Answered

Permanently Group 2 rooms

• 2 October 2017
  • 2 replies

I have a large Sonos network and want to Permanently Group the Master Bedroom (1 - Sonos 5) and Master Bathroom (2 - Sonos 1) so that they always play the same all of the time. I know I can Group them together. However, when I group the whole house (15 speakers) and later ungroup the whole house, it requires that I go through a bunch of extra steps just to recombine those two rooms. I just want to make sure they stay together all of the time - (Why is this so hard?)
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 2 October 2017, 20:56

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

I have a similar setup, where I link the bedroom and the bath together.

Unfortunately, I've not found an easy way to use "whole house" grouping and ungrouping, so I've just done them all manually, so that I don't have to re-do the link between bath and bedrooms.

There's been a request for a long time for addressing this, it's gotten the normal response, i.e. we'll pass that along to the Dev team, without any commitment to actually doing anything. I don't actually take umbrage to this myself, having been involved in enough software maintenance processes myself, I recognize that priorities change on the fly, and sometimes by the minute, due to the vagaries of life and the ways bugs pop up at the oddest times. So I support their "we're not going to tell you what is on our roadmap for the next build" stance.

There's a thousand (or more!) ideas floating around these boards, most of which include the statement "it wouldn't be hard to do this", which I find amusing. But they've certainly got a significant backlog to work through, when they're not dealing with the Amazon voice control integration, the current PLAYBAR Dolby Digital bug, or the Spotify bug.

But it's good that you've posted your desire, and hopefully at some point, this issue will bubble to the current sprint, and get done. But frankly, I've got one or two things that *I* consider more important 🙂
There isn't any magic way to do this, but it does seem to be a common request. I couldn't tell you if it's on Sonos radar as a future enhancement. I would say though, with the upcoming integration with Amazon, and that Amazon does have this permanent grouping for speakers and smart devices, it does seem likely (IMO) that this feature will be coming in the near future. That is, if you use an Alexa enabled device to control Sonos.