Release Notes for 11.2.13 ??

• 14 November 2021
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hi, just a quick Q regarding release notes. My S1 system is at 11.2.12 and says that an update is waiting. However, checking the sonos.com site for S1 release notes brings up just one page with details for Sonos releases that stop at 11.2.6.

Where can I find release notes for current software?

Thanks in advance, Steve

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7

If there are no notes listed for the release, it is usually just “bug fixes and performance improvements”.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Interesting.. & thanks for response.

Perhaps Sonos could return to their old ways of listing all information for each release? That way we can tease out details such as 24/48 playback for S1 ONLY being available for Local media/NAS libraries…..

I would be a huge fan of that, to be honest :)

OTOH, there are “updates” and “updates”. Sometimes, they’re just releasing an update to the firmware for a particular speaker type, some times a group of speaker types. And sometimes, that includes an update for the controller, sometimes not. I suspect it’s a complex grid of things to keep track of….although they tend not to tell us about firmware updates.

But, that’s all to point out that your pending “update” may or may not always include the firmware on the speakers themselves. I’ve got mine set up to automatically update at 4AM daily, so that part I don’t pay a lot of attention. But yea, I’d be absolutely for some better messaging around when a controller gets updated. Anything is better than the often case we get of ‘nothing’ on these forums, and a simple “bug fixes” in the “stores” where we update our software. 

It seems to be an endemic issue in tech across the board. Some companies, like Tesla, frequently don’t explain what is in a particular update, whereas companies like 1Password are scrupulous about giving as much information as possible when they update.

It is, I suspect, a side affect, at least sometimes, about not wishing to expose users to “hacking”. It’s great to give details about “we fixed this bug” but not everyone is going to update immediately, which then exposes them to hackers who attempt to exploit the bug that was “fixed” in the new release.

Speculation, I’ll give you, but seems logical. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

I accept that we will not always get a release note especially if it is of a very minor nature. But when the fact that an update exists suddenly restricts the functionality of the existing software without the user making any changes at their end then really we are in different territory.

Even if it it only says “bug fixes and improvements” a release note would at least acknowledge that Sonos have impacted the user. And if the issue is of a security nature stating that might encourage people to do the upgrade.

Also there will be some on S1 who will probably take the view that I am on a legacy solution which is working - why would I want to update it given that it might make something stop working unless there is a very good reason.

Hi @Lost.At.Sea it seems like you are looking for some particular features. I believe Sonos remains very discrete about those. You may sometimes find some explanation on the App Store when new versions are posted. My experience is that users are more reactive than pro-active, accept all updates (automatically) and discover then what’s new or changed on their system. 

The challenge will always be one of where does the restriction that you’re experiencing come from. Sonos is, for most practical purposes, essentially a TV set for the ears. They don’t have any ability to affect the programming on the channels that you listen to, or even if (as is currently the case with the BBC) when some content is allowed, and some content isn’t. All Sonos does is provide a conduit, but relies on the streaming company to provide the end-point. So Sonos can be clear about aspects of the software from their side, but not about a third party streaming company, the servers they provide, or the restrictions that streaming company places on the content. 

My experience of all S1 releases thus far is that they have not changed the functionality in any way. I don’t count numbers in my music streams, so I may have missed any change in that. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

My experience of all S1 releases thus far is that they have not changed the functionality in any way. I don’t count numbers in my music streams, so I may have missed any change in that. 

S1 isn’t going to get any new features, so I doubt we’ll ever see any Release Notes for it in the future.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

S1 isn’t going to get any new features, so I doubt we’ll ever see any Release Notes for it in the future.

This is so obvious that I had not considered it :-)