Replace the CR100 with a new controller

• 10 April 2018
  • 4 replies

Design a new piece of equipment that doesn't have lithium battery issues but functions like the CR100.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

I'm going to add some details here to get things started. I've had Sonos equipment for around 10 years. Early forums talked about problems with the CR100 battery, something about overheating, freezing, etc. Since it sounded like charging the battery 24/7 was the issue, early on I connected the charger to a timer and so I charge my controller 4 hours every day. It has never overheated to my knowledge nor frozen the way users complained in the forum. My favorite thing about the CR100 is that I use it as an Alarm Clock. It is kept next to my bed and when the music goes off I can feel the 3 buttons and press Stop or Snooze depending on what I want to do. Plus, when the alarm goes off and you activate the screen you get the time.

So, what would be nice would be to have a controller that didn't have a lithium battery but had all the features of the CR100, plus maybe not having to press a button to activate the time display (have an option to display the time continuously or only when the alarm went off), but would also work as a controller when you want to. I had a Sony DASH until they stopped supporting that but I don't think Sonos ever created a widget for it.

I really love my Sonos system the way it is and am disappointed at losing the simplicity and convenience the CR100 provided. Hopefully, some of the rest of you feel the same and will let Sonos and their engineers know about it.
I think it is much worse that that; not disappointment, it's an absolute disgrace that we can no longer use a piece of equipment that we bought. Our cars don't stop working on a day when the manufacturer decides "no more". I am absolutely furious about this.Every owner of a CR100 should be furious about this and should make their feelings known to Sonos urgently.
I had one, but I got a voucher and now I have 'ONE'.

Alexa wakes me up every morning and I just say 'Alexa, Stop'. It’s much easier, I find.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Point of clarification: Lithium battery technology is great. Do not fall for Sonos's whining about it. If they had problems with CR100's overheating, that is either a bad charging system design or a faulty battery. Surprised they essentially admit to this liability.

But here is a solution: Take the battery out and run on mains only. Then the kids don't carry them off to remote corners...