Answered

playbar not working with apple airplay2

Hi guys , I recently bought sonos playbar for my lg tv. It connects perfectly with tv but when i trying to use or play music through airplay streaming i could not find my sonos playbar. So not able to listen music with apple airplay because its not showing my playbar . I think sonos playbar not supportapple airplay. Can you fix this issue . 

icon

Best answer by controlav 2 April 2020, 15:25

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

The Playbar is not Airplay compatible.   It was released a long time before Airplay 2 came out and doesn’t have the processing power - - rumor is a new one is coming mid-year.

The following Sonos speakers are compatible with AirPlay 2:

• Beam
  • Amp
  • Sonos One
  • Playbase
  • Play:5 (second generation)
  • SYMFONISK
  • Move
  • One SL
  • Port
Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Take the Playbar back while you can and get a Beam, which can do Airplay2. Or wait until the rumored new version.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I do agree with controlav

Thanks but i like the sound of playbar more then beam . Its has more cinematic sound compare to beam . What you think guys you do agree with my statement 😆. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I only own Playbars so cannot compare audio quality with the Beam, but I’m not sure what other solution you are looking for. Either keep it and get a cheap IKEA speaker to “add” AirPlay to your system, or take it back for a refund and wait for the rumored new device.

I have two Playbars and want to “add” Airplay so I can somehow stream from the internet through them. What is the cheapest way to do this as per the previous post’s suggestion please ? need more detail of this as I don’t understand how buying a “cheap IKEA speaker” can facilitate this. Thanks

Hi.  What do you want to ‘stream from the internet’ that you cannot do directly through the TV or the Playbar already?  Why do you need Airplay 2 for this?

One way to add Airplay 2 to the Playbar would be to buy an Airplay 2 compatible Sonos speaker and group it with the Playbar.  The cheapest option for that is the speakers Sonos makes for Ikea.

Thanks John B,,,,that explains the IKEA product reference. Specifically I would like to stream the BBC Sounds app which I don’t think there is otherwise any way to do via my Playbars ?

This may be of interest

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/help/questions/supported-devices/connected-tv#:~:text=In%202020%2C%20we're%20rolling,top%20boxes%20and%20streaming%20platforms.

That is indeed very interesting John B..many thanks. I’m actually isolating away from my usual home at the moment but as soon as I can check the model of my TVs to see if they are Sounds enabled I will. You may have solved my issue with BBC Sounds..….many thanks.

Even if your TVs aren't yet capable of playing BBC Sounds, you could probably find a means of casting from a mobile device to your TV.  Or it may find its way onto streaming devices - I see Now TV is on the list.

I just cast BBC Sounds to my TV from my phone using Chromecast 4K. 

You might find that a free Miracast app would work too.