Recently Added Music List

• 7 September 2012
  • 67 replies

Userlevel 2
I would like a method to keep track of recently added music. I used to do this with my CD's. Instead of immediately filing new CD's with my existing CD's, I would leave them in a pile next to the CD player for a few weeks. The new music would get heavier play than my older CD's. I used to leave them out until I had listened to them a number of times. It would be nice to create an electronic way to do the same thing.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

67 replies

Badge
Just use any music manager to make a playlist. All playlists, both iTunes and .M3U located in the share path are imported by Sonos. Use an .M3U playlist and you wont even have to reindex when you make changes.
might try that, thanks. i'm running everything off a nas separate from my regular itunes library, so it's not a perfect 1:1.
Badge
+1 ... me too. Would a list of recent library additions, as well as recently played list for streaming services,
+1 too ^_^ I rely a lot on Google Play Music, and having automatic playlists available on Sonos such as "Most Recently Added", "Most Recently Listened" and "Liked songs" would be excellent.
Bump. The feature I'd most like to see from Sonos, right here. Sonos, you listening?
STILL waiting for this feature. It's not Rocket Science. It won't increase manufacturing costs. Other platforms have had it for years. Why can't we have it for our Sonos systems?
I'd guess that there's two reasons, although I'm not sure about the first. It may be that the Sonos API doesn't support that. But more certainly, it would be up to the third party to implement in, if it does exist already in the Sonos API.
What does a third party have to do with it? Sonos has control over both the API and the primary desktop and mobile device clients/apps, so a third party shouldn't have to be involved at all to add the capability in that context.

If it's not already in there, the Sonos team can extend the API to support it. It seems very unlikely to be the sort of thing that causes backward-compatibility issues.
What does a third party have to do with it? Sonos has control over both the API and the primary desktop and mobile device clients/apps, so a third party shouldn't have to be involved at all to add the capability in that context.

If it's not already in there, the Sonos team can extend the API to support it. It seems very unlikely to be the sort of thing that causes backward-compatibility issues.

Coincidentally I changed to Bluesound yesterday. I was watching this topic for months now. I was a happy Sonos Connect user for over four years. But the lack of interface updates on the Sonos software made me decide to move to another platform.

I didn't expect this, but the change to Bluesound also improved the sound quality al lot. The DAC of the Node is so much better than the Connect one... Since I use the Connect/Node 80% of the time to feed my Rega Brio (analog) from a NAS with high-res files this seems the case...

So I can recommend switching to Bluesound! 🙂 For 'latest additions' and even more for the DAC quality.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
So you come here with your first post to promote a competitor. :8 Good for you!
So you come here with your first post to promote a competitor. :8 Good for you!
Sorry, just a lot of frustration 🙂
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Because of limited memory Sonos only stores the absolute basic meta info (eg. artist, album, track name and number), and other than artwork, no other tags are fetched on-the-fly. So any kind of smart "recently added" playlist is unlikely to happen (although Sonos could implement something to make a note of recent additions when it scans local library). The various workarounds hinted at in previous posts are probably your best bet.

Just for fun, I built a little script (Powershell) to scan my NAS music folder and create an imported playlist of tracks added to my library in the last 30 days. Putting something like that on a scheduled task is probably as good as you're going to get if you want your Sonos to show you recently added items.
It's great if an imported playlist of recent additions works for you, but it seems like an extremely poor substitute to me. Since the granularity of playlists is songs, if I've added a dozen albums in the last 30 days, browsing those albums with their songs all dumped into one playlist would get tedious very quickly.

I really hope the issue isn't limited memory. "Date Added" timestamps for a 30,000-song library would take only an extra 120K. If things are so tight (or poorly-designed) that an extra 120K of data is unworkable, that doesn't bode well for any new functionality going forward.
Given that we've already got Sonos in literally every room of our home, we're unlikely to be moving to another hardware platform any time soon, but it looks like switching software may be an option. The Roon software works with Sonos, and appears to support much richer metadata, including related functions like a "Recently Added" list.

Anyone try solving this issue by controlling your Sonos system via Roon?
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
It's great if an imported playlist of recent additions works for you, but it seems like an extremely poor substitute to me. Since the granularity of playlists is songs, if I've added a dozen albums in the last 30 days, browsing those albums with their songs all dumped into one playlist would get tedious very quickly.

I'm not saying it "works for me". It's a workaround. And unlike the iTunes "recently added" view, there's no album grouping. Although, if I'm essentially creating my own "smart playlist", I can get creative with the filter (eg. looking only for tracks starting "01" to reduce it down to albums). My use-case is getting a quick list of recent additions, and I can always use the info->album info browsing to get to the album and add it to the queue. Although after finding over 300 tracks added in the last 2 months, maybe I don't want to be reminded of all those "accidental" Bandcamp purchases...

I really hope the issue isn't limited memory. "Date Added" timestamps for a 30,000-song library would take only an extra 120K. If things are so tight (or poorly-designed) that an extra 120K of data is unworkable, that doesn't bode well for any new functionality going forward.

Well, it might just be Sonos trying for a clean, minimalist UI, but as Sonos software has to work with the original Sonos hardware from a time when memory cost more, then limited memory is certainly a plausible explanation for not holding all the track meta info.

I'm not trying to defend Sonos here, not having a "recently added" screen is a poor user experience, but I understand why that might be the case. And there are workarounds (use another app, write some code, etc).
Sonos is every room in the house, every TV with surround, outside too. Customer since 2011. When you add 5-20 CDs to a collection at a time, it is 100% natural to more heavily rotate the new stuff. A "Recently Added" tag is a natural software add. That said, I never seen the effort to solve issues for users with larger lossless collections. This is a case in point beyond the skips and drops that drive me crazy.
This feels like such a basic requirement, I can't really believe that it has yet to be implemented still.

'Hi, we do not comment on the future roadmap of Sonos but would be happy to forward your request to have the songs in a playlist placed in order of the most recent to our product development team to review and consider your request.'

That's the best you can do? From looking at the forums this was your response several years ago...

'We can pass along the request to our team in hopes to have the songs in a playlist placed in order of the most recent songs. We recommend commenting on the Sonos Community thread with your request for more visibility. We appreciate your patience.'

I can filter on newest first, on this page, but not in the sono app!?!

Come on Sonos… :face_palm_tone1:

Still hoping one day this gets added. Literally the one thing people have always wanted from the start.