Play all Songs from Artist MISSING

• 14 September 2017
  • 16 replies

Userlevel 1
Sonos is missing a CRUCIAL feature that really lessens the quality of the Sonos experience.

By using the Sonos app on a smart phone, it is not possible to play all songs from an artist without manually going in and adding all the albums to the end of the playlist queue. This has been confirmed by a Sonos rep.

A huuuge lack and a loss that should be rectified ASAP.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

For local music library: Find artist, long press on artist entry, choose Play Now.

For music services: Find artist, long press on artist entry, choose More, Browse Artist. There will be an entry for All Artist Tracks.

Not sure if this works for all sevices, I use Amazon. I'm pretty sure it is up to the service to implement.
Userlevel 1
Thank you, jgatie. I should have specified that I am using Google Play music services.
Hi jgatie, tried you suggestion but it does not seem to work for me. I get as far as ‘browse artist’ but I just see the jndividual albums, no option to play all songs. Is this option still avaiable? I am using the Sonos app on a iPhone.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes it is. The first "Album" you see will be "All". Select this to play all of the same artist
Hi Stuart_W, thanks for your reply! Unfortunately, the 'all' album is not visible for me, not on any device (iPhone, iPad, MacBook). I just get a different overview of the albums, tiles instead of a list, but that's it.. But I think I figured it out, I am accessing my music through Apple Music. If I go through 'Music library' I do see the 'All' album, I don't even have to long press the artist. Didn't see it because I never use the music library, as it fails to import my iTunes playlists, but that's a separate issue 🙂 Too bad this option of playing all songs by one artist not available through Apple music.
Apple would need to add the capability into their Sonos interface, For the most part, they control the look and feel of their service in the Sonos app.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Add it to the list of complaints/requests to Apple Music.
Userlevel 1
Badge
This is a huge flaw I've called in about, left messages about, and even emailed the CEO about (found his email on the website). Not only can you not add all songs by an artist or genre to an existing queue, you can't even view them without going in and out of each specific album (within the artist or genre selection you've made). Which is ridiculous. It's a huge hindrance to making good queues or playlists. And it's odd, because from my Google Music app, I do have that functionality. So I'm not sure why Sonos doesn't have it, and why they continue to ignore this issue. They don't even respond to the many comments I've seen on this forum regarding that issue.

Thanks for bringing it up cashburton. I feel your frustration.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi FTT, I just replied to one of the other places you posted in, looks like you have a bunch of them at the moment. I just wanted to let you know in here too that I'll make sure to add your interest to this request to make sure the team knows people are still asking for it. We are always looking for feedback and adding new features.

Also, I'm sure you know, but you can use the Google Play Music app for Android devices to control Sonos directly, if there's a particular feature in their app you're looking to use, you can probably get there using their app on Sonos.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Thanks for the comment, Ryan! That is actually very helpful to know. I have been doing that and casting my phone over my Sonos speaker at times, so I can just use the Google Music app functionality, since the Sonos app is so limited. It'd be preferable to go through the Sonos app directly, so that my phone isn't feeding the speaker (draining the battery, my music stops at times when other apps are used, etc.). So I hope Sonos fixes this seeming oversight on their app, but I do appreciate the tip!
Thanks for the comment, Ryan! That is actually very helpful to know. I have been doing that and casting my phone over my Sonos speaker at times, so I can just use the Google Music app functionality, since the Sonos app is so limited. It'd be preferable to go through the Sonos app directly, so that my phone isn't feeding the speaker (draining the battery, my music stops at times when other apps are used, etc.). So I hope Sonos fixes this seeming oversight on their app, but I do appreciate the tip!
This has to be done by Google themselves for they are responsible for the content provided.
Userlevel 1
Badge
[quote=Smilja]This has to be done by Google themselves for they are responsible for the content provided.

Are you a developer, Smilja? Google provides the library, but they don't create the Sonos interface. My Google music app provides me the missing functionality, and it also provides Sonos everything they need (they have the songs, so pulling them outside of their albums for that point of view should be pretty easy to do).
[quote=FTT]This has to be done by Google themselves for they are responsible for the content provided.

Are you a developer, Smilja? Google provides the library, but they don't create the Sonos interface. My Google music app provides me the missing functionality, and it also provides Sonos everything they need (they have the songs, so pulling them outside of their albums for that point of view should be pretty easy to do).

https://musicpartners.sonos.com/?q=node/224
Userlevel 1
Badge
[quote=Smilja]This has to be done by Google themselves for they are responsible for the content provided.

https://musicpartners.sonos.com/?q=node/224

Any part of that in particular that you're sharing?
This has to be done by Google themselves for they are responsible for the content provided.

The interface is a joint build. All Sonos interfaces with streaming services lack a few features of the original app. Putting together two complex systems may just not be so trivially easy as you think.
Userlevel 1
Badge

The interface is a joint build. All Sonos interfaces with streaming services lack a few features of the original app. Putting together two complex systems may just not be so trivially easy as you think.

"So trivially easy as I think"... Wow... Not my words, but yes, I'm confident they wouldn't have too much trouble displaying the songs individually instead of within albums.