Answered

Quarantine house party

Hi,

My friend & I both have a Sonos speaker.  We want to listen to the same Spotify playlist (which we both have access to) at the same time, in different households out of our individual Sonos speakers.  Is this possible?

icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 27 March 2020, 18:35

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Not sure if you’re asking if two households can play the same playlist at the same time, or if you have two speakers in the same location, but different ‘households’, can they play in sync.

The first probably has more to do with the streamer, i.e. do they allow different members to access the same playlist at the same time. I’d imagine that they do, but you could easily test this already.

For the second, no, the speakers won’t be in sync, without one of you connecting their speaker to the other’s Sonos account, and losing all your settings. I suppose it could be possible to be closely in sync, tpbut there’s no guaranty that it would be the same as grouping rooms in the Sonos software. 

Userlevel 7

Hi @HellsM 

If the Wi-Fi (or SonosNet) signal is strong enough to reach between both your homes do this:

1. If you have more than one Sonos speaker in either household you can Factory Reset (FR) one without destroying stored Playlists for all.
  2. Setup the FR speaker on the network you chose via Wi-Fi or SonosNet. 
  3. On the controller that is not part of the household to which the FR speaker was added open Settings and change the Wi-Fi SSID and PassPhrase to that of the alternate network
  4. Open Sonos it will ask to connect to an existing setup which is the lone speaker that was FR. Select it.
  5. The Spotify account being used will have to allow multiple users.
  6. Sign out of Spotify and sign in using the credentials of the chosen account
  7. Add Spotify to the newly setup Sonos app

The simpler option is:

1. Step 1 above
  2. Let one person operate Spotify for both locations

Thanks for your reply Bruce!

I was thinking about 2 speakers one in Brighton and the other 100 miles away, playing the same music at the same time.

I have minimal settings on my speaker so not worried about losing them.  Based on your reply, if I connect my speaker to the other’s Sonos account - could it work?  Do you happen to know how to do that please?

Thanks!

Ah, completely different than I was imagining...so my first answer applies much more, in fact, ignore the second one. 

If you both have access to the playlist, unless there’s a restriction by the streaming company, there shouldn’t be a reason why you can’t both play it at the same time. If you’re video conferencing or phoning each other, there would be a sync issue, but I’d expect that from anything. 

If you both don’t have access to the account streaming the music, then AjTrek1’s response would get you going.

But if the playlist is accessible by both parties, unless there is some restriction by the streamer, it should play in both locations, just not in sync. And we don’t know where this playlist is, which complicates our ability to analyze, too. There’s no reason for the OP and their friend not to just try, with the knowledge that if it does work, it won’t be 100% in sync.

Goober!:)

Userlevel 7

But if the playlist is accessible by both parties, unless there is some restriction by the streamer, it should play in both locations, just not in sync. And we don’t know where this playlist is, which complicates our ability to analyze, too. There’s no reason for the OP and their friend not to just try, with the knowledge that if it does work, it won’t be 100% in sync.

@Airgetlam 

I decided to delete my last response. It wasn't worth the effort :neutral_face:

Lol. I do understand. :)

Sorry, somehow I’ve made this complicated (or I don’t understand your replies)! 

We have a shared Spotify playlist so know we can both listen to this at the same time across most devices. 

We live in completely different locations, but both have a Sonos speaker. 

Rather than do a video conference & play that shared playlist (with an inevitable delay), I wondered if we could somehow play the shared playlist out of both Sonos speakers at the same time.  So one person controls Spotify in both locations.

Hope that makes sense & apologies if you’ve already given me the reply that would work.  If that’s the case, can you help this idiot out & point me at the right one!

Thanks both!

No, that’s not possible. Each ‘household’, or Sonos account would need to be controlled separately. 

Got it.  Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

The hamster in my brain is running a million miles a minute trying to come up with all sorts of crazy things that could be hacked together to make it possible to have one device controlling both Sonos systems.

Right now, the best might just be the easiest one… Load up the playlists in your queue, pick up the phone and call the other house, have someone count off and then have both people start the party by hitting play at the same time.

An alternative, pick a specific time, 5:00 PM, and each set a Sonos alarm on your system using that playlist. The music will start at the same time in both homes, and you’ll know the party has started!