Question

Playlist storage in cloud?

• 7 November 2017
  • 8 replies

Badge
I recently moved... upon resetting up Sonos I had to reset the devices - my wifi/networking setup changed significantly... thus, I lost my playlists/favorites in Sonos...

Shouldn't there be a way that the favorites and playlists saved in Sonos be stored with some sort of resilience, or linked to my account instead of to the device registration so they aren't lost if the devices are reset? Am I missing something and this is already being done?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

I don't think you lost your favorites and such because you changed the networking setup, but because you reset your devices. It's been a while since I changed my network, but I don't recall having to do a reset.

As far as Sonos storing all this stuff in the cloud, it's not really necessary. As I stated above, don't think you needed to reset your devices. As well, one of Sonos selling points is that it doesn't really require an internet connection to work, since it can operate with just your local library. I can see where it would be nice to have a backup for situations like yours, but it should be rather rare.

All that said, Sonos does have a cloud now, needed for integrating with Alexa and potentially others. It's entirely feasable that your favorites and other settings, maybe an index of your local library, is replicated in the cloud in order to facilitate voice control features.
Badge
I know that resetting is what lost my lists, but I needed to reset the devices - my networking devices all changed. My old networking gear was damaged during the move and was replaced with different/up to date equipment... I couldn't get the devices online to the new wifi network without resetting...

It could be an option that one could enable "save Sonos Favorites & playlists to cloud" or something... I'm not concerned with my local library - my playlists are safe and sound there - but the ones I've created in Sonos... I'm setting them back up manually now, but an option to save them someplace else would have been nice to have...
I agree that an optional backup to the cloud feature would be nice. I wouldn't think it'd be too difficult, as I'm pretty sure your settings are replicated whenever you add a new device to your setup already. This wouldn't be too different...I think.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
A hard reset is not required just because you changed your networking devices. You may have had difficulties in setting up the system in your new system but it is very rare that a device needs to be factory reset, let alone ALL devices.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
Cloud backup (or at least some way of allowing users to backup their playlists) is way overdue in my opinion. It's farcical that you can't do it in this day and age.
Having said that, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have needed to do the factory reset to connect to a new network. Worse case you could have worked with Sonos to get up and running and entering new network details. Sadly I meant worse case because the support and response times over the last year or so are pretty unforgivable.
Badge
A hard reset is not required just because you changed your networking devices. You may have had difficulties in setting up the system in your new system but it is very rare that a device needs to be factory reset, let alone ALL devices.

Well, now I know... the Wifi name changed, too... so, I wasn't sure how to get them to start working without a reset. Guess I should have RTFM.
Maybe not for you, but I don't use favorites much. I use Amazon music and setup playlists there. Not only is it essentially backed up in the cloud, but the same playlists are avaiable to me everywhere.
Badge
Maybe not for you, but I don't use favorites much. I use Amazon music and setup playlists there. Not only is it essentially backed up in the cloud, but the same playlists are avaiable to me everywhere.

Oh, I use the playlists there too, as well as in my other subscriptions, but I had some setup for my Sonos use too...