Please go back to the last app, the update sucks SO bad!

Userlevel 5
Badge
Is there any way to revert back to the last app before the recent update? This latest update is just plain stupid.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

397 replies

Give it a rest JGatie, it is not a competition. We all have access to the Sonos release notes so if you are saying nothing changed from v5.0 to 7.4 (25 releases BTW) then you are making yourself look like a fool and I thought you were an intelligent man.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
I really see no need for the hostility in this thread. Don’t take things so seriously guys. There are legitimate concerns with the app. Yes there is a ridiculous amount of exaggeration on how “terrible” the app is but there are concerns which we trust Sonos is looking at.

Let us calm down and have some patience for a comprehensive response from Sonos in terms of adjustments.
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
Two of the reasons people feel so very strongly about this (and hands up, I am one of them) are firstly that this is not a throw-away app. It is intrinsic to hardware that many have invested very considerable sums of money in. In that respect their grievance is very real. If (and everyone’s experience is valid for them) they feel their product has is in some way impaired by v8, why wouldn’t they be vocal about it?

Secondly, Sonos is sooooo not responsive. They are not their to do our bidding. I wouldn’t expect them to. But it stokes peoples resentment to have dozens of threads and hundreds of messages and only ‘we will pass this on to the team’ in response. Then of course there have been the 5 updates pushed out since 8.0 which appear to have addressed almost none of the feedback.

If sonos were to say something — anything meaningful, well that might quell the discord.

Just saying

Andrew
Give it a rest JGatie, it is not a competition. We all have access to the Sonos release notes so if you are saying nothing changed from v5.0 to 7.4 (25 releases BTW) then you are making yourself look like a fool and I thought you were an intelligent man.

The release notes say nothing about the changes to the UI except the queue. So quick, tell me what they did to change the 5.0 UI which was horrible into 7.4 that everyone wants? The changes were not as extensive as you think and certainly not what everyone was asking for. They didn't change the color scheme. Now people love it. They didn't change the unused space on the tablet app. Now people think it's great. They didn't change the way you changed rooms or group. Now people love the old way and hate the new. You know what they did? They put the scrobbing bar/track progress back and changed the display of the queue. Also, they displayed album art on searches. Also, put album names below tracks in some places.

Now you explain how those minor changes magically transformed the most hated UI ever (until this one) into one everyone is pining for? I'll be waiting.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
jgatie is correct. The UI version prior to this was fairly universally hated (it wasn't the great version others make it now out to be). Some tweaks to this one and it could eventually be better in my opinion. As a matter of fact I will go out and say with some tweaks this one could definitely be better then previous UI (with some tweaks for sure).

My real gripe - still the unprotected queue - which is what was initiated in previous version not this one.
I also created an online profile to chime in on this issue. We have loved our Sonos system for 2 years, and use it 95% of the time we're home. We've been trying to be open minded about this latest update for at least a month, BUT WE STILL HATE IT. Not intuitive, too many extra steps and swiping away of screens to get to previous menus. Also HATE that Pandora stations are not alphabetical, and don't like all the large icons - takes too long to find anything. Tried to show a family member how great it was (or used to be), but only succeeded in thoroughly confusing him. This is the first update we've had a problem with. PLEASE FIX!!!!!
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Lol, here's one (complete with the melodrama!) that could have been written today:

Sonos came into our homes and stole the elegant, effective, attractive controller we used with our sound systems. In its place we were left with a hideous 'modern' monstrosity which just gets in the way of our interaction with our music. If it were a physical device the police would have been involved days ago, but because it's software you can just do what you like and there's absolutely nothing we can do about it. At best, that's minus several million out of 10 for customer service.

I've attempted to offer quite a lot of constructive feedback in other threads, but even if Sonos condescends to listen to it (and based on some of the feedback from beta testers that looks rather unlikely; seems you heard it ALL during the testing phase) it's going to take quite a while before a customisable app is available. And even then may not address the issues satisfactorily.

In the meantime, YOU HAVE BROKEN MY SOUND SYSTEM. IT'S ABSOLUTELY PAINFUL TO USE AND TO LOOK AT.

So I strongly suggest that Sonos gets its finger out, reconsiders its plans as a matter of urgency and thinks of a good way to roll out the brand new 'Sonos Classic' controller app alongside 5.0.

Remember folks, this about essentially the very same app you are asking to get back today!!

I never said the previous version was any good...it wasn’t....the only version that was any good was the blue single screen version...no version since then has come close to its ease of use and simplicity....sonos decided to change it to make it look trendy.....and in doing so made it more convoluted and complicated...again ..how exactly is it better?..less taps?..no....better layout?.no....more logical?...no.....at least the windows app is still the blue version...untill someone gets around to screwing that one up to..
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
jgatie is correct. The UI version prior to this was fairly universally hated (it wasn't the great version others make it now out to be). Some tweaks to this one and it could eventually be better in my opinion. As a matter of fact I will go out and say with some tweaks this one could definitely be better then previous UI (with some tweaks for sure).

My real gripe - still the unprotected queue - which is what was initiated in previous version not this one.

I agree with you Chris - then only UI change that drove me crazy was those changes made to the queue management - I found everything else positive or at least tolerable. I do agree that there are current changes that are not really improvements but more attempts to produce a familiar interface to new customers who are possible accustomed to the popular streaming services.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
the only version that was any good was the blue single screen version...no version since then has come close to its ease of use and simplicity.

Absolutely hilarious. You can't truly be serious???? That was a good one. Can't stop laughing......

Let's ride around in horse and carriage as well why don't we??? LOL!!!
Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Absolutely hilarious. You can't truly be serious???? That was a good one. Can't stop laughing......

I’m not sure that this is entirely fair, as to their great credit, Sonos got so much right at the very beginning.

I’m not sure which version they were at when I bought into this around 2009, but I remember how incredibly usable the CR200 software was. You could give it to anyone and they could instantly find their way around it. Even today It still looks good, and it is not old fashioned / quaint or outmoded — so the horse / carriage comparison is a bit off.

There isn’t a huge amount that the later versions do that the older versions didn’t (a few things log course, Truesoumd comes to mind) — the main thing any controller has to do is find a song, pick a room and play. That’s the bread and butter of iit —- nothing earth shattering. But you can’t give v8 to someone without showing them around. I know —- I’ve tried it.

So, you’d think having got it so good at the beginning, by version 8 they would have further refined it to perfection. Personally I would rather have the CR2000 circa 2009 than v8. It is by every usability criteria a far far better product.

Andrew
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
Andrew I do not spend time memorizing version numbers and features like some do in this forum. What I do know is the move from the blue controller was a definite step forward and incredible usable and also more aesthetically pleasing. It introduced universal search as well which was a material step forward at least to me. I cannot pine for the blue controller days....sorry.

Again I agree that things have gotten a bit less straightforward recently from the queue changes to the latest tabbed approach.
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
hi Burt, nah I don’t pine for it either. I’m not sentimental about such things, I don’t prefer Windows 3.0 through to Windows 8 over Windows 10. Though I did prefer 7 over 8. Big companies do get it wrong as MS did over Win8.

I just think Sonos has been getting it wrong with their software design for some time. I just think the blue controller got so so much right. It’s all down to personal preference and choice.

Unfortunately (in my perusal opinion) UI design in general is moving away from labelled buttons and obvious layouts to unlabelled chevrons and screens that swipe in from nowhere. Maybe I’m getting old but I don’t see this as intuitive but everyone is doing it so who am I to say?

Andrew

I never said the previous version was any good...it wasn’t....the only version that was any good was the blue single screen version...no version since then has come close to its ease of use and simplicity....sonos decided to change it to make it look trendy.....and in doing so made it more convoluted and complicated...again ..how exactly is it better?..less taps?..no....better layout?.no....more logical?...no.....at least the windows app is still the blue version...untill someone gets around to screwing that one up to..

You do not need to look far to see that very many people have expressed that the previous version was utter perfection. The post you quoted could have been written about 8.0 vs 5.0, complete with the hyperbole and melodrama. Just this week, there was a poster who likened the shift from 7.4 to 8.0 to a perfect relationship that shifted to abusive overnight. Indeed, this very thread is a plea to return to the former app. The convenient revisionist history that "I never said the previous version was any good...it wasn’t" only showed up after I pointed out the sheer hypocrisy of posters clamoring for a reversal to the previous version that they once hated with the heat of 1000 suns.

So I'm sorry, unless you started off posting about 8.0 by saying "7.4 sucked, but it was better than this", you really have no leg to stand on.
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
You do not need to look far to see that very many people have expressed that the previous version was utter perfection....

So I'm sorry, unless you started off posting about 8.0 by saying "7.4 sucked, but it was better than this", you really have no leg to stand on.

So what's the point? Because some may or not have said this or that about such or such version, suddenly none of the critique is valid?

Sounds like a silly attempt to side step a discussion about the actual merits of the new design.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3

You do not need to look far to see that very many people have expressed that the previous version was utter perfection. The post you quoted could have been written about 8.0 vs 5.0, complete with the hyperbole and melodrama. Just this week, there was a poster who likened the shift from 7.4 to 8.0 to a perfect relationship that shifted to abusive overnight. Indeed, this very thread is a plea to return to the former app. The convenient revisionist history that "I never said the previous version was any good...it wasn’t" only showed up after I pointed out the sheer hypocrisy of posters clamoring for a reversal to the previous version that they once hated with the heat of 1000 suns.

Shrugs i can understand you not looking back at my prevoous posts life’s too short etc...but i have always said nothing is better than the old blue version......all a matter of opinion.....
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
the only version that was any good was the blue single screen version...no version since then has come close to its ease of use and simplicity.

No stop it ...please...i mean that’s just soo hilarious.....horse and carriage?...please. ..my sides etc....but nice to see it’s not just the people who don’t like the new app resorting to non specific abuse.....if you can provide some evidence of improvemrnt it would be good if only because holding my breath this long is hurting...lol...

Shrugs i can understand you not looking back at my prevoous posts life’s too short etc...but i have always said nothing is better than the old blue version......all a matter of opinion.....

Then you are in a distinct minority. Others most certainly praised the former app until they were reminded of their former postings about 5.0. They then backpedaled like crazy.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Jgatie is right. The blue version was fairly universally praised and 5.0 panned just like this one (with people asking to revert back same as this). Now people want 5.0 ui back ( which 5.0 was tweaked and obviously people came to like it if you go by this thread - far cry from the storm of haters back when 5.0 came out).

It really comes down to - people don’t like it changed because they have to relearn. But they eventually adjust and then they like the newer version. I’m not praising the current state of this version as I think is not intuitive in current form. But more of the issue is muscle memory and having to readjust.

I think this new version has potential to be the best with some tweaks. But it needs tweaked a good bit. And of course queue lock added. That would certainly make it my favorite of all time.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Then you are in a distinct minority. Others most certainly praised the former app until they were reminded of their former postings about 5.0. They then backpedaled like crazy.

I am sure you are right...but as i said i didn’t.....back pedal that is...as i didn’t consider them better than blue....so if i am in a minority’s it’s a consistent minority..,lol....
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Jgatie is right. The blue version was fairly universally praised and 5.0 panned just like this one (with people asking to revert back same as this). Now people want 5.0 ui back ( which 5.0 was tweaked and obviously people came to like it if you go by this thread - far cry from the storm of haters back when 5.0 came out).

It really comes down to - people don’t like it changed because they have to relearn. But they eventually adjust and then they like the newer version. I’m not praising the current state of this version as I think is not intuitive in current form. But more of the issue is muscle memory and having to readjust.

I think this new version has potential to be the best with some tweaks. But it needs tweaked a good bit. And of course queue lock added. That would certainly make it my favorite of all time.

Well i am glad to hear its worked for you.....personally i like stuff that works and doesn’t need tweaking to stay the same..untweaked or not in need of tweaking...but can see your point ....alll change is good etc....
Is there any way to revert back to the last app before the recent update? This latest update is just plain stupid.
Rather than just dog pile this subject that the new Sonos app 'sucks', I would rather say that both the original (and certainly) the new version of the app are - lacking. Apps should be incredibly intuitive. Like the Sonos system itself, it's so simple to install and get running, the oddity being that the app is inferior to the system itself. What happened to managing my equalizer? What is grouping speakers so difficult to do now? Why is it that after using the new app 20+ times I am still 'hunting' and 'pecking' my way through this thing to uncover things that an intuitive app would have taught me my 3rd time through. This seems such an easy fix. Not sure why SONOS has made it so user UN-friendly...
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I think as others have suggested they have in to many ways tried to emulate other programs such as apple music and Spotify in order to draw in new users who find it more "familiar". However, it doesn't take long for that "familiarity" to be noticeably lacking when it comes to controlling multi-room.

Honesty I think this new version with some tweaking could work. I like the new navigation bar at the bottom. It unfortunately disappears during now playing and then all confusion breaks loose. There is potential here to be the best version yet.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
I think as others have suggested they have in to many ways tried to emulate other programs such as apple music and Spotify in order to draw in new users who find it more "familiar". However, it doesn't take long for that "familiarity" to be noticeably lacking when it comes to controlling multi-room.

Honesty I think this new version with some tweaking could work. I like the new navigation bar at the bottom. It unfortunately disappears during now playing and then all confusion breaks loose. There is potential here to be the best version yet.

Yes at the very least a multi room music system should have the room option visible....
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
Yes at the very least a multi room music system should have the room option visible....

And the sad thing is that it still is visible. Some 'genius" however decided to reduce that option to room configuration instead of selection. & configuration (as it used to be). Still waiting for a sensible explanation of that stunt.

Honesty I think this new version with some tweaking could work. I like the new navigation bar at the bottom. It unfortunately disappears during now playing and then all confusion breaks loose.

Having the bottom bar always visible won't solve it I think. Room selection may become more accessible, but music selection will still be fragmented and detached from the currently selected room.

The previous app was more of lens on the current selection with functionality on top. And that is much more intuitive for a remote controller than this new model which always starts with getting rid of that lens.