Question

Question for S2 users, are track times (elapsed/total) displaying for WAV files?

• 10 July 2020
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

As per title. Am invested in Sonos and considering upgrade to S2 and purchase of new kit.

S1 & its predecessors have gradually phased out support for track times and track position when playing a WAV file (it’s there for FLAC and MP3) so if S2 fixes this then I’m In.

If you are using a local library of WAV files, and S2, then I’m interested in your experiences.

Note to those who may wish to ‘correct’ my assertion above. Please understand that the WAV Metadata/tagging issues are NOT to blame here, and that this is a file/track position issue (in other words ID3 tags have nothing to do with which part of the file is being read)

Thanks in advance!!!

[edit: should have added that this would be for desktop controller app as well as any mobile app!]

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Wouldn’t it just be easier to join the 21st century and turn all your WAVs into FLACs?

Metadata or no, I’m not sure I understand the issue. I have a few test WAV files. They show track times, and support scrubbing (manually changing the track position), just like any other file format. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Metadata or no, I’m not sure I understand the issue. I have a few test WAV files. They show track times, and support scrubbing (manually changing the track position), just like any other file format. 

Thanks ratty; if you are on S2 and can see this information for WAV files (even if you have to tap somewhere...) then that’s an improvement on S1. Imagine, if you can, that you play a track and there is no elapsed time, no track progress bar, no total track time, and no scrubbing to any position in the track. That’s what I’m seeing and what caused me to post (again) here. Sonos advertise WAV capability and it sounds like they have fixed my issue with S2. I can now go on to purchase a replacement for my G1 Connect.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Wouldn’t it just be easier to join the 21st century and turn all your WAVs into FLACs?

Wouldn’t if have been easier to not bother threadcrapping?

Wouldn’t if have been easier to not bother threadcrapping?

controlav is actually spot on. There’s no reason whatsoever to use WAV, and plenty of reasons not to, e.g. space, network bandwidth, metadata support.