Answered

PLAYBACK SPEED FUNCTIONALITY - Audible/Podcasts

Userlevel 2

PLEASE ADDRESS THIS!! It is painful to listen at 1.0 speed. Within audible, playback can be adjusted by tenths (1.1x, 1.2x, 1.3x, etc.) It’s incredible how long this has been a discussion rather than a product capability. We pay so much for these great products, but we need the functionality to be AT LEAST in line with the tech world. It would be great if Sonos was a leader with new functionality as a straggler

icon

Best answer by Anonymous 6 June 2020, 22:12

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

@Scotyd33 - ILTXMDILCA Thank you for reaching out to us here and welcome to the Sonos Community. We appreciate your feedback and will gladly pass your request along to our Sonos engineers for this feature. I would also recommend that you reach out to Amazon for Audible and let them know of this request as well.

Your answer implies that Amazon is controlling your ability to implement the playback speed functionality. However this does not explain or address the same question asked about podcasts. Please more specifically address both of these issues (Audible as well as all brands of podcasts). 

Since the data lives on someone else’s servers, I’d certainly think that it’s up to someone else to control how quickly the Sonos system plays it back. All Sonos does is point the software running on each speaker to a stream coming from someone else’s server. The compression of the data would be at the sending server’s side, not on the player’s side, I would think. 

It’s possible (I have never looked in to it) that Sonos would need to also implement that ability for control of multiple speeds into the API that they’ve published for others to use to control their streams. So, you’ve made the request here, which John G has said he’s going to pass on to the Sonos engineers for thought, and he has indicated you should be applying similarly to the folks at Audible, or any other streaming service you think may want to implement such a feature. Working the issue from both ends seems to make sense to me. 

If you start the book in the app at variable speed.  Then lock your phone.  Touch the screen once, to bring up the mini-audio controls.  From there, if you select Airplay and the Sonos speaker you want to use, the variable speed continues to play…...at least it did for me.  Good Luck.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

SMAPI contains no provision that I am aware of for variable speed playback. It does add some specific features for audiobooks (regarding save/restore mostly) but playback speed is not there. Audiobook SMAPI spec is https://developer.sonos.com/build/content-service-add-features/save-resume-playback/

If you start the book in the app at variable speed.  Then lock your phone.  Touch the screen once, to bring up the mini-audio controls.  From there, if you select Airplay and the Sonos speaker you want to use, the variable speed continues to play…...at least it did for me.  Good Luck.

Start the book in the audible app, at the speed you want to listen; the. Lock your phone and use the airplay button to send to your Sonos and take over whatever you were listening to. 

+1 on this request. 

Badge

Just started using Libby for Overdrive library books and noticed there’s now way to adjust the speed within Sonos. It can be done in their own app but it only plays on the phone. No way to transmit 

If you have an iPhone, and a Sonos AirPlay 2 capable speaker, you could use the Libby app to get around this. But I agree, it would be a good thing fro Sonos to add to their API, so all book streaming companies could use that feature.

+1

+1. This a must otherwise podcasts on sonos is obsolete