Recently Added Music List

• 7 September 2012
  • 67 replies

Userlevel 2
I would like a method to keep track of recently added music. I used to do this with my CD's. Instead of immediately filing new CD's with my existing CD's, I would leave them in a pile next to the CD player for a few weeks. The new music would get heavier play than my older CD's. I used to leave them out until I had listened to them a number of times. It would be nice to create an electronic way to do the same thing.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

67 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +5
Hi, There are some workarounds for this functionality but it's a pain and would be much better as native functionality. Cheers Chris
Badge +18
Hi Robert, thanks for sharing the idea.
Userlevel 2
I too would like this feature. My newer music is always higher on my listening rotation. I know that itunes keeps track of music entered in the library with the "date added" column (I believe it is not a default column in the library view). Perhaps taking advantage of the daily library update feature Sonos can keep track of this as well with its own simple tracking method?
Yep. It is very furstrating no to have this. I have a workaround where I add new albums to a folder on my NAS called 000 - New Music and I browse to it. HOwever having the system do something similar for me would be great. It would also be nice to be able to use the Year field data to find albums.
I too would like this. This is a feature I used every day on my Logitech touch. It would show me the last 20-30 albums I had added to my library. It's a great way of listening to all your new music. Without it I forget which new albums I have
This is the number one feature I use on my Logitech devices, I would really love to see it on my new Sonos setup. It's hard to remember which music was recently added, and I definitely want to listen to it.
Recently moved to Sonos from Squeezebox and know I'm going to miss a recently added list.
Same for me here, it's really frustrating to not knowing which songs have just been added... If I have a lot of music, it's because I love hearing new things everyday, and I have to know easily what is new ^^ Either be able to sort albums by date added, or showing albums added in the last [parametrable] months would be good solutions, and easy to add (you already have lists and the date you add songs to the sonos library)
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Vote for smart playlists. They will provide: -Recently added (new songs) -Last 10, 25, 50, 100 played -All songs of a particular genre-All four or five star songs -Never played songs -Top 50 played songs -etc https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/smart_playlists_like_itunes
For me, just being able to select from my library having ordered albums by the date they were added (most recent first) would be a major step forward. I note that being able to get easy access to most recently added music is a request that first appeared quite a long time ago. May be an initial simpler solution such as this, rather than a full all singing all dancing one, might mean its more likely to actually be made available sooner.
I'm amazed that this very basic feature still hasn't been added. I purchased more Squeezebox booms, I am selling my Sonos gear and I couldn't be happier to be back with the Logitech Media Server. It offers way more flexibility with streaming bitrates, etc. It offers more features, more control, and the boom sounds better than the Play 5s in my opinion.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I want this so badly so that I can easily listen to today's podcasts, new music, etc. PLEASE Sonos!
plrase add this feature
I'm also a recent (potential) Squeezebox convert and use this feature regularly, so much so I just assumed Sonos would have something similar.
Userlevel 2
Grouping albums by age would be great so I can see albums added within last 7 days, last month, last three months, last six months... This is standard in a lot of media players and great for finding albums to play
Considering for how long Sonos users have been asking for a means to select recently added music and the fact that the option to list the music library by the date added (earliest first), or even the file date, seems so straightforward, it seems there can only be two possibilities for it not being implemented; 1) Sonos cares not for existing users, preferring to concentrate their development recourses elsewhere or 2) Their system design simply does not make it possible (such as the date added is not recorded - but then could they not simply use the file dates initially when the library is next indexed and record the date added after that?) and Sonos are unwilling to come clean to the Sonos community. I'd like to give Sonos the benefit of the doubt, so come on Sonos, engage with your users and at least tell us why this particular request constantly falls on deaf ears!
We should try and convince sonos to allow end users (customers!?) to help groom the backlog.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I see this thread is shown as under consideration.  The thread I responded to earlier today should probably be merged with this one.
Userlevel 2
A "recently added" playlist should be very easy to implement using the time stamp of the file or by writing the "add-date" to the database. I switched from Logitech to Sonos years ago because of the superior app. I am still missing the the SqueezeBox's recently added list every single day

Logitech's app became much better in the meantime. Maybe it is time to switch back.

It really sucks how Sonos ignores this request for many years now.
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Sort by date, last added. Hello,
the sonos hardware is great but the app is a pain. Why we are not able to sort music by year or by last added ? I own a synology NAS, it is much easier with DSmusic to play music. Please add those simple tag function to your app, i have found 2011 posts asking for that. It's shame, it's a good technology control with a minimalist app.
Regards
This is the number one killer feature I expect from a music streaming system.

Just bought a Sonos Connect and I am unpleasantly surprised to learn that Sonos does not support this. Without this the Sonos will move out of my living room again faster than light.

Based on the fact that people have been asking for this for ages now, chances appear to be slim that Sonos is going to fix this anytime soon.

This is a real shame for an otherwise solid system!
Vote for smart playlists. They will provide: -Recently added (new songs) -Last 10, 25, 50, 100 played -All songs of a particular genre-All four or five star songs -Never played songs -Top 50 played songs -etc https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/smart_playlists_like_itunes
Any progress on this?
I agree, surely this is a very simple thing to integrate as the data is already there.

This is the only thing that drives me nuts about the Sonos, every other part is nailed on but this really grates with me.

I have 4 hours or so on a Sunday in which to listen to new music, but I end up listening to it at my desk as I have no way of knowing what is new once I'm downstairs.

Please sort it!
Hi Robert, thanks for sharing the idea.
2 years ago! Seriously, have you not got any further with this?
Userlevel 2
Badge +5
I agree, surely this is a very simple thing to integrate as the data is already there.

This is the only thing that drives me nuts about the Sonos, every other part is nailed on but this really grates with me.

I have 4 hours or so on a Sunday in which to listen to new music, but I end up listening to it at my desk as I have no way of knowing what is new once I'm downstairs.

Please sort it!

Hi Mark, I've had Sonos for probably for about 8 years now, I've given up on this one.