Question

playing partial songs then skipping to the next

• 30 November 2017
  • 15 replies

I recently got a new iPhone 8. Now my Sonos system frequently “skips” a song or stops midway through a song and goes to the next one. It never did that before. I have updated to the newest Sonos software as well. This only happens when playing from my playlist. Suggestions?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hello there, shoot802. Does this happen with a specific music service or does this happen regardless of the music source you are listening to?
ONLY music played from MY playlist on my iPhone. Pandora plays fine.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Understood. If it only happens with music that is stored on your phone that leads me to believe it is something between your phone (the source of the file) and the network. Could you tell us a little more about your local network? Have any extenders or access points? Do you have any Sonos devices plugged into the main router via Ethernet?

Thanks in advance.
This same issue has happened with my Sonos ever since i’ve owned it. got a brand new router and still same issues. and i could be standing right next to my network with nothing else in my house using wifi and it still happens. and it’s totally intermittent.
Nothing is plugged into the main router. There is an extender. I can bypass it but end up with the same problem. This problem was non existent until I upgraded to the new Sonos software and got the iPhone 8. Before that, all was good.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
That is the sign of some ip conflicts happening. Give each Sonos unit new fixed up addresses in your router. Turn off Sonos units and any other WiFi devices can. Reboot router. Boot back up Sonos.
I just received four Sonos One units. Flawless setup. Great first impression, however, playing locally downloaded music from Music app doesn’t finish playing entire song under specific conditions.

I initiate playing a locally downloaded song via the Sonos controller app and let it go. If the screen on the iPhone remains on, there is NO skipping randomly to next song. If I initiate playing a song in the same way, but set the iPhone down and the screen is off, there IS random skipping. For example, the song will play for about a minute and then jump to the next. The time before jump can vary a bit.

As far as I can tell from testing, this appears to have nothing to do with wireless channels, IP conflicts, or network issues.

I have the latest Sonos app running on iPhone 8 Plus with iOS 11.2.

Music continues to play fine from locally downloaded files while I’ve been typing this (i.e. screen is on). One song after another.

This issue is possibly something to do with the Sonos app and the iPhone wanting to sleep or save power. Streaming via Amazon works fine with screen off. Amazon wins again.

Sonos Customer Support, are you able to reproduce this issue? I hope these details are helpful. Seems like this could be a pretty big issue for those of us with sizable music libraries downloaded to the device.

Thanks,
Richard
I've got exacly the same problem as Richard, with iPhone6 and my wife's iPad. Suspect a bug slipped in one of the latest SONOS updates?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Usually this is indication of the phone losing its WiFi signal.
@LVMA
@Chris

More info as I continue to test...

(FYI—I updated to iOS 11.2 yesterday on both devices.)

After setting each device to an Auto-Lock Display setting of “Never”, I changed the setting back to lock after a minute on the iPhone. Next, I thought I’d try powering off the device and then powered it back on. I know power cycling is no breakthrough suggestion, but listen to what happened next.

I went through two the same testing procedure and I CANNOT reproduce the song skipping issue again! So, good news! I wonder as a matter of habit an additional power off/on after and iOS update is advisable? Or, maybe toggling the Auto-Lock setting to “Never” and then back and then power cycling resolved the issue?

I’ll continue to monitor and see if it comes back, but for now this is a really great outcome! Perhaps this was an iOS update anomaly?
I just received four Sonos One units. Flawless setup. Great first impression, however, playing locally downloaded music from Music app doesn’t finish playing entire song under specific conditions.

I initiate playing a locally downloaded song via the Sonos controller app and let it go. If the screen on the iPhone remains on, there is NO skipping randomly to next song. If I initiate playing a song in the same way, but set the iPhone down and the screen is off, there IS random skipping. For example, the song will play for about a minute and then jump to the next. The time before jump can vary a bit.

As far as I can tell from testing, this appears to have nothing to do with wireless channels, IP conflicts, or network issues.

I have the latest Sonos app running on iPhone 8 Plus with iOS 11.2.

Music continues to play fine from locally downloaded files while I’ve been typing this (i.e. screen is on). One song after another.

This issue is possibly something to do with the Sonos app and the iPhone wanting to sleep or save power. Streaming via Amazon works fine with screen off. Amazon wins again.

Sonos Customer Support, are you able to reproduce this issue? I hope these details are helpful. Seems like this could be a pretty big issue for those of us with sizable music libraries downloaded to the device.

Thanks,
Richard

I have this exact problem. It definitely started sometime in the last month or so. I listen to a playlist on my iPhone every night and ever since transitioning to my iPhoneX the songs either stop playing altogether once I put my phone down / in sleep mode or skip tracks midway through.

No, it’s not a home network WiFi connectivity issue. It seems to have something to do with sleep mode on the iPhoneX.

Thanks,

Jen
I bought sonos play one last week, got the same issue. I am a tech guy myself, i tried all the solutions. I literally mean ALL, router replaced, channel configured and bla bla bla. I can’t find the problems, clueless. But i only found 1 solution, plug your sonos play one to LAN. The song will play smoothly without skipping, even though your iphone screen is lock. But the downside is wifi becomes useless. 😞 please solve this issue SONOS TEAM.
Sorry, the real problem is you can’t disable the lock screen controls in the IOS 11 sonos app setting. And it needs to show on lock screen when the phone is on lock mode. If not present on lock screen, the song will skip by itself. Please fix this sonos app to let us to disable to lock screen controls function, because of the background running and drain alot of battery when turn on.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Occasionally skipping part or whole songs is a known issue with Sonos, and I'm pretty sure every time it happens it's a network issue (with contacting local library, Spotify, etc). Where it becomes really annoying is trying to detect / troubleshoot, due to:
1. A Sonos design decision to "keep trying to play music whatever happens", so if track 3 can't be played, Sonos skips to track 4 and so on. Annoyingly, there appears to be no option to get Sonos to pause playback if this happens (not everyone "just wants to hear something, anything...").
2. Error logging is hit-and-miss. Sometimes you get an error, mostly you don't.

We can't expect Sonos to work around network issues, but better diagnostics would be nice.
Not helping....