Please go back to the last app, the update sucks SO bad!

Userlevel 5
Badge
Is there any way to revert back to the last app before the recent update? This latest update is just plain stupid.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

397 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

And the vast majority of my posts are helping people. You would see that if you ever ventured out of these complaint threads.

Wtf Physician heal thyself, your post history shows this to be completely false.

But like you say you can post what you want where you want since Sonos is all good with it.
Oh Logan. What are we going to do with you?
Userlevel 2
Badge
The new app really sucks! Sonos needs to learn the lesson Coke did in 1985 when they tried to shove the "new Coke" down our throats! The people spoke out and Coke was forced to bring back what is now know as "classic Coke". The more we speak out against the new app there is a better chance they will produce an app that flows like the old one. Evey one I know that uses Sonos absolutely hates the newer app.
Userlevel 2
Badge
The new app really sucks! Sonos needs to learn the lesson Coke did in 1985 when they tried to shove the "new Coke" down our throats! The people spoke out and Coke was forced to bring back what is now know as "classic Coke". The more we speak out against the new app there is a better chance they will produce an app that flows like the old one. Evey one I know that uses Sonos absolutely hates the newer app.

Maybe they can have two controller Apps. Classic controller app and New controller app. Let the Sonos PAYING users decide. I contacted Sonos and they responded that you cannot go back to older version. Very short reply and no explanation why. Customers do not like to be treated like they have no say in the product they purchased and the UI worked perfectly fine until the manufacturer made a major change in the UI. To not give the OPTION to allow you to use the app you have used for years is just real bad customer relations! The existing Sonos users are the largest form of advertising Sonos has and if these users are not taken care of they will talk down the product. SONOS, PLEASE LISTEN TO YOUR PAYING CUSTOMERS.
Unfortunately for the two apps scenario, Apple policies allow only a single app to be updated on the app store. Sonos could leave the old version of 7.4 up, but it is immediately missing Settings menus for basic setup, along with all the new features like Alexa and play through Pandora, and as the firmware gets updated, eventually it will cease working altogether. This is why they cannot release two apps.
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
A simple renaming can fix that single app issue. You just call one the sonos classic controller and you're done.

The cost of now having to develop and maintain two versions of the same app is another story of course. Which is why it's best to put some proper effort in a single version actually capable of satisfying a wide range of customers.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Still no response from Sonos regarding this crappy app! Looks like the writing is on the wall. This is the way companies respond when they are going down. By the time they figure out they need to make a change it will be too late to recover.
Still no response from Sonos regarding this crappy app! Looks like the writing is on the wall. This is the way companies respond when they are going down. By the time they figure out they need to make a change it will be too late to recover.

From a few days ago, in the main 8.0 app announcement thread:

Hi everyone, we appreciate the feedback all around.

The team is listening and working to incorporate your feedback into the new app. You'll see some changes coming to the next versions of the app. They're looking into the brightness of the app and working on ways to balance the contrast. They're also looking into ways to improve the general flow of the app, and streamline navigation.

Thanks for sharing and please let us know what you think as the app develops.
I fell in love with the Sonos product about five years ago when I purchased my first Play 5. Everything worked great. Now they put out this new app update that has destroyed everything great about Sonos! The glitches in the app do not allow me to play different audios to different speakers. In addition, It takes multiple attempts to change what I am playing to the speaker before it actually works. I am extremely frustrated with the lack of testing by Sonos before releasing this app update. I want the old app back!!!Please try this. Please just try. Let's say you have two rooms and you want to put a track from your music library on in the Kitchen, and you want to search for a particular artist to put on in the Living Room. Substitute your room names obviously.

1. If you are on the Now Playing screen you will need to swipe down the screen. If not, the tab bar should already be visible at the bottom of the screen.
2. If Kitchen (K) or Living Room (LR) is already the highlighted room, go with it. If not, tap either K or LR. Let's assume we have Kitchen highlighted.
3. Tap Browse on the tab bar, and then Music Library, and then just do what you have always done - i.e. find the song and tap to play it.
4. Tap the Rooms button
5. Tap LR once to highlight it
6. Tap Search and then search for what you want just as you have always done. Tap to play your choice.

Does that help?

It isn't always this simple. The extra swiping is a big pain, waste of time. K.I.S.S. principle in effect to remain high end. My family can't use Sonos without my help any more. That is very sad.

This morning I ungrouped office from an office + spa group. Spa remains selected. I select my music from Pandora. It begins blaring in my office. But office isn't selected. I swipe out of spa and select office. But office show a play button because even the app doesn't think office is playing music. I swipe out of office back to spa and pause (but there was no music playing in spa. Now the office group shows music playing. I swipe out of spa and select office. I can finally pause office, but now I have woke someone up with music I never wanted to play in that area of the house at this time. I swipe out of office and select spa. I select my Pandora station. Finally after about 12 pointless swipes I have my music. But Pandora stops after 10 seconds and says "can not play media". I go back to the media tab and chose another Pandora station, and finally I get to chose the station I want again. This process took 90 seconds. Played music in areas I did not want. Required more than a dozen swipes and selections. This is not audiophile satisfaction. This is annoying nuisance and a bad way to start the day for everyone in the house. It just sucks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
It isn't always this simple. The extra swiping is a big pain, waste of time. K.I.S.S. principle in effect to remain high end. My family can't use Sonos without my help any more. That is very sad.

This morning I ungrouped office from an office + spa group. Spa remains selected. I select my music from Pandora. It begins blaring in my office. But office isn't selected. I swipe out of spa and select office. But office show a play button because even the app doesn't think office is playing music. I swipe out of office back to spa and pause (but there was no music playing in spa. Now the office group shows music playing. I swipe out of spa and select office. I can finally pause office, but now I have woke someone up with music I never wanted to play in that area of the house at this time. I swipe out of office and select spa. I select my Pandora station. Finally after about 12 pointless swipes I have my music. But Pandora stops after 10 seconds and says "can not play media". I go back to the media tab and chose another Pandora station, and finally I get to chose the station I want again. This process took 90 seconds. Played music in areas I did not want. Required more than a dozen swipes and selections. This is not audiophile satisfaction. This is annoying nuisance and a bad way to start the day for everyone in the house. It just sucks.

All I can say is that I don't have any of these issues in either of my Sonos households. Almost no swiping is required in the iOS apps to tap between selecting rooms, selecting sources, grouping/ungrouping. It's fast, easy and reliable. Swiping is only required if you repeatedly bring up the 'Now Playing' screen.
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
Swiping is only required if you repeatedly bring up the 'Now Playing' screen.
Which is for many, if not most, the logical thing to do, as that's what we use sonos for, to play things now.

The now playing screen coincidentally contains all the features you need quick access to: artist/song info & art, play/pause, previous & next, queue, etc. In fact the only thing missing is being able to switch rooms (because it was removed from the red room thingy), and quickly browse for audio not related to what's currently playing (because the direct access to the menu was removed as well).

Look at the new app from this perspective and it's obvious why so may are unhappy with it: it's 'designed' upside down, with a focus on navigation instead of the main functionality.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Swiping is only required if you repeatedly bring up the 'Now Playing' screen.
Which is for many, if not most, the logical thing to do, as that's what we use sonos for, to play things now.

My point is that the tortuous series of steps described in the post I was responding to is mostly unnecessary.

I am hoping that Sonos does make a change to keep the bottom navigation bar immediately acessible at all times. I think that would address most of the confusion experienced by those struggling with app.
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
My point is that the tortuous series of steps described in the post I was responding to is mostly unnecessary
Yes, and who's the blame for that, the customer - who didn't have issues with the previous app - or the badly designed new app?

From the scenario it looks like both not being able to switch rooms from the now playing screen tripped Free Will over, as well as the rooms screen not providing a sense of 'selection', resulting in a second click.

I am hoping that Sonos does make a change to keep the bottom navigation bar immediately acessible at all times. I think that would address most of the confusion experienced by those struggling with app.
It may ameliorate things, but it still be far from ideal. Not only was the previous design more intuitive for most (the upside down effect I mentioned earlier), the new design will, whenever you need to scroll, be wasting space by always showing that nav bar - and on tablet even more so - without there being a meaningful benefit.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Not only was the previous design more intuitive for most (the upside down effect I mentioned earlier), the new design will, whenever you need to scroll, be wasting space by always showing that nav bar - and on tablet even more so - without there being a meaningful benefit.
It will not surprise you that I disagree. As has been noted in several places, 'Intuitive' and 'familiar' are not the same concepts. So, let's just continue to agree to differ, and I'll watch with interest to see if the campaign to revert the app is successful.
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
As has been noted in several places, 'Intuitive' and 'familiar' are not the same concepts.
Fully agree on that one. Intuitive means easy to understand and use, regardless of familiarity (although that may be a helpful factor). The key point is that you shouldn't have to put much conscious thought in it to use, it should just feel natural to interact with.

And when you see people stumble over the same issues time and time again, and even sonos - albeit reluctantly - agrees there is a steep learning curve, it's fair the say the new interface is not intuitive.

Doesn't mean the previous app was perfect either, but it sure was a lot more intuitive, and thus for the large majority of us, a lot better.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
So is sonos even listening to this thread? Is there enough complaints to even be noticeable yet?
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
The crappy part is that you can't even keep the old app like some other apps can, sonos forces you to update which sucks cause in our bars and restaurants the music stops on next reboot then the manager calls me on how to get it working again and it gets old quick cause there has been a lot of updates now.... FIX IT PLEASE
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
The best we've got in the 3 months these issues with the new app have been dragging on is

Hi everyone, we appreciate the feedback all around.

The team is listening and working to incorporate your feedback into the new app. You'll see some changes coming to the next versions of the app. They're looking into the brightness of the app and working on ways to balance the contrast. They're also looking into ways to improve the general flow of the app, and streamline navigation.

Thanks for sharing and please let us know what you think as the app develops.

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/now-available-the-new-sonos-app-6791306/index20.html#post16185810

So yes, they are 'listening' but don't get your hopes up too much.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
So basically it's a PR tactic to shut us up 😉
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
So basically it's a PR tactic to shut us up ;)
There's some minor disagreement about that on this board. but I'm inclined to agree. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I have never know Sonos to purposefully mislead about anything. They are very careful to never promise anything until it is coming to fruition. They don't make false claims.
We shall see. I know where my money lies. I also predict certain posters will weasel out of their predictions somehow.
I am just hoping Sonos don't listen to some of the dafter suggestions, like moving the tab bar to the top of the screen or re-ordering the buttons. I cannot bear change for change's sake.
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
I think more people are asking for changes — not too many are making predictions, and it would be speculation anyway.

One thing is for sure though, if there are substantial changes for the better, it would be more down to those who took the time to go online to complain (constructive or not), rather than those who defended v8.

I am (for a second time) in agreement with Jgatie though and predict there will be little more than minor tweaks in the next few updates.

Jgatie may (and apologies for speaking on your behalf) say that this proves him right, and this shows that v8 is fundamentally sound and minor tweaks are all that is needed. I would say that it is because Sonos simply refuse to admit that on this one they have got it wrong, and because I have lost faith in their ability to write decent software anymore. You can’t, as the saying goes, polish a turd. :D

Andrew
No, apologies or not, you may not speak for me andrew. Not.At.All. Bad enough you people order me to shut up, I'll be damned if after I do, you deign yourself able to speak on my behalf.

This will not end well for any one of us, as your preemptive excuses prove. The same sides will dig in, the same garbage insults thrown, by both contingencies. Useless nonsense, except of course for the non-posting masses who couldn't care less about this playground contest, and will welcome the tweaks for what they are, a response to complaints by those who offered calm, constructive feedback, instead of vitriol, hatred, and cries to return to an old version they knew had no chance of coming back.

See you all in three years!