Please add an option to adjust the fade-in and fade-out time for alarms and sleep

• 13 September 2012
  • 32 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Please allow for the volume slowly increase for alarms and decrease it for sleep mode. The feature I envision would be an option for alarms and sleep which takes a fade-in or fade-out time. A default time of 5 minutes is reasonable. When enabled the alarm will start at just above 0 volume and gradually increase to the volume configured for the alarm over the configured fade-in time. Likewise, once the sleep timer reaches the fade-out time remaining the volume will gradually decrease to zero over the configured fade-out time.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

32 replies

Userlevel 1
I’ve had my Sonos One set up for 20 mins and I’m already looking for this feature.
Please please.

Thanks! :D

Sonos doesn't have any interest in making this feature a reality. This request has been open for six years and would probably take less than a day to implement. I've sent more than one message to their CEO to ask for it and I submit it for the product development team every time I am invited to a beta. https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/long-awaited-alarm-features-in-8-2-is-progressive-volume-configuration-still-missing-after-years-of-repeated-requests-6794331 is another thread regarding the same content. There are other threads on this forum making the same request - including some from users who registered only for this purpose.
I’ve had my Sonos One set up for 20 mins and I’m already looking for this feature.
Please please.

Thanks! 😃
Hi, we use SONOS at work. Alarms are used to indicate tea-time at the quintessential British countryside environment in which we work. Obviously we want Rage Against the Machine to crank at full volume the very moment tea is poured. As such, we would love to have the option to turn the fade OFF. Really looking forward to this feature implementation. Thank you SONOS.
Going to sleep with soft music in the background is stops my brain spinning around. Because it is soft in the background, a fade out of 15 sec still sounds like the music is cut off, which wakes me up again.

I would like an option to configure the fade out time on the sleep timer.

Thank you.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Add this feature. Option to gradual fade in and fade out on sleep and alarms.
This would be a great improvement. Please add this function to the alarm and also to the sleep timer.
Came to the forums to make the same suggestion.

I see that I am not alone. Please add my voice to the chorus. We need a custom timer, or, at the least, a longer fade in (say over two minutes).
C'mon, this would be an great improvement in combination with Hue to wake up better!
So do I: since the first day I bought my Sonos system... please!! Years are passing by! Is there a problem with adding this so useful feature?
I want this too.
In agreement with all would like a fade in option on the alarm.. Although even 1% volume on the alarm setting is going to wake me with a shock
Userlevel 2
Ditto timothyb. When will this feature be added...? Or at least make sleep fade longer than 15 seconds and audible fade at low volumes. It sounds like it just shuts off like @camillo777 said. Come on Sonos!
Userlevel 1
Unbelievable that this simple feature, probably less than a day of coding, is still not here on "the first name in wireless home audio".
Come on Sonos! 3 years to add user configurable fade in/out timer?
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Hi
Any news?
Years are passing by...
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
At minimum volume level in a silent environment the sleep fade out just cut abruptly the music. We need more graceful steps!
I just bought a sonos system and i love beeing able to set an alarm on it. But to my i am missing the ability to customize the fade-in. I want to adjust start volume, target value and duration to meet that volume.

I cant understand how this feature have been missing for so long seeing this post created over 3 years ago. Is this a lost cause? i hope not.
The current fade in/out is so abrupt that if. I did not read about15 seconds here I would have thought it was less than 5 seconds. Would be great to have longer options
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
I noticed that the fade out and fade in step is fixed. This means that if your volume is low (like 5%) the fadeout will kill the music and not fade gracefully. I am a developer and the algorithm of a correct fading should take care of this. Steps should be calculated dynamically. Let's say the fade time is 15 seconds, Sonos should take current volume and divide by 15 seconds to find the correct value of volume percentage to remove every second to go to zero. Today I use Sonos to sleep and a graceful fade out will improve my sleep. Then talking about features 15 seconds is too fast, I need to be able to set to something like 15 minutes. Make it configurable please. Also sleep time should be configurable: I want to have the possibility to set 1 minute, 10 minutes, 20 minutes... Thank you
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Yes,
15 seconds is a little bit short; custom fadein and fadeout time would be really nice to have.
Camillo
Add me to the list.  I have been searching unsuccessfully for quality sounding alarm with a "progressive" volume increase.  If Sonos could incorporate this feature, that alone would be reason enough for me to get another Sonos component and place it in my bedroom as my "clock radio".  Thank you!
Userlevel 1
+1 here! Would be really nice and I could put the money for a good alarm clock aside for a half Play:1 😉
This would be great to use with a Philips Wake Up light, not only for waking up, but also to fall asleep. So the same question for the timer. I use nature recordings on Spotify to wake me up, forest sounds work great.
This would be great to use with a Philips Wake Up light, not only for waking up, but also to fall asleep. So the same question for the timer. I use nature recordings on Spotify to wake me up, forest sounds work great.
Userlevel 5
Badge +9
I would love to have an adjustment of the Fade-In time as mentioned above!

Love my Sonos System!!!