Removing room in app

• 30 January 2019
  • 51 replies

For some reason I have 2 rooms showing in the Room Settings. How do I delete one within the app? When we have to reconnect our :one units because they get disconnected in the app, it's creating a new room.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

51 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, TyJ. I'm not quite sure I understand. The app. only ever shows the number of devices present on the system, and this includes the room settings. How many devices / rooms do you have?
There's only one room that was setup. We grouped our Playbase and 2 Sonos Ones. When the Ones lose connection, which happens once a month or so and we have to regroup them, that is when all of a sudden we have TV Room2 added as an additional setup.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
It sounds like the devices are becoming unbonded from the Playbase when that happens. When it happens again, please submit a diagnostic and respond with the confirmation number. Many thanks in advance.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
This is a Gong Show! Will someone please just list an answer on how to delete a room in Sonos.
This is a Gong Show! Will someone please just list an answer on how to delete a room in Sonos.
Kindly stop posting the same question across multiple threads. It's considered to be bad manners.

I tried to answer on another thread but it's not clear what on earth you're trying to achieve. To 'remove a room' turn it off at the wall. To permanently remove it, factory reset the device. To rename a room just go into room settings and give it a new name.

If what you want is to add speakers as surrounds to a Beam, well, simply use the Add Surrounds option for the Beam.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Been there done that and it does NOT work! Thx for the reply, but as you can see by all the posts this continues to be an issue for all. Thx and will try again
An issue for all? Hardly.

I still don't know what it is you're trying to achieve: whether it's to get rid of a 'room' from the controller or merely to bond some speakers in a surround setup.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
I am just a paying customer who cannot properly use the product I purchased. Hopefully I can get my problem solved via the phone on Monday. Sorry folks like you are attacking us paying customers that have issues with no answers from Sonos or those on this forum. Sad, Sad, very sad. :--(
It still isn't clear exactly what your problem is. Here the story appeared to involve surround speakers for a Beam, for which answers were offered.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Again....How do you delete a "room" from our Sonos app, so my Sonos Speakers all get their audio from one "Room" and not two "rooms". Again for the 10th time. How do we delete a room from our Sonos App???
For the 10th time you are asking a completely meaningless question. There is no means to 'delete a room in the app' because there is never a need to do so. You need to accept that you have misunderstood something fundamental and then we might be able to help. Please state exactly what speakers you have, where they are physically located and how you want them to behave.

In your current setup, what are the two rooms called. If you play to one of those rooms, which speaker plays? And what about the other room?
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
JB,

Thx

Let me try this again.

All in one small room I have:

Sonos Beam under the TV
Sonos 1 on one end table 8' away
Sonos 1 on the other end table 8' away

All worked perfectly until yesterday, when for some reason the Sonos 1's were not connected to the Beam with only the Beam playing audio

In my attempts to re-connect the Sonos 1's to the Beam, I mistakenly added another Room. Now one of the Sono 1's plays to "Room 1" while the Beam and the other Sonos 1, plays to "Room 2"

I have:
Disconnected the router/wifi for a few minutes
Have turn Beam and both Sonos 1's off for a few minutes
Tried using the IOS Sonos app to try to reconnect

Used the iPhone APP to try to re-connect and still not right.
So the Ones were surrounds, as suspected. I'm not sure how the system's been left with just one surround speaker, but the following should resolve things:
- Power the Beam off.
- Factory reset both Ones. See https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1096
- Power the Beam on again.
- Use 'Add Surrounds' in the Beam room settings.
I agree with @ratty. Possibly you have 'grouped' the Beam and one of the Sonos Ones, but the factory reset of the Ones should sort that out if so. Do NOT reset the Beam - just follow @ratty's guidance exactly and it should resolve. The surrounds will be subsumed into the Beam 'room' and only one room will appear in your controller.

Unless..... there is some fault on one of the speakers that prevents it playing ball. It is just possible that whatever caused them to separate is preventing your getting them back together again. But let's cross that bridge if we come to it.

The problem you faced was not to delete a room, but to get all your speakers to appear and function as a single entity, i.e. 'room'.
I get the impression @mcdonald44 was perhaps 'grouping', rather than 'bonding' their speakers together. What John says seems to make sense. It explains why the user was seeing two 'Rooms' instead of one... @Ratty's advice above, needs to be followed to quickly resolve the issue, once and for all.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Thx Ratty, That makes sense...will give that a try
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
The Gong Show continues :--((. Tried all Ratty said to do and still one Sonos Play 1 in on Room 1 and the Other Sonos Play 1 in on Room 2...

Beam is off and will not turn on until I get both Sonos Play 1's working together.

First question...is there a difference between "Sonos Ones" and Sonos Play 1?

Still would like to go back to my original question how do you delete a "Room"
The Gong Show continues :--((. Tried all Ratty said to do and still one Sonos Play 1 in on Room 1 and the Other Sonos Play 1 in on Room 2...They can't possibly be, if you factory reset them and added them back to the system. They would have gone into whatever rooms you yourself specifically nominated, or been subsumed into the Beam's room if you added them as surrounds. (What is this "gong" stuff anyway?)

Beam is off and will not turn on until I get both Sonos Play 1's working together.
What, you won't turn it on? In that case you didn't follow the instructions, which included "Power the Beam on again". If you're saying the Beam itself won't turn on even when you apply power then there's something going seriously wrong.

There is, but for the sake of this exercise they're equivalent. (If they're Play:1s, not Ones, that's my error. Ignore it.)

Follow the instructions you've already been given.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Ratty, you are the best, but this Sonos system is not!

Sort of pissed I did not know Sonos makes "Sonos One" as well as, "Sonos Play 1" a perfect example of the Gong is to have two different speakers with similar names

\\The Gong Show continues :--((. Tried all Ratty said to do and still one Sonos Play 1 in on Room 1 and the Other Sonos Play 1 in on Room 2...They can't possibly be, if you factory reset them and added them back to the system. They would have gone into whatever rooms you yourself specifically nominated, or been subsumed into the Beam's room if you added them as surrounds. (What is this "gong" stuff anyway?)

Yup, one speaker is playing to Room 2 and the other is playing to Room 1. That is why I have been asking how to "delete a room" Yup the Gong show continues

What, you won't turn it on? In that case you didn't follow the instructions, which included "Power the Beam on again". If you're saying the Beam itself won't turn on even when you apply power then there's something going seriously wrong.

Beam is off, so that I can get the two Sonos Play 1's to work together like they did "perfectly" before I got the Beam.

There is, but for the sake of this exercise they're equivalent. (If they're Play:1s, not Ones, that's my error. Ignore it.)

Yup, that is silly they would give to "different" speakers "similar" names

Follow the instructions you've already been given.

Still having HUGE issues.

Cannot thank you enough for your help, and if all continues to fail, planning to call Sonos tomorrow/Monday.
Beam is off, so that I can get the two Sonos Play 1's to work together like they did "perfectly" before I got the Beam.

If that's what you want, then go to the room settings for 'Room 1' and hit 'Create Stereo Pair'.

Note that this won't put the pair into the same room as the Beam. You could then group the pair with the Beam, but for TV sound they wouldn't be in sync. For that you'd need to add the Play:1s as surrounds, which is where we came in...
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Ratty, semi-success. I now got my two Sonos Play 1's working together, like there were so perfectly for two years until two days ago :--) I did set both of the Sonos Play 1's back to factory settings and then re-added and all is good :--)

Now onto to syncing with the Beam. The Beam is set to my TV and audio is working, but cannot add the Beam to the two Sonos Play 1's.

Any suggestions? Should I also set the Beam back to factory settings too? Will wait for your reply.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
p.s. I still have two room setting on my apps and not sure how to delete one and/or select "primary room" for all the speakers to stream audio too. Still very, very annoying.
We're been over this already. You presumably want to add the Play:1s to the Beam's room as surround speakers. For the (hopefully) last time: to add the Play:1s to the Beam as surround speakers, go to the Beam's room settings and hit 'Add surrounds'.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Ratty,

Please know all was working perfectly two days ago!

Now, I cannot add the Beam as a speaker. Did the power on/off thing then hit the button in the back and was told to wait for a chime and the chime never came.

also

How do I know what room the Beam is playing too. and what "room" the Sonos 1's are plating too. Continue to have "two rooms" on my IOS Sonos app.

Yup I appreciate your help, and hope the Sonos folks know about these issues and also know the great help you are giving us.
Ratty,
hope the Sonos folks know about these issues and also know the great help you are giving us.
There is no issue for them to know about. You didn't follow @ratty's instructions. Best to call Sonos, I agree.