Question

Prevent guest users from accessing all Sonos rooms

• 15 June 2017
  • 6 replies

I see from reading through this forum a number of users want to prevent guests from using their Sonos system edpecially during gatherings. The issue I have is slightly different in that I don't wish to restrict guests to the Sonos system but restrict access to a particular room on the sysyem. In our case we have twin infants that we have Sonos in their room. On more than one occaision a guest will unintentionally blast music into their room waking them up. Upsetting not only the twins but us as well as we now have to deal with the babies and our guest. The ability to look a guest from accessing a particular room eould be of great benefit. Can this be done?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Just don't give anyone your wifi password. Most routers have a "guest" network that would allow guests to connect to the internet, but no more (e.g. play music on Sonos, access your private documents)
I do not mind if a guest has access to my network or the Sonos system in general. I do mind if babies are inadvertently startled awake by someone who may not know how to use the system. Restricting access to part of the Sonos system would solve the problem.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
It's a fair point. That said, without being too pessimistic, I doubt there's many people out there with this particular concern, and so the chances of it receiving development time less likely.
Mikey7312,

My suggestion is to plug the speakers in the kids bedroom into a timer plug... set the plug to automatically switch off the speakers during the hours the kids are in bed... problem solved.

Some timer plugs will allow that to happen on certain days of the week, so if guests tend to visit say on Saturdays, just set it to switch off on that particular day.

I would have thought the music would have kept the kids awake though anyway?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You may consider setting up the speakers in the twins' room as a separate system but otherwise change the name of the room where the twins are to "Twins Room" - Any guests who mess with hat should have their system access revoked.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I have a similar post about locking volume, please reply to that and see if we can get something implemented. https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/room-speaker-volume-control-lock-6812020

Alternatively you can set up the twins rooms as a separate Sonos system (this might have to be on a different SSID, not sure) but you’d have to switch networks/system to be able to control the music.