Please go back to the last app, the update sucks SO bad!

Userlevel 5
Badge
Is there any way to revert back to the last app before the recent update? This latest update is just plain stupid.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

397 replies

Userlevel 3
I totally agree
Userlevel 4
Badge
Cross posted from another thread - I made the mistske of telling Google Store to update the Sonos app. Once the app updated it self and all my speakers were upgraded, I found the new UI to be terrible and not have dark backgrounds, among many other issues. I uninstalled the 8.0 app and found an apk mirror for Sonos 7.4, I reverted back to 7.4 for android to get the original, useful UI back that also has the wonderful dark backgrounds and a host of other things. No issues so far... 🙂
Userlevel 4
I like the new app. It's easier to navigate.
Userlevel 1
My system no longer works. All of my controllers keep insisting that I upgrade, but every upgrade installation fails. So now I have a dead 9-room system. THANK YOU MORON SONOS PRODUCT MANAGER! How do I get out of this brain-dead beta program?
Userlevel 3
New app a huge step backwards, roll it back. Very poor control and poorly thought out
Userlevel 4
Hi guys, the new app update is really non-intuitive. I don’t know where to start... Navigation is awful. Simply trying to change volume in different rooms and muting some speakers is... well I’m not sure how. If I’m having trouble, no doubt many or most users are. Hope you put it right.
Userlevel 3
I also agree! Selecting which device you want to control sucks now!
Userlevel 3
Totally agree. I want the old app back. Not intuitive at all.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Plus 1 for the old app. I very much dislike the new one.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
I uninstalled the 8.0 app and found an apk mirror for Sonos 7.4, I reverted back to 7.4 for android to get the original, useful UI back that also has the wonderful dark backgrounds and a host of other things. No issues so far... :)

How did you do that exactly?
Userlevel 3
I’m baffled by the latest update. Sonos UI is its biggest obstacle to adoption in my opinion. It’s incredible how often I’ve had to teach people how to navigate their UI but in general once people get the hang of it they like it. Now I’m wondering how in the hell im supposed to relearn a UI that literally seems to have been created to do nothing better but merely different. It’s surreal.
Userlevel 2
I uninstalled the 8.0 app and found an apk mirror for Sonos 7.4, I reverted back to 7.4 for android to get the origina...No issues so far... :)

Did this and it worked - so happy to get the old app back. The new one has just about the worst UX/UI I've encountered.
Userlevel 2
I uninstalled the 8.0 app and found an apk mirror for Sonos 7.4, I reverted back to 7.4 for android

How did you do that exactly?

1. Delete 8.0 version app

2. Download the APK from site like:
https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/sonos-inc/sonos/sonos-7-4-release/sonos-controller-for-android-7-4-android-apk-download/

2.5 If downloaded on computer transfer APK to phone with memory card, email, Drive, or Dropbox

3. Install APK
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
I can confirm that the above procedure works fine.

V7.4 installed: sanity restored. 😃
Userlevel 1
can we revert back on ios for iPad?
If you are downloading the old APK, you should note that when your controller app is not the same version as your hardware, you will lose much of the Settings menu. This includes adding/editing Sonos devices, music service management, and adding or updating your music library, Even if all your versions are equal and you never update again, external changes will eventually cause music service support to drop off, such as what happened to folks frozen at version 4.x when the BBC changed codecs, Spotify changed APIs, or Sonos changed authentication security on AWS. Also, if you are frozen at a previous version, even if the version numbers match across the software and hardware, there is no way you can add any new Sonos units to your system without upgrading.

So one may want to assess if losing these functions (and eventually rendering the controller useless) is worth reverting back to an older version of the app. It may just be the case that ripping the band-aid off now is better than later, but that is up to the individual.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I also agree! Selecting which device you want to control sucks now!

Just go to 'rooms' where you'll see all your devices. Stick with it...
Userlevel 1
Badge
My system no longer works. All of my controllers keep insisting that I upgrade, but every upgrade installation fails. So now I have a dead 9-room system. THANK YOU MORON SONOS PRODUCT MANAGER! How do I get out of this brain-dead beta program?

Harsh... I'm sure if you call them up they will sort you out.

Actually, I'm not sure being called a moron or having your product called brain-dead would hasten anyone's effort to sort them out. Been in software and support for 30 years, and support calls like that get put in what we call the "sick fish tank". 😉
Userlevel 1
Badge

Actually, I'm not sure being called a moron or having your product called brain-dead would hasten anyone's effort to sort them out. Been in software and support for 30 years, and support calls like that get put in what we call the "sick fish tank". ;)

Me too - damn right!
It's easier to post harsh words on with the relative anonymity of a board, much harder to do so when on the phone with someone, although I've certainly been on the receiving end of the occasional rant. And yes, I've always been much more interested in helping those who aren't yelling at me than those who feel that it's their right to yell at me. I think that's human nature.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
If you are downloading the old APK, you should note that when your controller app is not the same version as your hardware, you will lose much of the Settings menu. This includes adding/editing Sonos devices, music service management, and adding or updating your music library, Even if all your versions are equal and you never update again, external changes will eventually cause music service support to drop off, such as what happened to folks frozen at version 4.x when the BBC changed codecs, Spotify changed APIs, or Sonos changed authentication security on AWS. Also, if you are frozen at a previous version, even if the version numbers match across the software and hardware, there is no way you can add any new Sonos units to your system without upgrading.

So one may want to assess if losing these functions (and eventually rendering the controller useless) is worth reverting back to an older version of the app. It may just be the case that ripping the band-aid off now is better than later, but that is up to the individual.

At the very worst one can just "upgrade" to V8 if any of the above causes a problem and, having done whatever is needed, reinstall the V7.4 version. And presumably all the settings/features etc. you mention would still be available from an up-to-date controller on, say, a PC without having to alter the one on a phone. Though in fact I cant remember when I last added a Sonos device or altered my music library settings or other music service settings. It must be at least one year ago and maybe two.

All I care about on a day-to-day basis is not having that appalling white screen on my phone and being able to navigate easily to/from my music folders, and using functions like the sleep timer and volume control. V7.4 covers all these requirements.
Cross posted from another thread - I made the mistske of telling Google Store to update the Sonos app. Once the app updated it self and all my speakers were upgraded, I found the new UI to be terrible and not have dark backgrounds, among many other issues. I uninstalled the 8.0 app and found an apk mirror for Sonos 7.4, I reverted back to 7.4 for android to get the original, useful UI back that also has the wonderful dark backgrounds and a host of other things. No issues so far... :) I can find dark backgrounds in the new app but that's about it. It's horrible
Badge +3
I can only see the ‘next’ track in the playlist - how do I see them all as in v7.4?

Meh - reverted on my Android phone and I can now use the interface. I can honestly say that if the current interface was what it looked like when I first came to buy my first component, I would not have bought it. I swear I even saw red text on a white background for which room I wanted.