Remove from queue after playing

• 28 April 2018
  • 7 replies

• Anonymous
  • 0 replies
Seems this question has been brought up before, but without the feature being present?

Is there no way to setup Sonos to remove tracks from the queue after playing - it's quite annoying finding something you played recently playing again as it's still in the queue / looped around or something.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Hi glynd

Unfortunately, there is no way to program the Sonos App to automatically remove songs from the queue or end a streaming session. If it were possible it would have to be a time-out feature of some sort. :?

Cheers!
Hi AjTrek1,

So, this should be a feature request?
By definition, things are removed from a queue - not persisted.

It’s unintuitive, and wasn’t what I expected coming from other music systems to try out sonos

Thanks,

Glyn
Userlevel 5
Badge +10

It’s unintuitive, and wasn’t what I expected coming from other music systems to try out sonos

I'm guessing you were expecting the queue to purge itself as it plays, wiping the (useful) memory of what you just listened to, rather than just "expire" completely when finished playing all items. Regarding "intuitive" queue UI, it's worth noting that the Sonos philosophy of "ephemeral" queues isn't respected equally by every Sonos "play" button, so, for example, when you start a new day's listening, finding an album/playlist and hitting "play all" clears the queue and starts a new one, but hitting "play next" keeps the old queue and inserts your selection, because, well, "reasons". It takes a little learning to figure out which buttons work best for your playback process.
Yes, I expect something I've queued up to be 'purged' after playback...

I'd at least like to option to be able to do that, even if the default is to keep tracks in the queue.
A more sensible option might be to transfer any tracks played from the queue into a dedicated playlist of 'played tracks' or something
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Previous-track can't work unless there IS a previous track. Removing an item from the queue after playback would break that. I have no problem with stuff in the queue, if I want to its easy enough to clear it or remove items.
controlav> Fair enough, however "you are not the world" and clearly neither am I

I'm just saying it's something I expect, at least as an option - and don't believe I'm alone.

Is there a process for feature requests like this ?
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Yes, I expect something I've queued up to be 'purged' after playback...

I'd at least like to option to be able to do that, even if the default is to keep tracks in the queue.
A more sensible option might be to transfer any tracks played from the queue into a dedicated playlist of 'played tracks' or something

Well, much as we might like them, user options are not going to happen in Sonos (apart from a few select settings), so you're going to have to deal with the current queue setup, with all its quirks.

Personally, I'd argue that the current approach (keeping the queue intact while it's alive) makes more sense, and caters for everyone. After all, there are visual cues about current queue position to tell you that you're advancing through a queue, and it means you can go back to repeat tracks. The queue is just the "current stuff playing", and while purging items makes sense in a pure "jukebox" context, for listening to albums, playlists, or just "constantly feeding the queue throughout the day", keeping the previous tracks around makes sense (and as a bonus, you can then dump them in a playlist).

Anyway, while fixing the current consistency issues with the "mostly ephemeral" queue design is probably never going to happen, we apparently got here with Sonos favouring "how Spotify and iTunes work" over "design for Sonos users", so maybe further queue changes are a possibility.