Question

Port Forwarding: Controlling Sonos Through a Firewall

I have three Play:5 speakers and two Connect units hooked up throughout my house.  I have two wifi routers.  I have my first wifi router, R1 connected straight to the internet (it's the router that comes with FiOS) and it has a wifi network in the 192.168.x.x range.  Then behind that, I have a small system that's a dedicated system and on the other side of that, I have a LAN that uses the 172.16.x.x address range.  There is a wifi router, R2 for convenience, on the 172.16.x.x range.

I often use my iPhone or my Android tablet to control my FiOS DVR, which is on the 192.168.x.x network, controlled by R1.  If I want to control Sonos from my tablet or iPhone, I have to go to Settings and change to my main LAN, in the 172.16.x.x range, then do what I want on Sonos.

I'd like to be able to control my Sonos system through my firewall, in other words, when my Android tablet or iPhone is on the outside of my firewall.

I have used this page (https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/692#ports) as a reference and tried forwarding ports 3500, 3401, using TCP, through the firewall to the inner LAN that my Sonos system is on.  I had no success and added ports 6969, 1900, and 1901 for UDP.  Still no luck.  I called Sonos and was told to forward port 1400, both TCP and UDP as well.  Still no luck.

So if I want my controller to speak to my Sonos system through a firewall, with the Sonos components on the inside LAN and my cell phone on the outside of the firewall, what ports do I need to forward through the firewall?

And, to go with that, what do I forward those ports to?  Do I forward them to my Sonos Bridge (as I do now), or to one of the other components?

3 replies

Seems like it would be easier to set up a VPN if your routers support it. This way you could be anywhere in the world and control your system as though you were on your local network.
Setting a few ports up for forwarding is easier than setting up a VPN and it means I don't have to deal with what the outside router, which is part of the FiOS system will or won't support.
Only if the applications support that. I don't know the SONOS app to support a static ip let alone port info or a web service. VPN is not difficult to do and streamlines your connection to other inside services as well.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings