Pre-announcement of 5.4

http://blog.sonos.com/news/announcing-sonos-5-4/

147 replies

Badge +1
Is it possible to use 5.4 with ios devices on 5.3?
Userlevel 1
Badge
The beta is out since almost a week now...
Sounds cool - particularly that it improves the already excellent sound quality from the play 1 alone and also when paired with the Sub.

How many competitors have such a program that allows existing audio hardware to perform better?

Hopefully the beta will have someone posting a review on how much better the play 1 now sounds.
Userlevel 4
Badge +8
v5.3.2 for iOS app released to fix battery issue with iPhone and iPad.
And really hoping that 5.4 has a Widget for iOS.
Userlevel 1
Badge
And really hoping that 5.4 has a Widget for iOS.

It does not.
Userlevel 4
Badge +8
Seriously! Big mistake. And I suppose support for the Apple Watch is out of the question too.

When was it released? I'm not seeing it yet...
Userlevel 4
Badge +8
This afternoon UK time. I've downloaded on both iPhone and iPad. Updated the app first then opened the controller and was offered an update.
Thanks. Just came in on both.
Userlevel 6
Badge +13
No mention of being able to tell which album a track is from on the queue on tablets? Is it in there or are we still expected to be psychic? Fatiguing to the eye lol.

Hopefully there is some actual substance to the mention of the "updated set of tools to help our partners easily bring new features to the Sonos app".
And hopefully the mention of "a mix of other features and fixes" acknowledges issues brought about in recent versions.

The shuffle change is excellent. 🙂
Userlevel 1
What shuffle change would that be?
Badge +8
Actually numerous audio companies that have software driven products! Here's three.. Devialet, Auralic, PS Audio..

How many competitors have such a program that allows existing audio hardware to perform better?
I've turned on the Beta Program option but it still says 'no updates available' as I'm on version 5.3
Does it take time for the Beta updates notifications?
I think it takes some time.

I was able to update via the Mac controller after a couple of hours, the Android controller still cannot, it refers to an email I ought to be getting from Sonos.

The Play 1 pair + Sub sounds great - but that is how things were before as well and lacking a way to do a AB comparison, I am unable to see the effect of what probably are subtle improvements. I suspect that it now goes louder at the same volume setting on the controller without any loss of SQ.

The shuffle change is in two parts. Hit shuffle and the rearranged and shuffled play list can be seen in shuffled order in the queue. Hit shuffle again, it goes back to unshuffled, and hitting again results in a reshuffle. Something that can be done if the first shuffle isn't to your liking for some reason.

PS: As of now my Android version is 5.3.1, while all units are on 5.4 Beta. The new functionality is useable and fully available on it as well though.
lacking a way to do a AB comparison, I am unable to see the effect of what probably are subtle improvements
I have a another play 1 pair that I left out of the beta upgrade, but since it can't be used at the same time as the 5.4 units by me, I still can't do an AB test at home.
If someone gets around to doing this at some time, it will be interesting. Equally interesting would be an updated measurement graph to compare against the ones that exist.
Assuming that there is a difference, however subtle, the gap to the 3 and even the 5 has been reduced by this update, making the play 1 an even better choice for music play than what it was till now.
Userlevel 6
Badge +13
Yes, the shuffle now lets you see the actual order the shuffled tracks are going to be played in - instead of just the next track. I don;t think the actual algorithm of shuffling has changed but don't know. If you switch it off it goes back to the original order.
Unbelievably though, unless I just did this wrong, the shuffled queue is 'static' - you can't edit its order. I just shuffled and liked the results - except the next track. I tried dragging it down in the order but it moved back. From a PC controller.
If you switch it off it goes back to the original order.
Unbelievably though, unless I just did this wrong, the shuffled queue is 'static' - you can't edit its order. I just shuffled and liked the results - except the next track. I tried dragging it down in the order but it moved back. From a PC controller.

Hit shuffle again after it goes back to unshuffled and you get a new shuffled result.
I am able to move tracks around the shuffled queue using the Mac and the Android controllers.
Userlevel 6
Badge +13
Yes, I could unshuffle and then shuffle again - but from a pc I was unable to drag tracks around the shuffled queue. Didn't try it from android though. How did you drag them on android?
After touching Edit in the Queue.
Userlevel 6
Badge +13
Cheers. I THINK that only clear and save were available from the PC controller. I'm not at home to try now though. Hopefully I just missed it (do you have a pc?) - but differences such as these across different Sonos controllers are nothing new of late. 😞
I don't have a PC. The Mac controller has only clear and save, but on it the tracks can be moved around inside the queue without requiring any preceding action.
Userlevel 6
Badge +13
Thanks. On the PC in the shuffled queue, 'dragged' tracks 'bounced' back to their shuffled queue position and you had to accept the precise, suggested queue.
Using it for some time now, and the shuffle functionality seems vastly improved on the Mac and Android handheld controllers. The entire shuffled playlist is visible in the queue and changes shape to sequential and back to a reshuffled list each time the shuffle button is hit. Neat.
Userlevel 6
Badge +13
Apologies, as I said I may had done it wrong. Not sure what I did but just to confirm you can indeed drag songs around in the shuffled queue from a PC controller. :)
It's a nice improvement seeing 'the future' instead of just the next track.
Badge +1
Arne you allowed to talk about the beta?
Or have I missed something?

Kind regards
agron