Question

re-install previous version of controller

Userlevel 3
Badge +8
I HATE the new iPad and iPhone controllers, and I am mad as hell that you would force this piece of crap on a long-time and frequent user like myself. Is there any way to revert to the previous controller version? Where is the Queue on the iPhone version??? I use the queue all the time.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

33 replies

The new software stops me using my Ipad 1 to control my Sonos system.

By all means upgrade the software but please can someone tell me where I can get the old version from so I can continue using my Ipad to operate my Sonos?

Better still, why not put older version on your website to download, Sonos? I can't see what harm it would do. Perhaps you can tell me.
Userlevel 1
Well, I appreciate the quick reply.  My biggest issue is with the source selection area on iPads.  I rarely need to use those buttons, but they're taking up over half the screen (in landscape orientation) and that white background is "screaming" at me...  I'll just leave it in the mode where it displays the album art, but it would be nice to see a little more "balance."   I get the uniformity thing among devices, but just filling up the extra space on iPads with those big buttons isn't cutting it. 

Have a swell day!

Agree completely, what a mess the Ipad interface. Was good and handy now trash.
Would be good tohave it skinable or just let me install the previous version. I will take the risk that some new stuff or boxes will not work.
Good thing is that since I started with Sonos there now is enough competition to go to 🙂
Userlevel 1
Yes agree!

By all means upgrade the software but please can someone tell me where I can get the old version from so I can continue using my Ipad to operate my Sonos?

Better still, why not put older version on your website to download, Sonos? I can't see what harm it would do. Perhaps you can tell me.

I have discovered I have got a copy of Sonos version 4.1 on  a Time Machine copy of my Mac on a hard drive, which would allow me to continue using my Ipad1 to control my Sonos system.

Does anyone know how I might install it on my Mac? When I tried to do so before, I simply asked me to download a new version from the Sonos website. 

Perhaps I need isntallation software? Does anyone have it for Sonos 4.1?
Userlevel 3

Hi Roger, I can't help with restore I'm afraid, but it also depends on which software version you've already got. If it's 5.1 on the speakers then I don't believe any controller version pre 5.x will work. If you have 5.0, then 4.x (certainly 4.3) of the controller will work. There is no way to downgrade 5.x speaker software to prior versions. For your iPad1 have a look for the independent app Sonopad. http://sonopad.com/ Graham
What happened to various controls: room settings for EQ, bass, treble, balance? for Naming rooms? Managing music library/forcing a re-index? etc etc
Many of my better audio components were purchased in the mid to late 70's and the remotes on all of them still work just fine. I think your view on the appropriate lifecycle for audio components may not be aligned to the expectations of your customer base... especially those who have a large investment in multi-room audio infrastructure and related control hardware.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
What happened to various controls: room settings for EQ, bass, treble, balance? for Naming rooms? Managing music library/forcing a re-index? etc etc
No doubt.
why would Sonos not check the operating system on the computer before installing an update that could not run on that operating system - then tell me I need to upgrade the operating system ..... pathetic !