Please go back to the last app, the update sucks SO bad!

Userlevel 5
Badge
Is there any way to revert back to the last app before the recent update? This latest update is just plain stupid.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

397 replies

Userlevel 1
New pool of beta testers is needed. How did this pass???
Userlevel 1
My opinion and experience is clearly reflected in the comments. TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE. The UI is not intuitive and room changing doesn't work. I'm very frustrated.
Userlevel 1
Why? Previously it was all so straightforward. "If it ain't broke. . . . . . . .". What was the thinking behind the latest update? Please just give us one logical reason for making the update so thoroughly unpleasant to use. Then please change it back to the penultimate update which had a satisfying, user friendly, workability about it. Surely we can't all be expected to switch to a competitors' system which the current update is driving us all too?
Userlevel 2
Badge
OMG, what happend to you Sonos. For so many years you have done a great job releasing software and then you release this terrible pile of rubbish. I have been trying since the upgrade to get in touch with the interface, but it is truly unintuitive and unworkable. Please, please revert back to the old one. It wasn't broke, in fact it was really good, so stop playing with it.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Another former fan who agrees with others here regarding app v8. Sonos please have some courage and give us the old app back at least temporarily, if you must continue with v8. Please listen to your community and act on the feedback, thank you.
I uninstalled the 8.0 app and found an apk mirror for Sonos 7.4, I reverted back to 7.4 for android

How did you do that exactly?

1. Delete 8.0 version app

2. Download the APK from site like:
https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/sonos-inc/sonos/sonos-7-4-release/sonos-controller-for-android-7-4-android-apk-download/

2.5 If downloaded on computer transfer APK to phone with memory card, email, Drive, or Dropbox

3. Install Tutuapp APK

thanks Jeff
I faced the same issue.
This helps me a lot
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
I uninstalled the 8.0 app and found an apk mirror for Sonos 7.4, I reverted back to 7.4 for android

How did you do that exactly?

1. Delete 8.0 version app

2. Download the APK from site like:
https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/sonos-inc/sonos/sonos-7-4-release/sonos-controller-for-android-7-4-android-apk-download/

2.5 If downloaded on computer transfer APK to phone with memory card, email, Drive, or Dropbox

3. Install Tutuapp APK

thanks Jeff
I faced the same issue.
This helps me a lot

this will only work if you are on 8.0. If you updated 8.1 or later the 7.4 app wont run
Userlevel 3
Badge
From Wikipedia: New Coke was discontinued in July 2002. It remains influential as a cautionary tale against tampering too extensively with a well-established and successful brand.

New Coke was the unofficial name for the reformulation of Coca-Cola introduced in April 1985 by the Coca-Cola Company to replace the original formula of its flagship soft drink, Coca-Cola (also called Coke). New Coke originally had no separate name of its own but was simply known as "the new taste of Coca-Cola" until 1992, when it was renamed Coke II.

Coca-Cola's market share had been losing ground to diet soft drinks and non-cola beverages for many years. Consumers who were purchasing regular colas seemed to prefer the sweeter taste of rival Pepsi-Cola, as Coca-Cola learned in conducting blind taste tests. However, the American public's reaction to the change was negative, even hostile, and the new cola was a major failure. The subsequent, rapid reintroduction of Coke's original formula, rebranded "Coca-Cola Classic" and put back into market within three months of New Coke's debut, resulted in a significant gain in sales. This led to speculation that the introduction of the New Coke formula was just a marketing ploy; however, the company has maintained it was a genuine attempt to replace the original product.[1]
Agree with most, this latest update and the changes to the GUI are so tremendously bad I hate using this system now, compared to loving it before. Plus, alarms no longer can be relied upon and seem to work on a periodicity only Sonos seems to know
Userlevel 2
Badge
Same issue here, alarms don't work any more after waking me up successfully for the last 5 years.
Then when you look at the controller first thing in the morning to turn it on manually the white background is blinding.
Sonos don't seem to care about all the negative comments, maybe this is the time to move it on.
The only think going for it it is that the Windows version is still good and works well although it still doesn't fix the Alarm bug.
The good news is Amazon just added "wake to music" on their alarms so you can use your Echo or Sonos One to restore the alarm functionality lost in the Sonos upgrade.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Same issue here, alarms don't work any more after waking me up successfully for the last 5 years.
Just curious -- what is the alarm issue? All of my alarms are still working under 8.2, and I welcomed the additional duration options.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Just curious -- what is the alarm issue? All of my alarms are still working under 8.2, and I welcomed the additional duration options.

I have an Alarm set on my Bedroom speaker which should stream a radio station from tune-in, set for Mon-Fri
Used to work but hasn't since the last update, going in manually, after my eyes have got used to the blinding background, it plays fine.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have an Alarm set on my Bedroom speaker which should stream a radio station from tune-in, set for Mon-Fri
Used to work but hasn't since the last update, going in manually, after my eyes have got used to the blinding background, it plays fine.

Thanks. I do the same thing and it's working entirely without issue for me.
I guess there might be a couple of things to check if you haven't done so already:
- Delete and recreate the alarm
- Create an alarm that will fire in the next minute or two, and see if it works
- Check that the clock settings are correct (timezone, automatic updates, daylight savings, etc.)
- Check the alarm volume is non-zero
Is there any way to revert back to the last app before the recent update? This latest update is just plain stupid.

This is the worst UI I've ever worked with. Each time I use it its as confusing as the last. People in my office are starting to use other apps to control the music. Please, for the love of God, roll back the changes. This sucks.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Looks like no one has posted to this issue in 3 days, so here's a bump: the current Sonos app is terrible. Navigation is foolishly cumbersome.
Looks like no one has posted to this issue in 3 days, so here's a bump: the current Sonos app is terrible. Navigation is foolishly cumbersome.

Nobody has posted because people are over their initial shock, they are learning how to use it, and the furor is dying down. Next, the few nagging points like the tab bar on view always and other things will be fixed, and it will die down even more. Until 3 years from now when everyone is complaining about how the next redesign "sucks so bad" and people are begging to go back to 8.0 because it is "beautiful", "intuitive", and "even my wife and kids could operate it!". 😉
Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Nobody has posted because people are over their initial shock, they are learning how to use it, and the furor is dying down. Next, the few nagging points like the tab bar on view always and other things will be fixed, and it will die down even more. Until 3 years from now when everyone is complaining about how the next redesign "sucks so bad" and people are begging to go back to 8.0 because it is "beautiful", "intuitive", and "even my wife and kids could operate it!". ;)

Hmmmm ...i don’t think getting used to it is really how i would define something that’s not even as good as a previous version never mind better....and you really don’t help your case when you fail to acknowledge that this is only one of many threads on how the laterst version is .err....how can i put this?...less than totally useful?..personally when i see multiple threads lavishing praise on how the latest version is. so perfect so intuitive and so good i will know to check the colour of the moon....
Well, would you like to see where the last version that everyone is now "lavishing praise on" was described with words such as "awful", "unintuitive", "sucks", etc., with people begging to go back to the previous version? Because here it is, all 45 pages of it:

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/don-t-like-the-new-app-v5-0-6177488
Lol, here's one (complete with the melodrama!) that could have been written today:

Sonos came into our homes and stole the elegant, effective, attractive controller we used with our sound systems. In its place we were left with a hideous 'modern' monstrosity which just gets in the way of our interaction with our music. If it were a physical device the police would have been involved days ago, but because it's software you can just do what you like and there's absolutely nothing we can do about it. At best, that's minus several million out of 10 for customer service.

I've attempted to offer quite a lot of constructive feedback in other threads, but even if Sonos condescends to listen to it (and based on some of the feedback from beta testers that looks rather unlikely; seems you heard it ALL during the testing phase) it's going to take quite a while before a customisable app is available. And even then may not address the issues satisfactorily.

In the meantime, YOU HAVE BROKEN MY SOUND SYSTEM. IT'S ABSOLUTELY PAINFUL TO USE AND TO LOOK AT.

So I strongly suggest that Sonos gets its finger out, reconsiders its plans as a matter of urgency and thinks of a good way to roll out the brand new 'Sonos Classic' controller app alongside 5.0.

Remember folks, this about essentially the very same app you are asking to get back today!!
Jgatie... give it a rest. The last version was worse than the version before, and this version is worse than the last. Just let people have their say. Stick to “sighing” and telling people to turn their systems on and off again if you want to rule the forum (or start your own).
Jgatie... give it a rest. The last version was worse than the version before, and this version is worse than the last. Just let people have their say. Stick to “sighing” and telling people to turn their systems on and off again if you want to rule the forum (or start your own).

Funny, the only time I've ever heard "The last version was worse than the version before, and this version is worse than the last" is after I called you people out about the above thread. Until then, the last version was utter perfection, and certainly not the "hideous 'modern' monstrosity which just gets in the way of our interaction with our music" as described above.

And I will post what I want, when I want, until the mods tell me to stop. Only one person here is trying to "rule the forum" by dictating what and when people can post. So why don't you give it a rest. Cause we all know three years from now I'll be getting the last laugh on all of you, just like I predicted back when 5.0 came out. 😃
You are rolling out posts from v4.3 which was awesome (blue) to 5 which was shite. Any posts on that change are valid in my eyes. The app got progressively better through to the last version before the upgrade to 8. Not everyone would know about v4.3 and comparing complaints is completely unnecessary. Just let people have their say on the matter especially as so many new people are signing up to this forum to voice their legitimate concerns. You’ve had your say and it is well documented over your many posts.
I repeat: I will post what I want, when I want, until the mods tell me to stop.

You aren't a mod, so I will continue to ignore your plea. I'm sorry that my comparison of the now beloved 5.;0 to the formerly hated 5.0 only validates my stance and invalidates yours, but those are the breaks. Have a nice day!

PS - If 5.0 was originally shite and then evolved into the awesomeness that everyone now wants back, please list the modifications to 5.0 that made it better. They should be easy for you to document, since you are so observant of the evolution of this now wonderful (formerly shite) app, right?

Careful now . . . I actually know what was changed. 😉
I don’t think anyone is asking to roll back to 5.0... they are asking for the last version before the upgrade to 8 which had got progressively better (except for the queue f*ck up, which I believe we are on the same page about), so stop posting irrelevant threads trying to belittle people who have genuine concerns about their product.