Plans for Apple watch app in near future?

• 11 January 2017
  • 48 replies

Userlevel 3
Dear sonos-developers,

Are there any plans to release an SONOS Apple watch app in the near future?

I hope so!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

48 replies

Downloaded sonobit... volume kind of works. Nothing else seems to. Pretty bad.
I would like an Apple watch to see which song is playing right now
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If you are using an apple phone and have the lock screen control for Sonos active it will do that automatically now with no 3rd party app needed.
Yeah, but it doesn't show on the watch. And the lock screen doesn't always work. There's room for improvement.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It is supposed to show on watch as mentioned by Sonos above.
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
+1 for an Apple Watch app.

To those saying it'd take too many resources for a company of this size to create and support one, I disagree. It should be a very lightweight extension of the iOS app and is one of the few actually valuable use-cases for an Apple Watch app.
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
If you are using an apple phone and have the lock screen control for Sonos active it will do that automatically now with no 3rd party app needed.
Only if the Sonos app is the last app you've opened. Otherwise "now playing" drops the connection to Sonos and shows nothing playing. (Same with Control Centre and iPhone physical volume controls)

I think this is more of an iOS issue than Sonos, however, it doesn't negate the fact that a dedicated Sonos Apple Watch app would vastly improve the experience and reliability.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
There already are decent Sonos watch apps
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
There already are decent Sonos watch apps
There seem to be a lot of excuses for not having an Apple Watch app. According to this forum, no, there aren't any good Sonos Apple Watch apps. And no matter what, it's not the same as a first-party developed/supported app.

Remember Reddit and Alien Blue? It was barely passable, but once Reddit bought and supported it as their own, it got far better.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
What are issues with all the current available?
As previously posted....

Downloaded sonobit... volume kind of works. Nothing else seems to. Pretty bad.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
That was one version. Not sure why didn't work haven't tried using in year or so.
Badge
As far as I can tell without purchasing them, none of the 3rd party Apple Watch-enabled apps allow you to browse through and select 3rd party music services (like SiriusXM). Would be nice to be able to switch Sirius channels on our outdoor speakers from my watch while in the pool. If I am wrong, PLEASE let me know! This is another case for a sonos-made Apple Watch app...I can't imagine they would leave that feature out.
I just updated to iOS 11 and watchOS 4, and the lock screen (iPhone 7 Plus) and Now Playing (Apple Watch Series 2) are both showing the current song playing, allow you to pause, skip tracks, and adjust the master volume. I received a phone call while music was playing, and the screens on both devices went back to normal. I was able to get them both back up by opening up the Sonos (Beta) app and then locking the screen. Seems buggy and unstable at first look, but will have to see how it performs over time, and with updates.

Has anyone else experienced this?
If you're using a Beta app, there's a more appropriate place to be discussing it. This is a public forum.
Userlevel 1
Badge
WHY can't you all use the various 3rd party apps. There is no reason for Sonos to re-invent the wheel. There is nothing wrong with using one of the 3rd party apps. (I'm not sure why someone would say they prefer not to other then saving a couple dollars). This is a horrible comment... period. This person clearly doesn't understand the difference between 1st and 3rd party support for something.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I just updated to iOS 11 and watchOS 4, and the lock screen (iPhone 7 Plus) and Now Playing (Apple Watch Series 2) are both showing the current song playing, allow you to pause, skip tracks, and adjust the master volume. I received a phone call while music was playing, and the screens on both devices went back to normal. I was able to get them both back up by opening up the Sonos (Beta) app and then locking the screen. Seems buggy and unstable at first look, but will have to see how it performs over time, and with updates.

Has anyone else experienced this?

It's a hit or miss thing that depends on state. I believe it's a cause/effect situation from some of the new music APIs and integrations introduced in iOS updates and Apple's SDKs. I'm sure that this isn't an officially support thing, just something that works under the correct circumstances.
Userlevel 1
Badge
http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/watch/sonos-apple-watch-app-ceo/

I'm not entirely certain where Sonos surveys their information from (or even if they do proper User Surveying research), but the above is a load of baloney. Everyone I know is begging for an Apple Watch/tvOS application to control their Sonos system. God knows that these app would remove so many other issues that come with the Amazon Echo integration. The goal should be to make it easy to access your system from everything everywhere. It should not be a bias partnership.
Badge +1
http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/watch/sonos-apple-watch-app-ceo/

I'm not entirely certain where Sonos surveys their information from (or even if they do proper User Surveying research), but the above is a load of baloney. Everyone I know is begging for an Apple Watch/tvOS application to control their Sonos system. God knows that these app would remove so many other issues that come with the Amazon Echo integration. The goal should be to make it easy to access your system from everything everywhere. It should not be a bias partnership.

well said. The missing watch app was an important feature issue for me, but now that I’m switching to HomePod I dont care what Sonos does or doesn’t do.

I understand that not everyone is willing to sell their Sonos speakers and replace them with HomePods. for those who cannot, you can hope that Airplay 2 for Sonos is released this year. its not as good as a watch app, but at least you can control playback of what the phone streams to Sonos. ie stream from Music app to Sonor over Airplay 2 , contol music app from Apple Watch.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Did you know that enabling lock screen controls for the Sonos app does also allow you to have basic control of your currently selected Sonos speaker from the Apple Watch's "Now Playing" screen? True, it's not full control in that you can change sources or anything, but adjusting volume, play/pause, and skip forward/back is very much possible.

And there's a company called Tunesmap that is working on a TVos app that can control Sonos and also display lots of other info and photos about a song's artist/group. It's in beta right now, but anyone can sign up to test as long as you have a 4th Gen or 4K Apple TV and Sonos. Just like the watch's Now Playing functionality, it doesn't give full control, but again, play/pause and skip forward/back is possible. though you can also change to another speaker with this app if desired.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Above spam post reported
Tried Sonobit, you can't change the groupings of speakers, last development was December 2017. Kronos Connect, hasn't done development on this app for a while (3 Years), so wouldn't bother purchasing (latest reviews indicated not good either). Zoneplay seems the only one available with all the key features I require and currently developing a fix for the recent watch (5) upgrade. There is a good history of program management by the developer. My preference would be for a Sonos watch app.