Question

Please share the true Sonos "software development" future

• 23 November 2017
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge
For me there is an "old" Sonos experience that started about 5 years ago which I can describe as a joyful experience where me and my family happily used it as an add on to playing our beloved records. Even to an extend we introduced Sonos in our business as well. And there is a "new" Sonos that started a couple of months ago, especially from update 7.4 forward which I can describe frustrating, policed and bold. We stopped using the Sonos system in our house.

I've been in contact with some competing platforms, including Bluesound. Non of them were clear about the future direction of the software and so far non of them support rolling back software, so whatever platform your hopping on, you will always run into the risk of getting your devices useless because of software decisions you do or may not like. It seems to be the consequence of investing in "connected" devices. You assume you buy a hardware device but the (future) functionality entirely depends on the software, on which you have NO control in case of Sonos. I find that a hard conclusion at the moment which I hope current and new companies will respond to with sharing a clear vision on future developments, especially the software. The good thing is that the current software for Bluesound is dark and does not require an account to set up. But also Bluesound is not clear about future decisions even though they state that changes in the software are all following requests and suggestions by their customers, but that's what I hear Sonos say as well...

So before I put my Sonos system on the market to sell it to a person that accepts the "new" Sonos reality, I have a request to Sonos: Be open on your intentions with the software. Where is it in about 1 year and what are the rules or guidelines you're basing your decisions on? With this you may slowly regain trust in the future value of a Sonos system.

For me personally two things are absolute show stoppers in the current software: The white interface and the password requirement for adding players or setting up a system. So my question is to give an honest answer to these questions: When will the software become dark again? When will you make the Sonos account optional again?

Seems like two stupid questions if I read them back. I could not even imagine them a couple of months ago; that indeed is stupid...

I look forward to hearing you sharing your thoughts Sonos.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
They aren't stupid questions. As you know there has been a lot of chatter about the brightness of the new app and we know that Sonos is aware. As to the password "issue" we know it's been talked about ad nauseam.

What is stupid, however, is threatening to quit or bin your system for what are extremely minor issues and not even related to the primary function of the products.

And take it from a long term poster that you will not get anything more from Sonos than a polite acknowledgment of your requests and a promise to pass it to the team.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
No company is ever going to disclose their development path or up and coming features, other than imminent releases. This would be manner from heaven for their competitors.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Thanks Stuart and bockersjv for replying.

Sorry I sounded as threathening. That was not my intention, I wanted to indicate the two major (not minor to me) issues stopped me and my family using Sonos. There are other issues though but I don’t expect perfection, just the things that were great once.

About openness on software, I think it is the other way around. In a case like the acceptance and embracement of software is the discriminator in the success of a device. If people (like me for example) loose trust in future editions of software the future value evaporates. Once a majority of customers starts realizing this, it becomes a key asset to have a clear view on the future and manage people’s expectations, preventing big disappointments as currently happens with Sonos. The better you are at communicating about your future intentions and the better you are at managing expectations, the more successful you are. It’s not the hardware or software that creates the competitive edge (both are just good) but the relationship with customers and managing their expectations is.

I just invited Sonos to try this path since there has been no evidence the past couple of weeks they moved only the slightest step towards this new approach. I just find arrogance and ignorance here, making it even harder to accept the changes (making things bad) that are forced upon me as a user.

Might be too late for me, but others may be staying as a customer and buy new Sonos players going forward.

Hope this helps a bit.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Bockersjv, I think you are right about Sonos being a company that is not (yet) aware about the importance of trust in future functioning of their hardware. It's quiet here from their side.

I have seen no sign the 8.0 UI is changed back to the user friendly and intuitive (dark) previous version. Not even an apology. Just vague answers like "the feedback is forwarded to the dev teams"... Sonos NOW is just about selling new devices to new customers who either don't know the Sonos experience NOW is at most half of how good is was not so long ago or they simply don't care. And there is NO direction for improvement given. Sonos lost me as customer, ambassador and supporter.

I will stop posting here since I feel Sonos' behaviour and attitude has a very negative impact on me. I don't want to write up this kind of things. I want to listen to music and be happy with my family, friends and colleagues.

Sincerely and good bye.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
What a load of complete and utter nonsense. Sonos are a manufacturer of speakers for home use.

You’re behaving like a teenager whose first love has just run off with the milkman.

I think a bit of perspective and self reflection is in order.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
The white screen is preventing you using Sonos. OK! Does it prevent you using email too?
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
The white screen is preventing you using Sonos. OK! Does it prevent you using email too?

Who knows? It does appear to trigger quite some arrogance and rudeness among the truly avid users.