Question

Recommended router?

• 30 July 2020
  • 9 replies

does sonos recommend a router that works without any problems ?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Sonos usually refrains from recommending 3rd party products.  However, you can clear up 99% of the problems by reserving IP addresses for your Sonos products, and if using a mesh router, you should connect a Boost or Sonos device via Ethernet to the main hub.  

all four have their own address - what next?

many routers are incompatible - how do i chose one that works with sonos ?

The right router is going to depend on your WiFi coverage you want, the capabilities of your internet connection, and your budget.  I use Orbi without issue, but that wouldn’t be appropriate for everyone.  

all four have their own address - what next?

many routers are incompatible - how do i chose one that works with sonos ?

I don’t know where you got the idea that “many routers are incompatible”, because it is not true.  Sonos will work with the vast majority of consumer grade routers, with the caveats stated in my post above.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/41?language=en_US

doesn't work with spectrum router 5260

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

I couldn’t get Sonos to work with a DeWALT router.

@roggott

I think you'd have to be incredibly unlucky to find a router that Sonos doesn't work with.

Have you tried connecting just one of your speakers by ethernet to the router, which then creates a Sonos mesh that all the other Sonos speakers will automatically connect to? It's the simplest and most reliable solution to any WiFi problems. 

please fully explain this procedure 

thanks

I’d have thought the sentence from @Rhonny was pretty straight forward, but here might be some additional information to help you. 

standard and boost modes