Playlists and favourites - I just don’t get it

• 17 February 2018
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1
So I have looked around but didn’t find the answer anywhere...
When I save a playlist as a favourite (because I want to select it with the Xpress remote that I got as a replacement for my CR100) the same playlist now shows up TWICE under “My Sonos” in the iOS app. I can delete the favourite, then the original playlist stays on there. If I delete the “real” playlist, both entries disappear...

I am sure this is not how this is supposed to work, as all my favourite playlists are showing up two times on the My Sonos screen.

I have looked but have not found any way to switch the iOS app to just showing favourites or only playlists on the My Sonos screen.

Am I doing something wrong?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

I don't think so. Sonos screwed this up terribly in the changes made at versions 8.0 and 8.2, leaving an inconsistent and illogical mess IMO.

The Playlists section now contains all Sonos playlists (which makes saving them to My Sonos pointless at best, and confusing at worst.) It also contains favourites of other types of playlists, such as Spotify playlists that you have saved to My Sonos.

I have suggested that it would be better if Sonos Playlists were treated as a source, and so appeared on the Browse list. Then My Sonos could revert to being just favourites, including a section for favourite playlists.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
The Playlists section now contains all Sonos playlists (which makes saving them to My Sonos pointless at best, and confusing at worst.) It also contains favourites of other types of playlists, such as Spotify playlists that you have saved to My Sonos.

The point of marking a Sonos Playlist as a "favourite" is for quick navigation to them (the entire point of favourites). Especially if you use the desktop app instead of / as well as the mobile app. "My Sonos" on mobile is two different-but-related concepts:
1. Favourites ie. flagged items. Hence the "Add to My Sonos" options.
2. A dashboard screen that lists a number of things, including "favourites/My Sonos items" (sorted by category) and ALL Sonos playlists, hence the editing confusion over what "delete" does.

Yes, it's poor design, especially when you look at Sonos as a series of products/applications that are meant to "just work". But you can always play safe and just browse, like we used to do in the pre-favourites days.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Just got confused by this all over again. I rarely use Sonos playlists as anything other than temporary collection, but I also rarely clean them up. I do however have a few "favourite" playlists, mostly for-convenience double-album collections. Went looking for one today and it was lost in the "My Sonos->Playlists" drawer of "things you favourited and things you didn't". Very annoying. But I guess there are workarounds (desktop app, browsing navigation journey instead, deleting all non-essential playlists because Sonos considers them "honorary favourites").
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
...and it's still broken in new 8.4 release. A "favourite" Sonos playlist is shown on the "My Sonos" screen
1. zero times in any of the actual "favourite by category" sections
2. Twice in the big "Playlists" section, presumably once for being "a playlist you created" and once for being "a favourite thing"

Desktop app keeps it simple with a single list of the things you flagged as a "favourite".