Product request: Airplay 2 controller

• 12 July 2018
  • 7 replies

Like a number of others, I have a 5.1 setup with a PlayBar and two Sonos ONEs and was hoping I could use the ONEs to make the surround setup an Airplay 2 target. I understand that there is (probably) a technical limitation preventing that and that the workaround is to group another speaker that is Airplay 2 compatible with the surround setup.

I’m wondering if Sonos would consider an alternative: it’s honestly not that expensive to buy one more ONE given the cost of the entire system, but it just doesn’t make sense: I don’t have somewhere to put another speaker where it wouldn’t mix oddly with the surround sound audio or be in a room where I don’t need something playing. It would be great if Sonos sold the guts of a ONE but without the speaker part so that I could buy one for every group of speakers where I want Airplay 2 but adding another actual speaker isn’t practical.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Just mute it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I get that, but the reality is that such a device probably wouldn't sell that well, and probably end up costing around the same as the Sonos One. If I could add a slight modification to your idea, if we had an upgraded version of the CONNECT with enough horsepower for airplay 2, maybe add voice control, and retain all the CONNECTs existing functions, it would resolves quite a few issues for users.

Until then, you might want to consider getting a Sonos One, with the volume turned down, mic off, consistently grouped with your playbar.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I have the same, allready switched my 2x 1 with 2x one so got it working, but where to put the damm speaker?
An option is to just group it and mute it as stated above ;)
It does the trick but it’s plain stupid we need to do so.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
If the Sonos products were all recreated from scratch today, no one in their right mind would design it to work this way. Of course, the Sonos products were designed, what....7 years ago now?
I get that, but the reality is that such a device probably wouldn't sell that well, and probably end up costing around the same as the Sonos One. If I could add a slight modification to your idea, if we had an upgraded version of the CONNECT with enough horsepower for airplay 2, maybe add voice control, and retain all the CONNECTs existing functions, it would resolves quite a few issues for users.

Until then, you might want to consider getting a Sonos One, with the volume turned down, mic off, consistently grouped with your playbar.

Or something like the Boost, which is considerably cheaper that the connect. That can act as a bridge to at least one group, though it would be better if the multiple virtual groups could be created on it allowing for them to be picked up as seperate rooms using Airplay 2 (I have no idea if this is possible).
This would allow those without newer speakers to get Airplay 2 functionality, without a need for additional speakers, or those with a mix of new and old speakers to avoid the grouping and muting that has been mentioned, giving more flexibility to their setup.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Or something like the Boost, which is considerably cheaper that the connect. That can act as a bridge to at least one group, though it would be better if the multiple virtual groups could be created on it allowing for them to be picked up as seperate rooms using Airplay 2 (I have no idea if this is possible).
This would allow those without newer speakers to get Airplay 2 functionality, without a need for additional speakers, or those with a mix of new and old speakers to avoid the grouping and muting that has been mentioned, giving more flexibility to their setup.

The price of the Boost is based on the hardware and it's functionality. Change the hardware and the functionality and that price is going to change. Since this device does more than the Boost, is not hard to guess that it will also cost more.

The price of the Boost is based on the hardware and it's functionality. Change the hardware and the functionality and that price is going to change. Since this device does more than the Boost, is not hard to guess that it will also cost more.

Theoretically, it would need to decode and send 31 streams of Airplay 2 to 31 different devices at the same time (32 device limit, including the "Super Boost"). That would be 31 times the processing power of the new One/Beam/Playbase. Now I'm sure the current processor is not taxed to the fullest, but you don't need a PhD in Electrical Engineering to know that much of an increase in processing power is going to price the "Super Boost" out of most people's budget.