PC controller not finding SONOS components!

• 10 April 2013
  • 49 replies

The controller installed on my PC is not recognizing any SONOS components! The handset controller and the controller on my android phone are working fine. I have checked the firewall and un-ticked the boxes as recommended. Ricky Hay

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

49 replies

Hi Peter,

Can you please try connecting the computer directly to the Cisco switch, to eliminate one possible problem source.

Does the computer discover your Sonos devices as network devices? You may have to alter your network settings for this particular network to allow discovery of network devices.

/Dan

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the idea... As stated above, I'm having this issue only with one computer. It all works fine on other computers (Win7) on the same setup. It also works wireless via iPhones and Android tablets... So the switch is not the issue... It's something on that laptop specifically. I'll try Chris's suggestion first and remove the VMWare virtual network adapters completely on that machine and will keep you posted on my progress.

Cheers,

Peter H.
Userlevel 2
Hi Peter,

Can you please try connecting the computer directly to the Cisco switch, to eliminate one possible problem source.

Does the computer discover your Sonos devices as network devices? You may have to alter your network settings for this particular network to allow discovery of network devices.

/Dan

I don't think uninstalling VMWare will help, you've disabled the network adapters which should be enough.

I would still recommend that you try connecting your PC to a another physical port, preferably the one your other PC is using. This will eliminate a failure area (this will probably not help, but I'd do it anyway).

Have you tried having only one of the Sonos components wired to your network? I haven't looked at how Sonos handles multiple network connections.

/Dan

Hi Peter,

/Dan

Hi Dan,

Thanks again... Yes tried other ports and wireless from that computer. I'm wondering if there maybe is a port conflict with another application (e.g. lync) during discovery on that machine... On the Sonos side there is nothing that can be configured in an advanced way including port usage.

I'll keep you posted on any progress.

Cheers,

Peter
As I posted a while ago, changing the channel on my wireless router worked for me, although I can't guarantee this was not a coincidence.  Has this worked for anyone else ?  If so, it may be an issue of wireless interference ?
Oh dear, I came here expecting to find a solution - I have just purchased a Sonos system and have exactly the same issues - Android app works fine, PC app cannot see Sonos. Not happy at all.
Came here to find solution - I have exactly the same issue - Android app working find, PC app cannot see any of the components at all. Sonos system only a few days old. Not happy at all for such an expensive piece of hardware and software. 
Userlevel 2
Oh dear, I came here expecting to find a solution - I have just purchased a Sonos system and have exactly the same issues - Android app works fine, PC app cannot see Sonos. Not happy at all.
Are you connecting over wifi or is the PC networked?
Does that machine have any networks other than the one you are using to connect?
Thanks for the swift reply, Adam! 

I've just resolved it, thanks to comments in this thread actually - I used a laptop that I had to hand that only had a single network interface and that worked fine. 

Just frustrating that the PC app couldn't give a more helpful message (or any diagnostic message at all).

cheers
dj
Userlevel 2
Hi I am having the same issue. 

On one laptop, android phone and iphone sonos software installed without a hitch. 

But when trying to install on another laptop I always get the "your sonos device was not found" message.

This is what i have done already,

1. I reinstalled the sonos software.
2. I restarted my laptop.
3. I uninstalled my VPN
4. I tried connecting my laptop direcly using LAN
5. I have disabled all other network adapters

When the sonos app gets to the "connect to a sonos component screen" i press the button on the bridge and it say connecting which means something is happening and it definately knows its there. 

Thanks for any help.

Alan 
Userlevel 2
Hi I am having the same issue. 

On one laptop, android phone and iphone sonos software installed without a hitch. 

But when trying to install on another laptop I always get the "your sonos device was not found" message.

This is what i have done already,

1. I reinstalled the sonos software.
2. I restarted my laptop.
3. I uninstalled my VPN
4. I tried connecting my laptop direcly using LAN
5. I have disabled all other network adapters

When the sonos app gets to the "connect to a sonos component screen" i press the button on the bridge and it say connecting which means something is happening and it definately knows its there. 

Thanks for any help.

Alan 

I had the same problem. The PC controller was detecting the component because the message would change as soon as I pressed the "connect" buttons but was failing to complete the process, same message as yours.

My problem was that VirtualBox had created a new network connection and was causing the controller to misbehave.
I just disabled the connection and it was fine after that.

Do you have more that one network connection on that laptop?
Same issue - brand new Sonos 1 and Bridge. Samsung Galaxy 3 and BlackBerry Android App connect but PC says "your sonos component could not be found"
I had a similar issue with VirtualBox installed, and it took quite some work with Sonos support to get it sorted out. It seems that the Sonos PC Controller software gets confused by the Virtual Network Adapter that VirtualBox installs. Solution is to disable the VirtualBox adapter whilst the Sonos PC Controller establishes a connection to the Sonos component(s). Once they have connected, the VirtualBox adapter can be re-enabled. I too am network-savvy and cannot understand why this should be a problem.
That fixes my problem too:-)
I had the same problem, I could connect with my iPad but my PC couldn't find my SONOS system. When I opened the "Network and Sharing Center", I found that my network connection was setup as a public network. I changed it to a home network and SONOS immediately connected.
Appreciate string to correct. I have access to Sonos on one laptop (Windows 7), iPhone, and Sonos controller (Before I bought an iPhone). I have Sonos application installed on another laptop and tried to open recently, but it can't find my Sonos system (which is playing right now)... I disabled Firewall to allow access to Sonos application on 2nd laptop, but still won't find Sonos system. It appears that Sonos software currently doesn't allow more than one Windows 7 laptop controller?
I've just hit the problem described above. My laptop running Windows 8.1 wouldn't connect to the Sonos bridge, but android apps on my Nexus 4 and 7 connected immediately. I'd configured the firewall as suggested in the Sonos faq pages (it is Kapersky Pure 3.0), and tried a lot of what is suggested above (connecting via an ethernet cable to the bridge, disabling other network adapters...).

Nothing seemed to work, until I decided on last ditch measures. Turn off the firewall. Much to my surprise this worked. This was over wifi so it didn't need to be connected via ethernet. After having connected I enabled the firewall and everything seems to work.

I know my setup is fairly simple - no LAN, no VPN, just a homegroup network connection, but I thought I'd share what seems to be a frustrating process that just isn't made clear in the Sonos official documentation.

I hope everyone got their systems working. Sonos really need to update their documentation as it is wafer thin and doesn't help at all.
Hello Richard, It sounds like something install and running on the PC is still blocking your SONOS from speaking to the PC. This does not seem to be a network issue since the Android Phone seems to work fine with the System. What internet security or firewall software running is running on the PC? What is the operating system is running on the PC ? The PC is connecting to correct network? Is there an virtualbox, virtual machines, or VPN connections being used on that PC?
I reset everthing and it works from my laptop for a time.  After a few days, it no longer seem the components and wants me to reset the controller.  I have redone everying a couple of times-- very annoying losing the stations I have set up, etc.  My andriod, however, always seems to work.  So, this problem, for me, is intermitten.
This tread helped, I ended up removing my ethernet connection with another computer and was able to successfully setup the Sonos controller on my pc. Something so simple....Thank you!
Do you have more than one network adapter (physical or virtual) on the PC that won't connect? As noted above, the Sonos controller can't handle more than one network adapter when it's doing the initial setup. One a connection is configured, extra adapters can be re-enabled
I was having the same issue.  I have three multiple apple devices (laptop, iphones, ipad) controllers working fine.  But my Windows 7 PC would not set up the controller.  I disabled all but the active network adpater and was then able to get it to work.  I re-enabled the other adapters after it first connected and all is working now.  Thank you.
I had the same problem, I could connect with my iPad but my PC couldn't find my SONOS system. When I opened the "Network and Sharing Center", I found that my network connection was setup as a public network. I changed it to a home network and SONOS immediately connected.
This solved my issue.
I had troubles. Lots of de-installing and re-installing didn't help. Eventually I went into the router (BT HomeHub 3) and changed the network set up to use Channel 1, (previously automatically selected by the router) and Sonos to channel 11. Trouble free since then.
Great advice, all worked., Sonos must enter this in the FAQs
FYI, I tried pretty much all the steps here and couldn't get my PC to detect the controller. I was at a loss as my iOS and Droid had no issues, for whatever reason I decided to disable the Firewall on my router (Asus) and sure enough it connected first shot after that.. I was at a loss as my handhelds use that same router. Soon as it connected, I re-enabled the firewall on my router and all is well..
Urrghhh / cut the above. Stopped working - Then I finally set a static IP on my Sonos devices via my router (was dhcp for the WiFi devices) and now it is seeing everything fine. This has worked with x's reboots of PC and router.
I am having the same issue. Installed 3 Sonos components, all directly cat6 wired onto a Cisco gigabit switch. Installed controller on Tablet Android 4.1.2 (OK), iPhone iOS7 (OK), PC Windows 7 Home x64 (OK), Windows 7 Business x64 (Not OK)...

So I am having issues on one PC.
- I connect the PC directly wired using an ethernet cable onto one of the Sonos components
- Start the controller -> No device found
- Next:
   - Disable any VM network defined onto the PC
   - Disable Windows Firewall
   - Disable Anti-Virus software
   - Quit any other resident communication software like Lync, Skype, ...
- Start the controller again -> No device found

I know it must be something specific on this PC, but I am out of clues... Could it be a port conflict that is being used for the device discovery?

I am out of clues here...

Any suggestion?

Thanks in advance!

Peter H.

Disabling any VMWare Network adapters that I had on my computer fixed my issue.