktop or mobile controller is required in order to manage your music library, create a stereo pair, rename a room etc. That is what I meant.

Do I REALLY need to point out all the splash proof cases and wall mounts available for tablets? Besides, a Sonos One doesn’t need to be touched at all, so it’s the perfect bathroom and kitchen solution, without the need for buttons. This thread is about replacing the CR100, not whining about its demise.

https://www.armor-x.com/case/google-nexus/nexus-pad.html?dir=asc&order=news_from_date

Do I REALLY need to point out all the splash proof cases and wall mounts available for tablets? Besides, a Sonos One doesn’t need to be touched at all, so it’s the perfect bathroom and kitchen solution, without the need for buttons. This thread is about replacing the CR100, not whining about its demise.

https://www.armor-x.com/case/google-nexus/nexus-pad.html?dir=asc&order=news_from_date

Unfortunately the Sonos One is still running a beta version of the Sonos skill which does not support local libraries. Since many CR100 users listen to local music exclusively this will not (yet) work as an alternative.

The Nexus has no hard buttons which makes it a non starter unless it has some other alternative to a touch screen like voice control.

The best replacement I have found so far is the NEEO remote which has hard buttons, a nice display, and does not rely on the controller app which many CR100 users are looking to avoid.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Whoa!!! where did "whining" come in?? Not to mention that I have said nothing about the demise of CR100 (whining or otherwise) here.

I do however take issue with your statement that a Nexus tablet "would be far superior to the CR100", it might be better in some respects but not far superior overall (YMMV!).

I also disagreed with Smilja's view that the limited functionality of the CR100 since 2009 meant that a device offering full control (such as managing your music library, create a stereo pair, rename a room etc.) was therefore far superior. As we have a long standing and stable set-up we have no need to any of these things. So I agreed to differ with Smilja on this, as I understand their view, and it will always different be from mine.

Now back to your question "Do I REALLY need to point out ..." - No you do not.

Nor do I need to list out the functions any replacement for the CR100 should have, as you are well aware of them, even if you try and underplay/belittle them.

So far the NEEO looks the best CR100 replacement if/when it allows Zone grouping/up-grouping and alarm setting. The lack of wall mountablitiy and splash-proofing are a shame but programmable hard buttons looks to be a bonus.
Badge +4
Like a few others in this topic, I have several CR100's, the only one I use regularly is the one in the master bathroom -though I don't take it in the shower like someone else, I do often handle it with wet hands. As of this morning I have upgraded to the latest software and removed all the CR100's. My wife's 2nd gen iPad is now in the master bath - but I'm looking to see if anyone has come up with a reasonably priced alternative that is "water resistant"? I was thinking of a 6th gen iTouch with some type of waterproof case (if exists). I recall some Samsung phones claim to be waterproof. But I really want a solution that's not the cost of another Play:5 (would rather have another Play 5). :?:?
Badge +4
After digging around, found that my wife had a Samsung Galaxy S5 in her closet (replaced in turn by S7 and S8). So I started work on a factory reset, did some research and found demos of the S5 being left under water for an hour and doing fine. So loaded up Sonos app, pinned it as per directions and its doing fine. The issue of finding a wall mounted charging cradle for an S5 is a challenge. Found a desk docking station that I think I can pair with a Sonos CC100 (cradle) with some careful cutting and trimming and get it back into the same place as the former CR100. This might actually work. Some issues with pinning - it does not persist across power rebooting and software install/update may require the app to be unpinned. But once learned (and it's different on each Android version), it's not that hard to do. There are some Kiosk apps around that off persistence, but you still need to deal with getting access to Settings and/or PlayStore. My 2 cents.. 😃
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I believe the S5 battery back can be replaced to be a wireless charging back.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
Have a look at the Vizio XR6M10 on ebay, makes a great Android Sonos controller and cheap