Answered

Playlist resume after selecting other source

• 21 February 2021
  • 5 replies

I have large playlists of tracks stored on a NAS. While SONOS is playing my imported playlists well, I am not able to resume playing after I have selected another source and SONOS restarts playing the list from the beginning. I have noticed that this is a feature many of other owners would welcome. However, all related posts have been closed for comments. Hopefully this is a sign that the SONOS engineers have got the message and very soon will satisfy its customers by offering a sustainable solution. I keep my fingers crossed.

icon

Best answer by Corry P 22 February 2021, 14:19

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @el rubio 

Thanks for your post.

When you play from another source, you are effectively replacing the speaker’s play queue. This means that the speaker has forgotten what was playing before and it cannot resume a playlist from a previous position. I suspect that with a large playlist, and with other sources occasionally being played, you’ve heard the tracks at the start of the playlist a lot more than the tracks at the end of it. I would recommend you play the playlist in shuffle mode to hear a greater variation of tracks.

I will pass your comments on to our development team, however. Related posts on this topic have probably been closed due to them not being replied to anymore.

@Corry P thanks for your prompt feedback. I have tried the shuffle option but it repeats the same tracks. Maybe creating a ‘virtual’ source could help to keep the pointer in the queue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @el rubio 

I think I may have found a workaround for you.

Say you have your large playlist playing in “Lounge". If you then want to play Airplay, for example, play it to another room - let’s say it’s called “Kitchen" - and group Lounge in with Kitchen (don’t group Kitchen to Lounge). If you don’t want Kitchen playing at the same time, just mute it.

When you finish Spotify or Airplay, ungroup Lounge from Kitchen again, you will find that Lounge has it’s original queue again - your playlist. It will retain the playback position too. Just press play in the app or on the speaker and your playlist will resume. This should work regardless of the second source played in Kitchen.

Remember to turn up volume on Kitchen if you muted it.

Thanks for the workaround. The drawback is that “Lounge” must be dedicated to the playlist and if someones decides to select another source for “Lounge” the pointer is lost. That is why I was suggesting to create a “virtual” room (i.e. without any SONOS device attached). I am looking forward to your engineer’s bright ideas :wink:

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @el rubio 

That is a bit of a drawback, yes. I see what you mean about a virtual room - if that had the queue, it would never need to be replaced. I doubt this would ever be implemented, as it’s likely to cause more problems than it fixes, but perhaps the ability to preserve a queue position will come in time.