Answered

Remove Update Notification

• 31 January 2019
  • 24 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14
I guess I already know the answer - no. In fact I want to remove the 'Update Now' icon - I don't want an update and don't need to be reminded everytime I use the desktop app.
icon

Best answer by Keith N 4 February 2019, 18:27

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

24 replies

More > Settings > Advanced Settings and turn "Auto Check for Updates" to 'Off'.
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
Nope - no 'More > Settings > Advanced Settings and turn "Auto Check for Updates" to 'Off'.' on my desktop app
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
Still hoping to find a way on the desktop controller to suppress the Update Now icon ....

Anybody?
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
How can jgatie's reply be labelled 'best answer' when it doesn't answer the question ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
castalla: You cannot remove the notification for a new update. In order to dismiss this notification, you need to update. If you do not want to receive updates (and in turn, the notifications) in the future, you would need to go to the More tab > Settings > System Updates and switch off Automatic Updates. This setting cannot be changed on the desktop controller.
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
Just as I suspected .... another 'fail' for the software developers. And another 'less than satisfied' end-user.

Squeezebox has had the ability to hide/remove menu items for years ... Sonos desktop app has become more and more user-unfriendly with every update.
Just as I suspected .... another 'fail' for the software developers. And another 'less than satisfied' end-user.

Squeezebox has had the ability to hide/remove menu items for years ... Sonos desktop app has become more and more user-unfriendly with every update.

Squeezebox hasn't been sold in years, despite the few hundred of you propping up it's corpse like Norman Bate's mommy.

And the "switch off Automatic Updates" works across platforms, though the setting can only be changed on the iOS/Android app. Thus my answer is most certainly a correct answer to the question posed in the OP.
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
LMS is updated frequently - at least once a month with compatibility across windows, linux and mac versions. Hardly ever a hiccup is reported, and when it infrequently goes wrong there's a fix within hours Heck, you can even downgrade if you want. But why would you downgrade as updates always provide improvement and new features compared to the recent Sonos 'updates'!

Your reply suggested there was a 'setting' to remove the update icon - there isn't for the desktop app, as Keith N confirmed So your reply was inaccurate especially as I specifically mentioned DESKTOP in my original post.
No, the setting applies to all controllers, but can only be changed on the mobile controller. In other words, shut it off on the mobile controller and the desktop no longer checks.
This assumes you do not currently have a mismatch between controller(s) and hardware versions, as explained by Keith. So as I said, the answer is accurate, if you no longer wish to be reminded of updates, turn that setting to Off on the mobile controller.

As to the Squeezebox nonsense, if Squeeze has .0001% of the market, I'll eat my shirt. That is a dead product, no matter how long you cling to its corpse. But your loyalty to a long deceased product is quite cute. Laughable, of course, but still cute.
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
Well, you may be right about the mobile controller switch off. I guess I need to ignore the Playstore notifications that there's an update and not rely on the app itself to give notifications.

You must have had a very scarring experience with Squeezebox to be so dismissive of such a flexible and long-lasting solution to media streaming.

I guess it's the difference between a Corporist approach to society rather than the Cooperative one - a bit like the USA polity versus European social democracy! But, let's keep politics out of the picture ... sorry!
No scarring experience at all. And I've read enough of the Squeezebox support forums to know know "flexible and long lasting" is more like "unreliable and unstable", or was I imagining the "load the latest beta to get rid of that bug, but add these bugs" pattern of advice.
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
Imagination, I think! I've had the so-called beta nightly LMS installed on a raspi for about 5 years 24/7 - I can count the number of times it has failed on the fingers of one hand - usually a network router issue rather than the software itself. I admit some of the earlier plugins are flaky and outdated!
Well since I haven't looked at the Squeeze forum since the product failed miserably and became totally irrelevant, I admit my experience is years old. 😃
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
Well, maybe you should give it another go - you might be surprised! Heck, you could even try it out with your Sonos as players.

I suppose it all hangs on which services you want, as many of the 'esoteric' ones that Sonos offers aren't available. Two notable omissions are Google Play music and Amazon. But the BBC iplayer makes up for that in my book.

A plus is that it's not an either/or choice - you can have both Sonos and LMS together
No thanks. I like my products to be an actual product I can buy, with silly things like warranties and support.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
But the BBC iplayer makes up for that in my book.
If one is enough of a hobbyist to set up LMS, it is fairly simple to enable Sonos to use BBC iPlayer, as I have done.
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
@pwt

Any clues?
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
@jgatie

Buy???!!! LMS is free. Squeezeplay (software player) is free. 24/7 support on the community forum (by and from experts, )not employees pushing the company line) and nobody will tell you to take a hike!
@jgatie

Buy???!!! LMS is free. Squeezeplay (software player) is free. 24/7 support on the community forum (by and from experts, )not employees pushing the company line) and nobody will tell you to take a hike!

I said "buy" meaning I can actually buy the product, with all the warranties and support that go with it. I find that when you get something "free", most often you get just what you paid for. Even when I get shareware, I buy a supported version, ala Red Hat. I don't feel secure relying on amateurs in their basement for my software, especially when it is released with no formal QA. I develop, maintain, and support software at work, I'll be damned if I'm going to do it in my leisure time.
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
I agree in most part with what you say ... but amazingly I've found that squeezebox bucks the trend. Many years on after Logitech gave up on media streaming they kept their online site going and provide facilities for the forum to continue. About 95% of the plugins are free.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
@pwt Any clues?
BBC iPlayer / BBC Sounds audio programs on Sonos: Easiest option for Apple devices is Airplay to any Sonos speaker using AirConnect [1]. Works brilliantly and runs happily on a Raspberry Pi. Second option is 'get_iplayer' (Google it) to cache iPlayer programs temporarily as part of your local library. There are more sophisticated things one can do, but these work well for me.

[1] https://github.com/philippe44/AirConnect
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
Hm ... no easier than upnp bridge and 'real' iplayer plugin. And I hate fiddling with those silly smartphones! Thanks, anyway.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
And I hate fiddling with those silly smartphones! Thanks, anyway.
I use this stuff as much from my Macs as my iDevices. And, if you cache iPlayer content (or use one of the more sophisticated approaches i alluded to), there's no need for AirPlay.

When I first started using Sonos and educated myself, I was impressed with the system design, sound quality, capabilities, and overall stability. There were three main things missing for me: AirPlay support, iPlayer support, and IR control for a couple of the devices. I quite quickly addressed all of these with 'hobbyist' -- but nevertheless reliable, easy-to-use and effective -- workarounds. (My wife happily uses all of this stuff without a clue how it works behind the scenes.) I also added a ton more automation using simple things like the Sonos HTTP API and cron jobs. So, in terms of how I use Sonos now, there are no real functional gaps.

FWIW, I've never used LMS, and I couldn't care less about it. If I wanted to know more, I'd head over to its actual forum.
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
I admire your approach!

Maybe have a look at LMS - runs easily on Pi (I use a pi zero w) and Mac There's a much applauded mac app (iPeng) to use as a controller.

Thanks again

ps: the community forum is at slimdevices not logitech