Remove the TuneIn from your controller app.

Just bought one of your products and installed the app. A nasty unpleasant surprise realizing you guys think a tie-in on a payed service/product is a smart move.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +9
TuneIn on Sonos offers you 100.000+ radio streams world wide for free, what are you talking about?
Yes a thoroughly ignorant original post. Sonos doesn't even use the tune in service. TuneIn just serves up the URLs, which Sonos then fetches directly.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
This is the 3rd post by the same user on this topic. They clearly don't like tune in 😃
What "payed (sic) service"? Tune-In is free. Matter of fact, the main complaint here about Tune-In is there is no way to access the premium features from a paid subscription.

I have to ask, did Tune-In kill your dog?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi tiguz, I just deleted a few of the posts where you brought some old threads back to life with the same question, let's keep the discussion all in one place.

I'm a bit confused, along with some of the other posters in this thread, as TuneIn on Sonos is free, and in fact, we don't have the ability to add paid TuneIn accounts to Sonos. Only the free features, their online radio stations, are available.

Once upon a time, we manually aggregated online radio stations ourselves, but when we partnered up with TuneIn to bring their massive radio catalog to our Sonos customers there was much rejoicing. I'll pass along the request to our software team for you to be able to remove the service from an existing system, but for now the best thing you can do is try to ignore it. Some music services have the option to play to Sonos directly, so you could potentially use one of those and not use the Sonos app much, though all of those services are paid too. Spotify Connect requires a Premium account, and doesn't work with their free service.

Have a good one! And let us know if you have any questions, maybe we aren't quite understanding what you're trying to share.
Badge +1

However, the "Radio by TuneIn" service does not sort alphabetically. It is promoted to the top of the list just under my Music Library. Why does Sonos "endorse" TuneIn and promote it to the top of each list — essentially making an exception to the standard service sort order?

I’m  also wondering, why is this like this?

And what data are you sharing with them?

Cant see it in the privacy terms. Here it is stated that you only share information(data) with other services if “I” (all of us) has agreed to use a service from a third part provider.. but i cant find out where I accepted tuneIn?

Sonos does not use the TuneIn service. Tunein just provides a lookup of URLs.  There is no Issue here. Please read the thread.

Badge +1

thanks John B. For fast the answer. But no answer was given..

So if i do a search for some thing.. no data is sent to tunein? but i get result back from tunein…?

okay i try again…

simple question:

Why cant i choose if i want to do this or not?

I use tunein more or less every day.. But like i wroth in the last post..

I’m also wondering, why is this like this?  that's it! im just wondering

What happens is that you choose a station. Sonos asks TuneIn to tell it what the streaming URL for that station is. Sonos links to that URL and you get to listen to your chosen station. 

That is how radio has always worked on Sonos.  

For the life of me I cannot see why anyone would have a problem with that.

Badge +1

Thanks again..

cool we all know your opinion on the subject. If we take the time to read the thread.

Still i like to here from the Sonos team, how this is( Why does Sonos "endorse" TuneIn), what data is shared and why cant i choose if i want tunein or not?

may be that there are good reasons? once again i am just wondering..

I'm out. Good luck Sonos team.

Userlevel 1
Badge

What happens is that you choose a station. Sonos asks TuneIn to tell it what the streaming URL for that station is. Sonos links to that URL and you get to listen to your chosen station. 

That is how radio has always worked on Sonos.  

For the life of me I cannot see why anyone would have a problem with that.

I think the question is more about the use (if any) of personal data in the transaction between the end user, Sonos and Tunein.  Tunein’s business model does seem to be partially based on the monetisation of service usage data.  This can be reasonably inferred from certain clauses in the EULA imposed by tunein on end users who use their services directly through a web browser or phone app for example.

The questioner seems to be enquiring about similar content if it exists in the agreement between Sonos and Tunein.  Whether Sonos is prepared to discuss that is up to them.  In my opinion, organisations including private commercial companies have a moral responsibility to be transparent about the use of individual’s personal data. In some jurisdictions they have legal responsibilities to varying degrees too.

Badge +1

I certainly doesn't hope that sonos need lock to answer those simple questions :joy:

It´s well written by Dreyfus, but i don´t think it´s up to Sonos or not. When a company's privacy policy are so impotent as sonos´s. They should be excited to answer…? 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I would suggest that the privacy policies of banks, insurance and healthcare companies are more important to most people than the privacy policies of the likes of Sonos and Tunein.  There is a principle  involved here, however, and, as I said, companies should be more transparent about what personal data they collect and how they use and profit from it.  

They should be excited to answer…? 

Generally speaking, the interests of those who run companies do not coincide completely with the interests or their customers.  This is where the law comes in.  In an ideal world, the law would seek to balance the interests of different groups in society.  In practice, the position of this balance varies.  In the European Economic Area people have rights specified by the General Data Protection Regulation.  The GDPR also specifies the corresponding responsibilities of organisations.  Elsewhere there are weaker rights or no rights for customers.  If you live in an EEA country you can look up your rights with respect to data protection on you government’s website including the procedures for asserting those rights.  If you do not live in an EEA country, as I note above, you probably have weaker or no rights.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

If you never click on the TuneIn icon, then no data will be sent to them (except the request for the icon, which is cached for future use).

If you do click on it and then one more level, a few SMAPI calls will be made, you can see exactly what on the developer site. As with any web service, TuneIn knows your IP address. If you click on Local stations, your zip code is also sent.

That’s it. Sonos use anonymous TuneIn, so there’s no account details to even pass on.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@BjarkeSS I think what controlav is saying is that there is little if anything to be concerned about with regard to the use of the Tunein facility on your Sonos system. 

For what it is worth I use the Tunein facility myself in the knowledge that certain information is shared.  I feel it is a fair exchange for an otherwise free service which I find convenient.

While I do not share you concerns in this case, I do recognise and understand why you might be concerned and I hope my posts have been of some use and interest to you.