Answered

Problem - stuck in an infinite update loop

• 19 October 2017
  • 12 replies

I went to use the Sonos app this evening and was prompted to check for updates. I was directed to the app store which didn't identify that I wasn't using the latest version, so my only option was to 'Open' rather than 'Get' the latest version. This sent me back to the update screen which has left me in an infinite loop of checking for updates only for no update to be found. Any suggestions?
Currently running the new (and awful) 8.0 on an iphone 5s running ios 10.3.3.
Trying to connect to a Sonos Play 1.
Thanks
icon

Best answer by Asal beag dubh 24 October 2017, 12:22

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

I have the exactly same problem trying to use the Sonos controller on my Amazon Fire tablet (uses Android I think) however update worked on Apple Ipad
The issue resolved itself finally on Sunday. The Appstore recognised that the version on my phone was out of date and finally updated. Thanks for the reply. I hope you have the same luck.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I experienced this too. Drove me crazy. For me, it turned out I had my font too big on my phone (because my vision is not great). When I scaled the font down smaller I could see a "submit" or "accept" button (or some such) which was "out of frame"* when the font was big. I changed the font and it worked perfectly. There was a way out of the loop and I just couldn't see it.

Could that be the issue you are experiencing?

*I'm not a tech guy... this seems like a not too unusual thing. Is there a phrase you tech people use to describe this? Out of frame?
Badge
I have this issue on two older Kindle Fire units. So far, no solution. Apple app works fine, but the Android is stuck in an endless loop of trying to update (no update option when I get to the Amazon page). I uninstalled, and re-installed to no effect.
Still not working for me
IPhone 8
Userlevel 2
Badge
It is not fixed. I do not want to update my Sonos system nor do I wish to register with Sonos. The system works with the Android app but has an infinite update loop on the iPhone app and so my daughter is locked out of my Sonos system because she has an Apple. This drives me hopping mad - I have spent serious amounts of money on these speakers and my Connect and they have crippled my system with their update.
Try uninstalling the app and reinstall it. Choose to connect to existing system, not set up a new system.
Userlevel 5
Badge +8
When I had this it was when I was part of the Beta program and nothing I did would clear the problem. I ended up leaving the Beta program and that fixed this problem for me.
Userlevel 2
Badge
We've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app twice. It seems impossible to progress without registering with Sonos and/or upgrading the software in the speakers, neither of which I'm prepared to do. While it goes on working with Android, I shall keep my Sonos equipment until Sonos cripple that too. Then I shall sell it on eBay and buy Bose. I bought this very expensive equipment in good faith expecting Sonos to facilitate me to go on using it under the same conditions for ever.
We've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app twice. It seems impossible to progress without registering with Sonos and/or upgrading the software in the speakers, neither of which I'm prepared to do. While it goes on working with Android, I shall keep my Sonos equipment until Sonos cripple that too. Then I shall sell it on eBay and buy Bose. I bought this very expensive equipment in good faith expecting Sonos to facilitate me to go on using it under the same conditions for ever.Ah, sorry, I didn't realise you were deliberately sabotaging your own system. Controllers and speakers have to be on compatible versions. Good luck with Bose.

Re the Beta point from John G - Apple don't allow alternative beta versions of apps on their store, so that is a particular case of unmatched versions. This is well publicized on the Beta.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I am not sabotaging my own system, John B. I simply don't want to register my product with the manufacturer. Why do they need to know my email? Why do they need to know my musical choices? Why do they need to know my location? It's so they can upsell more kit to me, sell my details on to somebody else or some other creepy reason I hadn't thought of. It is rude of you, John B, to suggest such! But you are right about Bose - they need registration as well. I will find another product and perhaps you will find some manners.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I am not sabotaging my own system, John B. I simply don't want to register my product with the manufacturer. Why do they need to know my email? Why do they need to know my musical choices? Why do they need to know my location? It's so they can upsell more kit to me, sell my details on to somebody else or some other creepy reason I hadn't thought of. It is rude of you, John B, to suggest such! But you are right about Bose - they need registration as well. I will find another product and perhaps you will find some manners.

Registration WAS required when you initially set-up the system. What has changed recently is addition of new speakers requires confirmation of account and password (the one you ALREADY registered at the beginning).

Sonos needs to know your country in order to ensure that they deliver the services available in your country. If you don't use those services then tell Sonos you are in Rwanda.

Sonos have explicitly stated they will NOT sell or give any data to other parties. If you don't trust them and aren't prepared to register with a "Sonos only give them the details of my cats with my school bullies name" e-mail then selling your kit is probably the way to go for you