Question

Remote control setup available for Connect?

• 21 November 2016
  • 7 replies

Hi there

I have a smart TV connected to a set of Sonos Play1's & 3 via a Connect (and the sound experience is really great). But my experience could get another boost if it would be possible to use my TV remote control to control the volume settings instead of using the Sonos App. The same install settings as the Playbar... Is this possible or will this be made possible by Sonos? From my point of view this really would enhance the possible use cases of the Sonos products...

And no, a Playbar is not an option for me :)

Looking

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Sonos only supports IR control on the PLAYBAR itself, and that's unlikely to change. It's the only player designed for use with a TV.

I've no direct experience of them but you could investigate something like a Logitech Harmony remote which claims to be able to control Sonos via its hub.
Sonos only supports IR control on the PLAYBAR itself, and that's unlikely to change. It's the only player designed for use with a TV.

I've no direct experience of them but you could investigate something like a Logitech Harmony remote which claims to be able to control Sonos via its hub.

I think that's right re Logitech. Last time I looked, about a year ago, Logitech were talking about using their hub alongside a Harmony Touch remote. Ironically (for the OP), they now seem to emphasising using the hub alongside a smartphone. Possibly for similar end-user cost reasons as Sonos when it dropped its dedicated controllers in favour of smartphone apps a few years ago??
Post deleted. Misread the OP, I have nothing useful to add.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Harmony Ultimate and new Elite version (all that have hubs) will all control Sonos from play/pause and favorites to controlling volume on any Sonos unit (not just playbar). Harmony does it via wifi where standard remotes are IR and only the Playbar can see IR.
Hi, thank you all for the reply. The combination wifi and IR should do the trick I hope because there is a settopbox from my TV - internet provider in between that only functions via IR. But in the end it would be more convenient if SONOS would make it possible to connect a remote control to the Connect (what's in the name...)
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Current connect really not meant as tv viewing connection. Next version - that should be different story I would hope.
I am aware about the current 'functionality' of the connect and yes, hopefully the next version will have more 'use cases' available... Thanks!