Remote Access to Sonos System

• 17 June 2014
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 2
Guys,

Is there any way I can access my home Sonos network from a remote location?

If I want to control Sonos when I am not at home how can I do this?

Thanks

David

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

You'd need to use a VPN.

This question has been asked umpteen times before. Use the forum search facility for threads with "remote access" in the title, or "remote vpn" in posts.
Userlevel 2
You'd need to use a VPN.

This question has been asked umpteen times before. Use the forum search facility for threads with "remote access" in the title, or "remote vpn" in posts.

I want to control it from my Android phone. Also, posts that have been made two years ago might be out of date?
Can't be done from your Android phone. That device needs to be part of your WIFI network to control Sonos. You can use the Remote Desktop app to log into your home computer and use the Desktop Controller through that.

Can I ask why you would want to trigger music you can't listen to?
Userlevel 2
Can't be done from your Android phone. That device needs to be part of your WIFI network to control Sonos. You can use the Remote Desktop app to log into your home computer and use the Desktop Controller through that.

Can I ask why you would want to trigger music you can't listen to?

Because there are computer-phobes at home who want to listen to music while I am away. I can create a playlist for them and start it on the speaker. They can then stop and start it by pressing the button on top.

What is the Remote Desktop App?

Thanks
Userlevel 2
Solution to this is to download the Sonos windows controller to the computer. Download Teamviewer a free desktop sharing programme to the computer and register it. Download the Teamviewer app from the Play Store on your phone. Use your phone to access your computer desktop and access Sonos on there. Set your computer to never sleep or hibernate.
Vera Lite G home automation box runs about $160, needs to connect to your network.
It does many things however what you're interested in is Sonos Plugin for that is free, lets you manage the Sonos from the Vera. So Stop, Start, Group / Ungroup, Skip, Volume, Select Play List, Select Radio station. Also opens up Text to Speech over the Sonos.

Web Access to the Vera is free, there is a mobile friendly UX.

There is definetly an IOS app or two, sure there are Android apps.

So... remote control from your Android phone!

If you're really wanting to enable usage at home obviating all this, google "griffin powermate sonos" this message board.... a talking Sonos interface
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
If you have Lutron Caseta lights, you can start a scene from the Lutron app (they added Sonos support last month). Since you can control Lutron Caseta stuff from anywhere in the world (as long as you have an internet connection), this means you can control Sonos remotely.

When setting up a scene in the Lutron app, you choose what Sonos favorite play, which speakers play, and the volume level for each speaker. Also, don't forget to set up a scene that pauses all music so that you can turn Sonos off remotely too.