Please go back to the last app, the update sucks SO bad!

Userlevel 5
Badge
Is there any way to revert back to the last app before the recent update? This latest update is just plain stupid.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

397 replies

Totally agree, switching between rooms is terrible now and lay-out is confusing and huge step back in user-friendliness compared to earlier versions of the app.
First time I've needed to visit this forum having owned Sonos for a few years now. Just wanted to vent off. Hate this new app. Loved my Sonos before but this has just ruined it, not intuitive at all. I want the product I bought back. This app is broken. Now when I go to select a song from my NAS it plays the one above, without fail. If I want to select a track, I have to select the one below. Awesome.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Agree! I want the old app. This is pure trash!!!

So when you switch zones, the queue remains??? WTF? I use the living room zone with songs in the queue, move to the bedroom, pull up that zone and it's the same queue as living room? Why doesn't it show what was last played in the bedroom like before???

Stupid! Really stupid!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Agree! I want the old app. This is pure trash!!!

So when you switch zones, the queue remains??? WTF? I use the living room zone with songs in the queue, move to the bedroom, pull up that zone and it's the same queue as living room? Why doesn't it show what was last played in the bedroom like before???

Stupid! Really stupid!

You’re using the quick grouping function on the Now Playing screen, instead of selecting the room you want using the Rooms tab. It’s very easy once you figure it out.
Had Sonos for over 5 years with speakers in pretty much every room... loved the sound and simplicity - the latter one is gone now to the point that I don't want to use it anymore. Playing Song A in Room 1 and then switching to Room 2 to play Song B used to be easy and intuitive. Now it either starts playing the same song (A) in both rooms, stops playing altogether or (in most cases) doesn't even let me switch to Room 2... I unselect Room 1, select Room 2, hit "Done" and it stays at Room 1... no matter what I do.
Not sure what you guys are doing there, and I know there was some exec shuffle going on - but this is not working!
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
You’re using the quick grouping function on the Now Playing screen, instead of selecting the room you want using the Rooms tab. It’s very easy once you figure it out.

Even without all the confusion and frustration around the topic,reducing quick selection and grouping to quick grouping was a bad idea. Selection is now everything but quick and easy, without there being a benefit.

And the same goes for most other changes with the new design. They have obvious disadvantages while the benefits are missing in action.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Even without all the confusion and frustration around the topic,reducing quick selection and grouping to quick grouping was a bad idea. Selection is now everything but quick and easy, without there being a benefit.

And the same goes for most other changes with the new design. They have obvious disadvantages while the benefits are missing in action.

One benefit: searching, browsing and My Sonos are now separated, so they can be done in parallel without mutual interference. I use this all the time now, switching between them as required.

Sonos needs to make the bottom tab bar permanently available, better differentiate the quick grouping control, and make some of the screen layouts more compact. That’s it.

Honestly, though, I don’t expect anyone on this thread to appreciate me pointing out the benefits. Minds are already made up.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
The room selection is just not working. When changing room it is not possible to deselect the old room before selecting the new. You first have to select the new+old and save. Then deselect the old and save. Are they complete morons at Sonos? Agreed- the new app is not a step forward. I use two android-based devices as my primary controllers (a Galaxy S7 and a Fire HD8) and cannot get the room selection to work properly or consistently: you can select the room you want and then hit done and it doesn't switch. Try again and again and again and maybe it will finally work. One of the most basic functions of the system- selecting a room to control- is suddenly wonky when previously it was rock-solid. Disappointed to say the least.
Once again, people are mistaking the Quick Grouping (the red room name at the bottom of the Now playing screen) function with Room Selection (which is accomplished by choosing 'Rooms" from the tab bar and double tapping on the room you wish to select).
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Once again, people are mistaking the Quick Grouping (the red room name at the bottom of the Now playing screen) function with Room Selection (which is accomplished by choosing 'Rooms" from the tab bar and double tapping on the room you wish to select).

Note that single tap is enough to select the room (on iOS anyway). Double tap takes you directly to the Now Playing screen for the room.

Note that single tap is enough to select the room (on iOS anyway). Double tap takes you directly to the Now Playing screen for the room.

I know. Just trying to get them to a familiar screen as fast as possible. 😉
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Once again, people are mistaking the Quick Grouping (the red room name at the bottom of the Now playing screen) function with Room Selection (which is accomplished by choosing 'Rooms" from the tab bar and double tapping on the room you wish to select).jgatie- is your reply in response to mine? If so, I can assure you that I am using the Rooms button on the tab bar.
jgatie- is your reply in response to mine? If so, I can assure you that I am using the Rooms button on the tab bar.

You can't be. You stated "you can select the room you want and then hit done and it doesn't switch". There is no "Done" to hit when switching rooms via the Rooms tab. Tap the Rooms tab, tap the room you wish to select once and the room name changes at the bottom of the screen. Double tap the room and the room extends to full screen. The only "Done" to tap is in the grouping screen, so you are either doing the Quick Grouping by tapping the red room name at the bottom of the Now Playing screen, or you are tapping 'Group" on the Rooms screen instead of just tapping the room. Either way, that is grouping, not room selection.
Please revert back to the latest release! Sonos is now broken, user experience is annoying, and the system's status and control is flaky at best. The product has gone from a great one to the worst one in the market today. Please take this bit of advice from a humble software developer and revert back to the last commit from the previous release and go on from there.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
jgatie- is your reply in response to mine? If so, I can assure you that I am using the Rooms button on the tab bar.

You can't be. You stated "you can select the room you want and then hit done and it doesn't switch". There is no "Done" to hit when switching rooms via the Rooms tab. Tap the Rooms tab, tap the room you wish to select once and the room name changes at the bottom of the screen. Double tap the room and the room extends to full screen. The only "Done" to tap is in the grouping screen, so you are either doing the Quick Grouping by tapping the red room name at the bottom of the Now Playing screen, or you are hitting 'Group" on the Rooms screen. Either way, that is grouping, not room selection.
Then I am in error. I am at the office and can't check for sure, but can I keep complaining anyway? 🙂
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
[quote=doctorhifi][quote=jgatie]jgatie- is your reply in response to mine? If so, I can assure you that I am using the Rooms button on the tab bar.

You can't be. You stated "you can select the room you want and then hit done and it doesn't switch". There is no "Done" to hit when switching rooms via the Rooms tab. Tap the Rooms tab, tap the room you wish to select once and the room name changes at the bottom of the screen. Double tap the room and the room extends to full screen. The only "Done" to tap is in the grouping screen, so you are either doing the Quick Grouping by tapping the red room name at the bottom of the Now Playing screen, or you are hitting 'Group" on the Rooms screen. Either way, that is grouping, not room selection.

You are right. I was pressing the red room name at the bottom of the Now Playing screen, which is the intuitive thing to do unless you know better.
You previously stated:

In fact, the description from the Sonos webpage seems to add to the confusion on this matter because from the photo above the description it is clear that it is showing what you refer to as Quick Grouping but seems to imply that this is the place to go to change rooms. When you call it Easy room control, it is ambiguous at best. they should have called it Easy room grouping control if that is what they were talking about.

Easy room control

Find, select and change what’s playing everywhere, all from one place. On the Now Playing screen we’ve added a Room Selection drawer. Simply tap the room name on the drawer to quickly move or change the music.
https://www.sonos.com/en-us/controller-app
I agree. The naming is misleading. Probably some marketing hack changed it. 😉
Where are the Thumbs up and down. I have stations that play songs I get tired of, or don't like or are inappropriate. I know I can hit the next song button, but the system did a great job of managing this for me . Now with version 8.2 that is gone. This is a very BAD UPDATE. PLEASE REVERT.
Userlevel 1
Like many posts ive read through, i created an account just for this. Been a very happy customer for 4 years, added speakers every year, pitched it to friends and family, largely based on ease of use and UI. Im comment #94 to this thread so not sure if any of this complaining/feedback actually works but very disappointed (understatement) in the new app obviously. Anyone know if enough complaints actually makes a difference? Id like to think they value long term customer feedback, but maybe not...
Switching rooms is now a complete mess. Please rid the company of the UI engineers and managers who thought this was a good idea and give us back a functional UI.
Switching rooms is now a complete mess. .
Swipe down the Now Playing screen. Tap the Rooms button. Double tap the room you want to control.
You are now back on the Now Playing screen with control of your chosen room.
I would not personally describe that as a complete mess, but you are entitled to your opinion.
Userlevel 2
Can a new app be made available that brings back the intuitive functionality? This one is so difficult to navigate. This is bad for business I would assume. Has Sonos made an official comment on this and their plan or not? I don’t want to have to jerry rig a solution back to older software. So what’s the plan?
Userlevel 2
One additional point - you should be able to access music menu from when you are in a room from the room view. Here you can’t. You have to go back to the rooms option view. Doesn’t make sense.
I am a software engineer so my personality wanted to spend time with the new app and try to learn it. I feel like I have given it an honest try and am very frustrated after several weeks. It is less intuitive. I have sent music to the wrong room more than once. Just a minute ago I switched to see what was playing in the kitchen. The app showed the wrong cover, wrong song selected, and also showed that there was nothing playing when there actually was (but a totally different album)!

I am sympathetic and can be very patient as they work out the bugs, but I don't like the new UI design at all.
Userlevel 1
Agree 100 percent. The new App is a huge step backward into confusion and over-complication. It's also ugly. It sucks. I couldn't dislike it more unless it came with a picture of Gary Linekar on the splash screen. One of the best things about Sonos was the simplicity of the App. Now that's gone I wish I'd invested £1000s in Bose or Panasonic speakers. Maybe they made the new App so rubbish to encourage us all to buy the new Alexa speakers so we didn't have to hurt our eyes and heads with the App? Am I ranting yet?