Answered

PLAY 5(gen.2) & Google Home Mini

• 5 May 2018
  • 4 replies

Hello. I would like to know if Sonos will update the play 5 so that it can be voice controlled through Google home Mini. I contacted the support by email but I got contradicting answers in return (i.e. it is coming in 2018 and it is coming in 2018 only for Sonos one). I
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 5 May 2018, 15:26

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

There are no appropriate microphones in the PLAY:5, so while you’ll be able to control it, you’ll need another device, like a Sonos One, or a Google Home device to hear your commands.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes - if you have a google home mini it will be able to control your Play:5 once the skill is released. We believe it will be this summer that Sonos adds google home integration (our guess).

You can use a program called Yonomi to do it now if you want to play around with it https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/01/14/can-now-control-sonos-speakers-google-home-yonomi/
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I believe when they said only coming to Sonos One they were confused as to your question. The ability for a Sonos speaker to actually listen to Google Home commands would be the Sonos One. But using a Google Home Mini you will be able to command any Sonos speaker (assuming it is just like the Alexa integration).
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Hello. I would like to know if Sonos will update the play 5 so that it can be voice controlled through Google home Mini. I contacted the support by email but I got contradicting answers in return (i.e. it is coming in 2018 and it is coming in 2018 only for Sonos one). I

There should be a google home skill coming this year. That will allow google assistant to send voice to sonos. It will most likely release once the sonos one gets google assistant integration