Please go back to the last app, the update sucks SO bad!

Userlevel 5
Badge
Is there any way to revert back to the last app before the recent update? This latest update is just plain stupid.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

397 replies

Totally agree. I want the old app back. Not intuitive at all.
It's really bad!!! I actually was showing people the old app as an example of a great user interface. There were so many things you could do in there and it was all easy. Now it's been a few weeks and I still can barely figure out how to do anything at least on the first try. You really should take a look at this and consider reverting. I don't understand why you would mess up something so good.
Userlevel 3
Badge
First PLEX, and now SONOS. Two REALLY great programs RUINED by unneeded interface changes. Whoever's idea it was to change from black to white NEEDS TO BE FIRED IMMEDIATELY!!! Apparently SONOS doesn't realize people use tablets and phones in darkish rooms and not only is white backgrounds hard on the eyes, but it looks TERRIBLE and stands out like a sore thumb.

I haven't even gotten into the UI dysfunction yet, I am so depressed that it looks so horrible in white. I leave SONOS running on my tablets 7/24 as controllers and now with all white, I am getting SCREEN IMAGE BURN-IN!!!! Thank you SONOS for damaging my tablets that, for years have been perfect with no burn-in using BLACK BACKGROUNDS.

I've tried rolling back to 7.4, but like another user a few posts up, cannot get past the "Check for Updates" screen. To those that have rolled back, how do you get past that screen? (Android tablet). Help please on getting past the Check for Updates.

My iPhone has updated and I don't think there is a way to roll back an iPhone so that device is screwed.
Userlevel 3
Its like we are being punished for owning Sonos with this new update please fix this make it basic again please
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
The new layout doesn't really make anything easier, but for me I keep losing speakers from the app. This didn't happen till this new version appeared. It is hugely frustrating. End up with a speaker playing and I can stop it. Leave it for a while and it reappears.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Help can't get past this screen after roll

back

This seems to be something to do with version 8.1

If you have 8.1 on the Sonos devices then it apparently wont let you run 7.4 as an Android controller even if you install it, and it forces you upgrade again with that screen that you posted. V8.0 did not do this.

I think this is absolutely despicable practice on the part of Sonos. It was bad enough having no simple option to keep using an older version and to refuse (temporarily) any unwanted and untested upgrades, but to remove even this option of reverting to a more desirable older version is just sour grapes on their part.

Sonos seem to be every bit as bad as Apple in their contempt for what the end user may or may not want.

I regret ever having gone the Sonos route and when my devices need replacing I will be looking elsewhere.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Even if all your versions are equal and you never update again, external changes will eventually cause music service support to drop off, such as what happened to folks frozen at version 4.x when the BBC changed codecs, Spotify changed APIs, or Sonos changed authentication security on AWS.

It would be easy enough to update codecs and apis and authentication security without changing the UI to any extent, if at all.
Even if all your versions are equal and you never update again, external changes will eventually cause music service support to drop off, such as what happened to folks frozen at version 4.x when the BBC changed codecs, Spotify changed APIs, or Sonos changed authentication security on AWS.

It would be easy enough to update codecs and apis and authentication security without changing the UI to any extent, if at all.

Except Apple doesn't allow you to maintain more than one app, you can only freeze old versions at the time they were released. Plus it is a logistical nightmare for Sonos. No way around it, if you run an old version, eventually it will cease working as services and security get updated.
Userlevel 1
The 8.0 version is horrible. I can no longer control the groupings nor are my rooms even showing up when the sonos speaker is playing music. I couldn’t even turn my system off tonight when the speakers playing were not even showing up in the app.
Separately my sonos favorites have been reverted to a list that was mine from months ago.

Terrible new interface. I’m trying to revert back to the one that worked.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Is there any way to revert back to the last app before the recent update? This latest update is just plain stupid.

The same for me!

Why so poor?

Why white? Absurde!

Why the functions are so hidden?

Why it is not possible for Sonos to offer customizable skins/functions?
I have 4 Play1, 1 Play3, 1 Play5, 1 Playbar, 1 Sub, really a lot of money, why the controller is so poor???
Userlevel 3
Badge
Cross posted from another thread - I made the mistske of telling Google Store to update the Sonos app. Once the app updated it self and all my speakers were upgraded, I found the new UI to be terrible and not have dark backgrounds, among many other issues. I uninstalled the 8.0 app and found an apk mirror for Sonos 7.4, I reverted back to 7.4 for android to get the original, useful UI back that also has the wonderful dark backgrounds and a host of other things. No issues so far... :)

I would love a walk through on how to get my whole system back to a previous version. I have several controllers including Win/ MAC laptops and Android phones. I so desperately want to get back away from this 8.1 thing that took out my whole system. So frustrated that my system was held hostage until I updated all my controllers only to find there are no significant updates, just piles of deficiencies.

How do I get all my controllers back to a 7.x version? Can it be done?
Userlevel 1
Badge
We had company come a couple of months ago who had never seen a Sonos before. I handed him my iPhone with the Sonos app already opened and said play around with it and see what you think. He had it pretty much figured out in a few minutes. Same friend came yesterday and not used a Sonos since his last visit. The first thing out of his mouth was " What the hell happened!" Oh well.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
We had company come a couple of months ago who had never seen a Sonos before. I handed him my iPhone with the Sonos app already opened and said play around with it and see what you think. He had it pretty much figured out in a few minutes. Same friend came yesterday and not used a Sonos since his last visit. The first thing out of his mouth was " What the hell happened!" Oh well.

And what’s your take away from that?
Userlevel 6
Badge +1

And what’s your take away from that?

That the new version is absolutely fabulous, as our guests won't be able to sneakily play their own music on our systems? :8
First PLEX, and now SONOS. Two REALLY great programs RUINED by unneeded interface changes. Whoever's idea it was to change from black to white NEEDS TO BE FIRED IMMEDIATELY!!! Apparently SONOS doesn't realize people use tablets and phones in darkish rooms and not only is white backgrounds hard on the eyes, but it looks TERRIBLE and stands out like a sore thumb.

I haven't even gotten into the UI dysfunction yet, I am so depressed that it looks so horrible in white. I leave SONOS running on my tablets 7/24 as controllers and now with all white, I am getting SCREEN IMAGE BURN-IN!!!! Thank you SONOS for damaging my tablets that, for years have been perfect with no burn-in using BLACK BACKGROUNDS.

I've tried rolling back to 7.4, but like another user a few posts up, cannot get past the "Check for Updates" screen. To those that have rolled back, how do you get past that screen? (Android tablet). Help please on getting past the Check for Updates.

My iPhone has updated and I don't think there is a way to roll back an iPhone so that device is screwed.

I totally agree. The new version is ugly. WHY did they have to change the design? The PC app (and the original controller) still have the old classy design. Please give that back to us. It workded perfectly. No reason to change it.
Also it's not a bit intuitive. How could they ever approved this "update"?
Userlevel 1
The new upgrade is like moving from digital to an 8 track tape. There was clearly no beta test. Sonos has done so many things right but the next "right" thing to do is go back to the previous version or simplify the operation immediately. This is so painful I created a userid just to post my frustration.
Userlevel 2
The room selection is just not working. When changing room it is not possible to deselect the old room before selecting the new. You first have to select the new+old and save. Then deselect the old and save. Are they complete morons at Sonos?
Userlevel 3
Badge
I hate the new app. I look at it and I can't find anything I need. It takes several menu actions to change the music or locate your room, who knows where my favorites went... When a room is selected, there is no option to change the setting without going back. My kids can't figure it out either. We have to use the computer because the app is so bad. The menu on the bottom of the new application should never disappear when you select the room. I've been a customer 10+ years and go back to the CR100 controller so I have been around a while and welcomed all the upgrades but this one is total crap. I don't want to dig through my app looking for settings, I want to listen to music. The app is no longer simple or intuitive. ROLL IT BACK!!!
Userlevel 1
This update is the worst version ever! Why? Why? Can't you people just leave a working, intuitive, simple app alone?? I would love to go back to the original blue app from 5 years ago! That was the best version ever. PLEASE fix this! 😠
Userlevel 1
This app upgrade is the worst I’ve ever seen. I used to go around and tell people that Sonos made an app that is intuitive and has everything in place just how it should be. Now, I am telling everyone the exact opposite. Stay away. Sonja used to be great, now it SUCKS.

The people who were in charge of this upgrade should be fired and replaced. HORRIBLE. I read blogs all the time, but never write back. So for the first time I am doing it, because I cannot stand this app. Can’t believe people actually sat around a table and made the decision that it was a great improvement.

This is not about getting used to new app changes. I’ve been using for a while now and have confirmed my initial impression that this was the worst upgrade in history. Strong work SONOS!!

Please go back to the way it was.

#verydisappointed
Userlevel 1
One reason for loving Sonos, was the easy and intuitive app, that made music simple.

Now Im stuck with a wife and kid (and myself) that constantly asks for my help to doing something with the sonos Music. This upgrade made didnt just made my life of music two times worse, but 3 times 2 times worse, because Im handling music for 3 persons now.

Sonos will not be in this home in the future, if it doesnt stay intuitive.
Userlevel 1
One more vote for bringing the old app back.

I've been in software for 30 years and I understand that, sometimes, change is hard for users and they can get used to a new look and feel. That being said, I've been using this new app now for several weeks and it has not gotten any easier to use for me.

I'd be curious if Sonos has found that new users (those who have never seen a sonos app before) find this easier to use. If that's true, then I *guess* I understand the change.

However, I bet that the real issues is that no one did adequate user testing on this app. Current app on android is really poor and needs major work.
I registered for the forums for the first time after owing a sonos system for over eight years to add to this. The new UI is terrible for all of the reasons previously listed. I just don't get that someone thought this was a good idea.
I fell in love with the Sonos product about five years ago when I purchased my first Play 5. Everything worked great. Now they put out this new app update that has destroyed everything great about Sonos! The glitches in the app do not allow me to play different audios to different speakers. In addition, It takes multiple attempts to change what I am playing to the speaker before it actually works. I am extremely frustrated with the lack of testing by Sonos before releasing this app update. I want the old app back!!!
I fell in love with the Sonos product about five years ago when I purchased my first Play 5. Everything worked great. Now they put out this new app update that has destroyed everything great about Sonos! The glitches in the app do not allow me to play different audios to different speakers. In addition, It takes multiple attempts to change what I am playing to the speaker before it actually works. I am extremely frustrated with the lack of testing by Sonos before releasing this app update. I want the old app back!!!Please try this. Please just try. Let's say you have two rooms and you want to put a track from your music library on in the Kitchen, and you want to search for a particular artist to put on in the Living Room. Substitute your room names obviously.

1. If you are on the Now Playing screen you will need to swipe down the screen. If not, the tab bar should already be visible at the bottom of the screen.
2. If Kitchen (K) or Living Room (LR) is already the highlighted room, go with it. If not, tap either K or LR. Let's assume we have Kitchen highlighted.
3. Tap Browse on the tab bar, and then Music Library, and then just do what you have always done - i.e. find the song and tap to play it.
4. Tap the Rooms button
5. Tap LR once to highlight it
6. Tap Search and then search for what you want just as you have always done. Tap to play your choice.

Does that help?