Permanent/Default Group Settings

• 28 August 2018
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
I would like to have a feature where you can permanently lock speakers in a group (not in a stereo pair as they’re not close to each other, but similar arrangement). So that even if they are added to a group and removed from the group they automatically stay in their permanent group.
Also if they’re switched off & on it would be good to be able to get them to automatically stay grouped (or join a default group), rather than appearing as individual speakers.
What do you think?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9
Similar ideas have been suggested but not much response on them. I also would love this feature. Love to group my Master Bathroom(Play 5) and Master Bedroom(Stereo Pair Play1s) as one unit. I have two ConnectAmps to my out door areas, love to have them joined as "Outdoor"
Userlevel 2
Badge
Sounds good, I see it working very similar to creating a stereo pair but each speaker would be 'mono' and you could add more than just the two. Having more than one speaker set to each 'room' or zone would be vary handy
Same request here. I have playbase/sub in living room and want to default group with my play 3 in kitchen so I can hear TV while in Kitchen. I have to manually group every day. Please add this feature!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi all

I've just posted this in an Alexa thread but for those that don't have Alexa but have a Harmony Hub remote this is still an option by selecting the Activity on the remote.

I've been experimenting with my Harmony Hub activities and have discovered a way to create named groups of Sonos players and to request a named group to become active via voice control - the key is the Harmony Hub.

Here are the steps I've tested:
1/ Open the Harmony Hub App>Harmony Setup;
2/ Add your Sonos players as devices;
2/ Next create an Activity - Named 'Group Sonos';
3/ Add your required Devices to the Activity;
4/ Disable the Harmony skill in the Alexa App and then Re-Enable. During this process you have the ability to define 'Friendly Names' - there doesn't seem to be a way of doing this any other way. I created 'Group Sonos' and 'Sonos Everywhere' as friendly names;
5/ Save the Activity in the Harmony Hub App;
6/ Ask 'Alexa, Discover devices';

Now the command 'Alexa, Turn on Group Sonos' or 'Alexa, Turn on Sonos Everywhere' groups all of my Sonos speakers and displays the new grouping in the Sonos App. You just need to repeat for any other named Sonos groups you require and you can switch between them by turning on the required Activity.