Question

Podcast android

Sonos app does not recognise podcasts downloaded on my android phone (kitkat), I've tried downloading both recommended apps Beyondpod and Pocketcasts neither work! I've also tried moving files to podcasts folder in the root . What happening sonos? This worked perfectly on my previous iphone

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

19 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi User956665,

Are you still having trouble with your podcasts? Make sure that the tracks are inside the Podcasts folder on your Android controller. If they are there, under "This Mobile Device" you should see a Podcasts folder. You can also have the podcasts inside your Music folder, and then check under Music by name. 

Is your Podcast folder blank, or not there? Do you have any music listed under "This Mobile Device?"

Thanks
I'm having some trouble, but things are looking better.  I was able to download and configure Pocket Casts so that it resides in the Podcasts folder, but Pocket Casts makes in impossible to just have the podcasts right under the Podcasts folder.  Instead, the configuration is :

Android/Podcasts/Pocket Casts/Podcasts

Podcasts show up in Sonos and I can play them.  However, they don't refresh consistently. I try refreshing in Pocket Casts, then refreshing in Sonos, closing Sonos, rebooting, etc.  It syncs sporadically.  I have spent well over an hour trying to fix this.  Any suggestons?
Userlevel 1
I'm having the same issue. Despite setting the Pocketcasts download folder to /sdcard/Podcasts the app adds folders which cause Sonos to ignore the files. Could the Sonos Android app be updated to look anywhere under the /Podcasts folder?
Same issue here. Installed the app (Pocket casts) which should work according to Sonos - no luck. Can make it work with Podcast addict if I manually copy the mp3-files to the Podcasts directory, but it should not be necessary. I assume the same would work for Pocket casts too.

Running Android 4.3, Sonos-ctrl 5.1.

I appreciate Sonos introduced the option of playing music directly from "this mobile device", but please fix bugs like this a bit faster. They are really annoying.
It seems the biggest issue here is that Sonos don't support subfolders. If they made changes to support subfolders then it looks like a number of podcast app on Android will be supported including Podcast Addict which I am using. Any chance of this change Sonos?
I agree with Martin. Until Sonos adds folder selection for android devices, they are not compatable. They make a great product, but not compatable with Android devices
hello,

I just bought a Sonos, and I have the same problem.

I change the settings of Podcastaddict to store the podcasts in /Podcats (/storage/emulated/O/Podcasts). but, it created subfolders.

if I copy a mp3 file in Podcasts, it appears in "my device", but never if deep in the subfolders.

any idea if Sonos is working on this issue ? or any idea to solve this ?

thanks
Userlevel 2
Badge
Same problem here. SONOS with Android is really unusable. The staff should do some more work to make the Android version the same as the iOS one. With Android you can't play podcasts on the device. With iOS you can't use locksceen control. With both the search engine doesn't work very well, especially for podcasts.
Where is the "podcast" folder. There are a lot of "podcast" folders in Android. What is the exact full path?
Userlevel 2
Badge +7
I am using Pocketcast on an LG G4 phone and a Google Nexus 10 tablet and both are running versions of Android Lollipop, and work fine with my Sonos system.

In the Pocketcasts app goto Settings, Select Custom Folder, and then the following path: /storage/emulated/0/Podcasts.
You will then be prompted if you want to move existing downloaded podcasts. If you say yes, it will take a few minutes, and then you might need to reboot your phone/tablet to force the indexing of the audio files, so that the Sonos app can then find them.

Good luck
hello,

do you know if Pocketcasts is working with subfolders ?

I use Podcastaddict, and there it's also possible to move all the podcats under /storage/emulated/0/Podcasts, but there, it creates sub-folders to manage the podcasts.

and the Sonos Android program doesnt search under the sub-folders.

regarsd
Userlevel 2
Badge +7
Just looking at my phone ...
I see in the storage/emulated/0/Podcasts folder

a Pocketcasts subfolder

In that folder I find further subfolders:

custom_episodes
downloadTmp
images
network_images
opml_import
podcast_thumbnails
podcasts
podcasts.html

in the podcasts folder there are all of the .mp3 files ... although with some very strange naming convention.
There are no more subfolders in here separating the different programs/artists/broadcasters etc
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
A Google Cast partnership would solve this, simple. When is it going to happen?
Userlevel 1
Badge
Iif I have PodcastAddict keep in the non-SD location, I can choose to put the podcasts in the Podcasts directory, but they are placed in subdirectories, and Sonos does not search the subdirectories.

But if you keep the podcasts in the SD, then Sonos cannot find the podcasts.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Since late December, I have requested that Sonos update their podcast page
https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2198

and admit that there aren't any Android podcast apps which work with Sonos.

I also requested that Sonos fix the problem.

Sonos finally answered:

If so, we make no claim to allowing sub-directories of the Podcasts folder available to Sonos. At this time the Podcast files must directly reside in the Podcasts folder.

though they aren't will to fix their web page.

I use PodcastAddict, then copy files to the top level Podcasts directory using the File Manager app. This is very painful.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Here is a solution for Podcast Addict.

There is a Podcast Addict option which says:

Share with other apps
Allow other apps like Google music, Sonos, ... to see and index your downloaded podcasts

When this option is chosen
and Podcast Addict is downloaded into /storage/emulated/0/Podcasts
then I can find the podcasts within Sonos, even though the the podcasts are stored in subdirectories.

I don't understand why Sonos cannot find podcasts when stored in the SD.

However, this option allows me to use Podcast Addict and Sonos together.
I do not understand why Sonos is so reluctant to address Podcasts problems.

I mean it is quite simple. They can simply parse and scan a directory/folder and check the sub-directories if necessary. I don't understand this.

I put Sonos all over my apartment and then I have this very annoying limitation.
If you do this, it is not necessarily playing the Mp3, might be streaming the podcast fresh, and then you can't fast-forward...

Here is a solution for Podcast Addict.

There is a Podcast Addict option which says:

Share with other apps
Allow other apps like Google music, Sonos, ... to see and index your downloaded podcasts

When this option is chosen
and Podcast Addict is downloaded into /storage/emulated/0/Podcasts
then I can find the podcasts within Sonos, even though the the podcasts are stored in subdirectories.

I don't understand why Sonos cannot find podcasts when stored in the SD.

However, this option allows me to use Podcast Addict and Sonos together.
Bumping this because I still have this option, even though I've changed the storage location of the podcasts in Podcast Addict and checked the field that "allows access" to other apps.

I've even tried copying the files into the "correct" directory but still can't see anything.

Does anyone have a consistent reliable solution?
Userlevel 1
Badge
I have been using this option for quite a while now. Podcastaddict installed on adopted SD (not officially supported to podcastadict, but it works). Then share, and I can podcasts under "On this mobile device/Podcasts"