Question

re-install previous version of controller

Userlevel 3
Badge +8
I HATE the new iPad and iPhone controllers, and I am mad as hell that you would force this piece of crap on a long-time and frequent user like myself. Is there any way to revert to the previous controller version? Where is the Queue on the iPhone version??? I use the queue all the time.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

33 replies

Userlevel 5
AMEN! Looks like somebody's first UI. Way too big, way too bright, glaring mess on the left HAS TO GO! I tend(ed) to leave the Sonos app running on iPads around the house because it was useful and looked great. Oh well.. Thankfully the PC interface still looks nice.
Userlevel 2
Hi guys, There is no way to revert the Sonos units to a different firmware. If you have backups of the apps for your portable devices you could try that. Updates are released at least every six months so I am sure some of the issues with the new controllers will be addressed soon.
Userlevel 5
Well, I appreciate the quick reply.  My biggest issue is with the source selection area on iPads.  I rarely need to use those buttons, but they're taking up over half the screen (in landscape orientation) and that white background is "screaming" at me...  I'll just leave it in the mode where it displays the album art, but it would be nice to see a little more "balance."   I get the uniformity thing among devices, but just filling up the extra space on iPads with those big buttons isn't cutting it. 

Have a swell day!
I have just updated my ipad to the new controller and also really dislike it. The original was so intuitive user friendly, the latest is ugly, confusing and most of the screen is a waste of time. What advantages does the new controller have over the old one?
Userlevel 5
Plain, flat, unoriginal, and boring is "WAY KEWL" at the moment.  Get with it!  What are you like "alot" over 12 or something? Geez...  <g> 
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
The new app is complete CRAP. Change it back the way it was, this is NOT what I paid for. You have ripped me off..
Ever since I upgraded (more like a downgrade) my system takes for ever to recognize the bridge sitting 3 feet away. Then it drops songs mid-way through. I have: 1. rebooted my router 2. re-booted the bridge 3. deleted and re-downloaded the new app 4. removed my music library and reinstalled it 5. wept in abject frustration I now have five completely worthless Sonos components.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Ever since I upgraded (more like a downgrade) my system takes for ever to recognize the bridge sitting 3 feet away. Then it drops songs mid-way through. I have: 1. rebooted my router 2. re-booted the bridge 3. deleted and re-downloaded the new app 4. removed my music library and reinstalled it 5. wept in abject frustration I now have five completely worthless Sonos components.
Hi philliephanatic, before reaching step 5, we recommend giving us a call. If you've already rebooted the network and the other steps suggested in other threads your following, it'd be best to work with a technician live. We'll help you get everything sorted out.
Am I being stupid or can you no longer make a sonos playlist, not very tech savvy so maybe sounds rubbish but the last app was ace and helped me do it, this one I can't work it out.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Am I being stupid or can you no longer make a sonos playlist, not very tech savvy so maybe sounds rubbish but the last app was ace and helped me do it, this one I can't work it out.
You can still make Sonos Playlists by saving an existing queue. On mobile controllers, from the Queue screen there's a button on the bottom right which says Save.
Ok. So I make the playlist and then save as a playlist ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Sonos playlists are saved Sonos Queues. You can add tracks, albums, existing playlists to your Queue, and then save it as a Sonos Playlist to be used again. These saved playlists are stored on your players and can be accessed under the header Sonos Playlists.
Thanks. Is there any way ican reinstall the old ipad app? I have it saved on my computer and tried synching the ipad to it, during which I uninstalled the new one and reinstalled the old one but then when I came to setting it up, the old app would not perform the set up procedure in recognising the sonos components and prompted me back to the newer version.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
From what I have read elsewhere, if you don't delete the old ipad app it will continue to work ok. However if you delete then re-install the app again and try to connect it to components that are already updated to 5.0 then it will no longer connect. In other words I think it's too late for you - sorry
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
They need to figure out how I can connect with the he old app because the new one is CRAP.
Userlevel 2
My wife and I updated to the latest software on our iPhone 4's, and we hate the new interface. Also connecting to the system is slower. We Love our Sonos, but this software update is a disappointment. We are not going to update the iPad Sonos.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Ugly, ugly, ugly
For ipad users, look at sonopad, really nice design
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Please 'me too' this link and we can just hope sonos come to their senses soon https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/give_us_the_old_app_back_please
Userlevel 2
Badge
This update broke my home automation system!  I play Sonos through an integrated HA system, and Sonos have just yanked the Group Coordinator stuff!  So I too want to go back to the previous version, but of course, as is the fashion these days, you are just pushed unwillingly along, no matter how much money you have spent setting this system up.  I am NOT a happy customer.  I had another 2 rooms to kit out with Play 3's, but that won't be happening now that I can no longer integrate with my HA system. See http://forums.sonos.com/showthread.php?t=40054
What happened to various controls: room settings for EQ, bass, treble, balance? for Naming rooms? Managing music library/forcing a re-index? etc etc
What happened to various controls: room settings for EQ, bass, treble, balance? for Naming rooms? Managing music library/forcing a re-index? etc etc
SONOS giveth, SONOS taketh away!
You have a problem with that ?

See thread:  https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/cr_100_lost_menu_items_with_update

Looks like SONOS decided to remove considerable functionality from CR 100 controllers for no apparent reason, or explanation.  We should protest and demand the functionality we paid for.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi John,

If your controller software is running a different version from the rest of your system you won't be able to adjust settings. So please check under Settings > About my Sonos System to make sure everything is on 5.0. 

@Mehmet, as new features are added to the system and protocols are changed, the CR100 unfortunately simply can't keep up. We're trying to keep it around as long as we can though. You'll notice the CR100 can't updated past 4.3.
Ok my players and amps are still on 4.2...I removed the 5.0 controller from my ipad but when I try the old version...still installed...I am asked to upgrade. I am going to try to restore from a backup and see if that helps. Fortunately we didn't upgrade the second ipad here.

So forgetting about the controller app for a sec, what does the 5.0 release for the components do? what improved? If it was only to be compatible with the controller... well I can live without it. While I have done the component upgrades over time, I frankly never noticed a difference.
Ryan, the same controller if not updated to 4.3 does keep up so far.  So it is not really convincing to say that.  In other words SONOS appears to be breaking functionality intentionally.  I can see that, I cannot see why.
The CR 100 has some software that speaks to the players to tell them what to do.  I can not see how players can be developed (also by SONOS) so that they are unable to respond when a CR100 tells them to increase treble (as one of many possible examples).  This simply does not make sense to me at this time.  The fact that SONOS is crippling that software makes more sense to me, coupled with lack of effort on SONOS's part to explain.
There are many people asking what is the customer benefit that should make this sacrifice worthwhile.  What is in it for me? Also why can I not use the CR 100 to its fullest when I kow as yet it is possible, why break it now? How does SONOS respond to these 3 questions?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
The CR100 first came out in 2004 and we've been keeping them part of the Sonos system ever since, including adding many new features and functions through software updates.

It is our goal to keep the CR100 able to control your system as long as possible. Ultimately though, the CR100 as a product is over 10 years old and we've had to make some tough decisions about how long we can keep them functional. The software on the players has continued to evolve well past what we envisioned when the CR100 was first designed and in this case, ensuring you could continue to control systems with the CR100 required sacrificing additional functionality. 

These additional functions are available on all of our other software controllers, free for iOS, Android, Windows PC, and Mac.