Please go back to the last app, the update sucks SO bad!

Userlevel 5
Badge
Is there any way to revert back to the last app before the recent update? This latest update is just plain stupid.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

397 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
As a 10+ year user of Sonos I have been a huge advocate of theirs. However, This newly redesigned Sonos app is a huge leap backwards. In this day and age, one of the most important elements of a technology system is the GUI or user interface. When Sonos released the original app it was a game changer and greatly moved things forward where needed to be to keep up with current times. This however is the most unintuitive app I have ever used. My family is so frustrated with it they want to go back to my LCD Sonos controllers that I once had mounted on the wall throughout the house. The Alexa voice control is a wonderful thing which I use daily but it is obviously limited and the Sonos app is critical to making this system fully functional . This needs to be addressed ASAP. Please Sonos, don't make me convert my entire 12 zone home to something else.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
And feel free to tar and feather the engineer that developed the GUI. Lol.
It’s a terrible update. Messed up the whole house! Awful!!!
Userlevel 1
Agreed, this app is a disaster! I am a Sonos dealer, new customers are frustrated. Sonos has always had an easy to use interface that is easy to teach to new clients after the install was complete. They have now taken a MAJOR step backwards! They have almost begun to make the BluSound App look easy. Come on Sonos, what happened?
Userlevel 1
Please, please roll back to the old one. All the recent updates seem to make it worse. I'm sure the UI is fine if you have a single room or something but a I have Sonos in most rooms and the UI is a bear to work with. I've given it some time and I hate it more every day.
Sonos you need to do something QUICK!!!!! This latest App is a disgrace!
Userlevel 1
The SINGLE WORST FEATURE, if you even want to call it that is queue management for the rooms. Horrific. Literally a joke that this got by QA.

In the old APP (7.4) on Android or iOS, you could have two people playing different queues of music in Room A and Room B. If I closed the app on my phone and later went back in, I went back into the original room and queue I was playing music from.

NOW. When I go back in, I'm presented with the last room and queue that was accessed LAST by any controller on the network.

The queues also get mixed up so that now my Romo A has inherited the queue from Room B and vice versa. Finally getting the controller to switch to a different room is bloody impossible and rarely works without going in and selecting and deselecting multiple rooms until the controller gets it right. During all of this, rooms mysteriously disappear and then reappear.

Seriously the worst upgrade of all time. Back to 7.4 😠
Userlevel 1
Yes, this is the worst update since the first update from the old blue background. The last version was very nearly perfect, Why change it so much. Now on the favorites screen you have to scroll both vertically and horizontally, What were you thinking?!! Please fix this SONOS!!!!
Userlevel 2
Badge
This is awful. I just upgraded today as we wanted to play holiday music throughout house. A system that worked great for years took forever to update. The new app I terrible! And we have zones disappearing, music just stops. Really terrible!!!! Who planned this and ruined Sonos???
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
The SINGLE WORST FEATURE, if you even want to call it that is queue management for the rooms. Horrific. Literally a joke that this got by QA.

In the old APP (7.4) on Android or iOS, you could have two people playing different queues of music in Room A and Room B. If I closed the app on my phone and later went back in, I went back into the original room and queue I was playing music from.

NOW. When I go back in, I'm presented with the last room and queue that was accessed LAST by any controller on the network.

The queues also get mixed up so that now my Romo A has inherited the queue from Room B and vice versa. Finally getting the controller to switch to a different room is bloody impossible and rarely works without going in and selecting and deselecting multiple rooms until the controller gets it right. During all of this, rooms mysteriously disappear and then reappear.

Seriously the worst upgrade of all time. Back to 7.4 :@

Not my experience.
Badge
I have 14 Sonos speakers around my house which were in constant use by all 4 members of the household. Since the update to v8, the usage has dropped to practically zero - the teenager in the house who used to be on Sonos 18 hours a day now solely uses headphones plugged into her iPhone. 100% of us don't like the new user interface on IOS. I dislike it so badly that I don't use the app from my phone at all anymore, it is totally counter intuitive and much slower and harder to use than earlier versions. If the next round of updates don't bring back some improvements in the iPhone app user interface, my Sonos system will be going on ebay.
Userlevel 1
I purposely created an account in order to voice my opinion that the new interface on 8.2.1 is a huge step backwards.
Userlevel 2
I couldn't agree with the feedback in this thread more! As an IT professional, a huge Sonos advocate and a trained UI practitioner, I've been aghast at the latest application update. I mindlessly and trustingly allow the upgrade to my Andriod device as did several members of my family. We've all been super happy with Sonos in the past particularly based on the user experience and ease of use. I've given Play 3 systems several times as gifts and raved about it to others.

I'm now super frustrated by the counter-intuitive UI and my inability to find basic functions in the app. My family has dramatically reduced the use of our Sonos systems (we have two, one at home (5 units) and one in our vacation home (3 units). I've suspended any thought of further investment in Sonos gear until this gets addressed.

To call this a step backwards would be a compliment in comparison to the actual situation. This upgrade is a complete fail! The gap between Sonos and the competition has closed considerably if not completely based on this. The technology is still stellar, but it's a complete shame to see it so severely diluted based on a horrible user experience. Please, please, please, get some UX engineers on staff and revert back to your old style UI. It was best in class, now it's awful, full stop!

Signed a disappointed Sonos owner and former advocate....
Worst software in history. An embarrassing mess. We can no longer get the system to work simply. My wife hates it too
Go back to the older menu right before this last one. This one is aweful!!!!! Seriously sonos I have spent a good amount of money on your products and this last update is rediculous!!! And I’m a tech guy!!! Whoever passed this through the gates should be examined not the rest of us sonos users!!!
Userlevel 2
Badge
I received an updated request a few weeks back which I could not find a work around for. It basically forced me to update including register all my SONOS devices. This update has been nothing but a disaster. Now, iPhone can only access my Sonos net approx 50% of the time. To remedy, I am forced to reboot my wireless in order to overcome the problem which is not a practical solution when your wireless is also your business/work access. In addition to this, the user interface is downright atrocious. The previous version was very intuitive and user friendly. Now its a pain in the a$$ to do much of anything. Thank God Sonos has not forced an update for my computer app. The computer app is rock solid. Note: I have 9 separate rooms running a total of 11 SONOS devices. Never a problem prior to the recent update. Now its all a frustrating waste of time and money. How do I go back to the previous version?
Userlevel 2
Badge
As I type this I was forced to use my computer app to access my Sons, a result of my iPhone Sonos app stuck in a partially open state. My phone knows Sonos is operating as I get the screen from time to time displaying what song is playing. But if I try to open the app, it will not open. After using Iphone's App forced closure function, I am now able to reopen the Sonos app and access my sonos system. What a pain in the a$$. Please fix this horrible app.......!!!
Ditto. Please Please Please go back to the old app. Multiple issues from ability to select Pandora account (which may be a Pandora issue) to a completely counter intuitive process in total. Too much money spent to live with a horrible app. Had the system for almost 4 years with no issue. Created an account now just to provide feedback. Too many to list ... but appears as if many others have pointed most of them out already.
Userlevel 1
Please Sonos. Listen to what we are saying. This is one of the worst apps I've ever seen. There is nothing intuitive about it. This is an example of what you get when you allow programmers to design an app without the aesthetics, form factor or user experience. I detest this thing and will not purchase another component until it's improved.
Come on now Sonos. It’s time this got sorted. You are not bigger than your customers. You’ve had a month already.
Userlevel 1
I am annoyed and my wife is down right livid!
Thanks Sonos!
I totally agree with the others. The only reason I signed up for the community is to express my frustration with the app update. Please hire a graphic designer that’s not afflicted with this ridiculous minimalism trend. Totally unintuitive, confusing, stressful to use. Please Sonos, Puleeez change the app. Having the same font, size and weight for the room name and the track/title is confusing. There’s no visual hierarchy. Please change back
Userlevel 1
Yes, i have to agree. not enjoying the new version at all. i thought maybe once i used it for a while......but no, really difficult to navigate and dont like the look either.
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
Just piling on. Long time Sonos user and this is THE worst controller layout I think I've ever used. While I HAVE gotten used to it and I can get around just fine it is seriously the most unintuitive layout possible.

Probably the worst offender to the whole thing is how the menu bar on the bottom disappears on you. At a bare minimum this should be displayed at all times.
Userlevel 1
Remember the days that you could easily switch rooms in the app? How I long for those. There is some async issue when changing rooms. The UI suggests that it is changing rooms, however, it will constantly revert back to the room it was on when I started down the road of changing rooms. Please patch this. The app used to be amazing when it came to managing all of the music in my house, and having four different zones makes this feature a must have for me.