patch 14.12

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Just updated to 14.12 only noticed 2 things 

Truplay had to be redone for my arc,sub and surrounds not my 5's and sub 

Also volume level seems lower on the  arc

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

221 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I just updated my sonos setup to 14.12 and all I can say is that I’m very dissappointed with Sonos.  I have an Arc, sub x 2 (Gen 2 and Gen 3) and 2 play One’s.  Since the update, I’ve redone the trueplay and I can feel the subs moving but there is no bass.  Has anyone else encountered this?  I’ve turned the sub level to max and there was barely any difference.  I also reboot the entire system and no change.

Userlevel 2

I am not happy with this update. They could have fixed the dialog issue with giving us a center volume control. Now we have all been forced to use their dialog enhancement, which first off seems lower volume than it was before the update. I still need to use the dialog enhancement setting, and now it sounds even more tinny than before. I had trueplay calibration done perfectly for my room over much trial and error and now I have ran it 4 times and can't get it to sound as good as it did before. Sonos needs to provide an update to return the Arc to the way it was before,because this update has ruined things. Also I had an error at the end of the update that said the Arc disconnected during the update and to try again. I clicked the try again and it said everything is up to date. The Arc shows the correct firmware. Not sure what to do now. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Yep, can confirm after 14.12 update everything is at least 10 volume levels less. Clarity wasn't an issue in the first place. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I'm not happy with this update whatsoever

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Update made the system sound horrible. Before my sub was on 2 now on 8 and still does not sound the same. This is with music and movies. 
sound cheap!!!
Sonos please revert back or fix it.  

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

This update ruined my sub. Now it sounds like a 100 dollar Chinese plastic speaker ☹️

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

I am not happy with this update. They could have fixed the dialog issue with giving us a center volume control. Now we have all been forced to use their dialog enhancement, which first off seems lower volume than it was before the update. I still need to use the dialog enhancement setting, and now it sounds even more tinny than before. I had trueplay calibration done perfectly for my room over much trial and error and now I have ran it 4 times and can't get it to sound as good as it did before. Sonos needs to provide an update to return the Arc to the way it was before,because this update has ruined things. Also I had an error at the end of the update that said the Arc disconnected during the update and to try again. I clicked the try again and it said everything is up to date. The Arc shows the correct firmware. Not sure what to do now. 

Exactly the same for me. I got the same error message at the end of the update. I must renew the trueplay and the volume is very lower than before. Also the sub not the same bass like before. What’s up Sonos? Please role back soon!!!!

Couldnt agree more. Everything is at least 10 volume levels less and just sounds treble biased now, almost tinny. What a shame my £1500 has been ruined by a pathetic update. If it sounded like this in store I simply wouldn't have purchased it. Very angered.

Userlevel 3

This update ruined my sub. Now it sounds like a 100 dollar Chinese plastic speaker ☹️

I couldn't agree more. Like a computer sub, especially while playing music. Just terrible. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

P.S. Decided to report the issues directly with Sonos too just to add my case/voice to their backlog. The chat agent (Horea) was very courteous and informed. They advised me that Sonos has indeed recognised this as an issue and are working on a fix. Fingers crossed!

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I have to agree that music sounds worse after 14.12, retuned truplay on ot off doesn't matter to my ears. Arc with sub and surrounds 

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

I have reported the new information above and have a case number I will report back when I have more 

Userlevel 3

Not a fan of this update. I just brought my setup arc and sub 3 and was loving it! But these settings have made my sub not sound as good. I can feel the difference and it's not as loud from a far. The settings don't fix it either. I can tell they lowered 30-40hz in the sub and made the arc sound too midrange like. I wish they would rollback the update so I can enjoy the system like I was. I don't have a iPhone to do trueplay. A lot of other people are complaining on the Sonos Facebook page as well. 

Userlevel 2

Before this update with trueplay turned on, I felt like the Arc, my Symfonisk lamps and the sub were all perfectly balanced. No matter where I was in the room, I heard a symphony of speakers vs a bunch of individual speakers competing.

After 14.12 and TruePlay tuning, the sound is flat and thin, lacking in punch, presence and bass.

It sounds like I bought a ** budget Bose soundbar.

I don’t understand how anyone at Sonos thought this was a good idea.

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

I also noticed a difference in sound  reduction especially from streaming services,.. Also watching blu rays.

yep! theres been a reduction to sound quality/volume on all my streaming services but Sonos Support likes to think the problem doesn’t exist.  

Be nice if Sonos support could for once respond in a timely manner when threads get this big due to a widespread issue, forgive me if they have already on here?

Now a week since an update made my £650 sub gen 3 into nothing more than a useful paperweight due to the weaker bass.

I would just like to know officially on here if a fix is on the way soon. 

How hard can that be really?

Stop being so secretive Sonos support and start engaging with the owners of your products!

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

My setup is Arc + One SL (x2) surrounds. I don’t have a Sub.

Before the 14.12 update this is how my system was setup:

The Arc was tuned with Trueplay alone but the system was not Trueplay tuned after the surrounds were added. After much experimentation this setup seemed to produce the most balanced sound for me. Bass was deep but not overpowering. My EQ was set to bass +8. Height audio was +8. Surrounds music setting +4, ambient mode.

After the 14.12 update I tried tuning with Trueplay multiple times, also with and without the surround speakers connected. There is definitely a big difference in the way the system sounds overall:

• The surround speakers now sound a lot louder in all modes: Atmos movies, stereo music in ambient mode, etc. Even when listing to stereo TV the surrounds are a lot more noticeable. When listening to stereo music (surrounds in ambient mode) they also seem to produce more bass than before. This is even with surround volume for music now set to 0.
  • Probably due to the higher surround speakers volume now content in Atmos and 5.1 has a very distinct channel separation. E.g. I can clearly tell when a sound is playing from one of the surrounds. I’m not sure yet if this a good or bad thing. It feels like Atmos sounded more subtle, atmospherical and enveloping before while now it is very clearly directional.
  • Bass overall is lower but it also sounds different in general. When listening to stereo music bass sounds very unbalanced and muddy. Occasionally it completely overpowers the sound but overall it really lacks definition and sounds thin. This is not as noticeable and bad with movies but there is definitely less bass. Lower overall volume makes the issue worse with bass nearly completely disappearing.
  • Dialogue appears to be somewhat clearer now but this seems to be at the expense of higher treble overall. High frequencies can be almost piercing now especially at higher system volume.
  • There seems to be a difference with the Arc’s volume levels but I can’t quite put my finger on it. For example I had to increase the height audio setting to +10 from +8 before the update. I’m also having to put the overall system volume higher than before with some content but I can’t find a clear pattern yet.

My overall impression of the changes in 14.12 is very much negative. My system sounds unbalanced and bass is lacking. Trueplay doesn’t seem to make a significant difference with the issues and if fact I’d say it makes them worse.

I don’t have a Sub in my setup because I generally dislike very loud, rattling bass especially with TV and movies. Before the 14.12 update I found music to be perfectly bass-y and balanced with just the Arc and surrounds. Movies and TV had just enough bass to send vibrations through my sofa but not so loud as to rattle my windows and annoy the neighbours. I think it is telling that even someone like me who prefers balanced bass finds the system very thin and unbalanced after 14.12.

I appreciate Sonos’ efforts to enhance their products through software updates and usually I’d consider this a good thing. However, it is also extremely annoying that they would release buggy updates and updates that occasionally change the sound profile of their products in such drastic ways. As other commenters have said: if something is not broken (and nobody is complaining about it) perhaps it would be best not to change it.

Here’s to hoping Sonos will address these issues ASAP.

Excellent description there and I concur with everything you've said. This is probably my 4th or 5th reply to other people's comments in this same thread so I'll keep it short and sweet.

I just wanted to add that I've removed my 1SL's and Sub from the Arc and the 1SLs on their own sound different too. Maybe the reduced volume level isn't as much (only 5 levels lower I'd say) but the One is now mid-high and treble biased too.

With the volume reduction not as much, this would probably explain why they sound louder as part of a surround group. Just a thought.

But agreed, the whole lot needs to go back to how it sounded pre-14.12 but if necessary keep the connectivity improvements.

I feel trapped if they won't revert it back to how it was before; £1500 system ruined.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

The same for me also, arc + sub sounds quieter

Not happy with this update I have had to turn up bass and sub levels and double overall volume to get what I had before 

I had no clarity issues unless this is music related as i only use my arc system for movies and TV 

Should have known better and waited before updating 

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Update 

I have redone truplay and no change I have to watch  at volume level 30 when before I would use 15 

For movie night level it's now 50-55 before was 35 I have never had the volume over 50 before as it was to loud

Again I have had to increase the bass and sub level and when I use the movie night level I have to turn treble down as it is to harsh 

Before the update the front soundstage sounded wider as well if that makes sense 

As for clarity it was fine before I never had to use speech enhancement for dialogue and for the level I use for movie night if I do not reduce the treble it sounds like the way my dad has his TV set up and he was deaf!

In short it sounds awful now 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Sonos is getting exactly 2 weeks from me to either release minimum parametric 5-way EQ functionality or revert this **** and terminate all the incompetent **** software engineers who worked on this utter garbage piece of **** update (little hint: go fold carton boxes, that’s more in your skillset you daft **** idiots) + send out a public apology and offer all sonos product owners a  sizeable gift card as an apology. Absolutely **** unacceptable for the price of these products.

Whoever is responsible for this I hope you **** spend the rest of your days in agony because that’s exactly what it feels like being a product owner fool who got scammed by Sonos at this exact moment. If neither of the above happens I’m 100% instantly selling off and dumping all my **** speakers second-handed while they still somehow have any kind of market value before the general public and consumer review websites figure out and spread they sound as **** 50 bucks speakers now and both my 2500-3000 dollars set-ups can’t even be pawned off for 1% of their purchase price because nobody wants this stinking pile of garbage. 

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

I also rang sonos and submitted diagnostics 1479794144

They are looking into it apparently 👍

Thanks for letting us know they're looking into it. It can't stay like this. Sounds terrible. Needs to be rolled back for sure. The Arc would not win any awards sounding like this. Absolutely got it wrong with 14.12

I understand your frustration, but be careful not to assume that every user is experiencing the same problems as you. With my setup, I have noticed no difference with the volume level and can tell that dialog clarity has been improved. I just tested Blade Runner 2049 on Blu-ray (which is known for its impressive bass) and I still experienced the same room-shaking bass that I had before the update.

More than likely, Sonos will not roll back the update but just make some adjustments to address the issues that some users, like you, are experiencing.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I get that, not all users will experience the same issues, that's mainly down to different individuals and their equipment and ears or tonal tastes. For me, concurring with the majority on here, the dialogue on the Arc has been over 'improved' and now that's all I can hear, when turned up 10 more levels. I've never done true play tuning and I've always kept the EQ on a default out of the box, which immensely satisfied me and the sole reason for purchasing. After all, that's how the Arc won awards, for how it originally sounded and performed. All that has changed now since 14.12 and I urge the likes of What HIFI to have a listen now and see where their head is at, because I'm almost certain it wouldn't win any awards sounding like this. I've spent a lot of money on Arc, Sub and Surrounds and for a team to come along and tweak something which was never wrong in the first place and somewhat ruin it (for me at least) I think is quite frankly disappointing and upsetting. I'm left begging for either a roll back (which is unlikely as you say) or a quick fix to get it back to how it used to sound. I'm sorry that I feel so passionate about it but I'm sure I speak for others in their utter disappointment that such a 3 minute software update has brought them.

Userlevel 1

Someone mentions this might be a gen 3 sub issue. Been noticing that affected users seem to be on Gen 3 rather than 2? Might be worth confirming. 

I have a Sub Gen 3 and it sounds just as good as it did before the update. If anything, it sounds less boomy than it did before which is a good thing.

I have two sub Gen 3s and I am experiencing issues as well. Seems like the update lowered the bass tremendously and it now sounds flat. Hopefully Sonos fixes the issues soon.

Userlevel 1

Sonos let us roll back to previous update, this is not ok.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Had my arc, sub and ones for about 18 months now and have been blissfully happy with them. 

Downloaded the new update over the weekend and what a difference. As others have said the update seems to have muted they system and I now have to listen at approx 50% volume. That would have shaken my house pre 14.12. The system now just sounds flat and devoid of any dynamic range. 

If the system sounded like this out of the box on day one it would have been packed up and sent back immediately. I couldn’t believe the results from true play. I even re ran with my iPad as I assumed it hadn’t worked properly with my phone. 

Please put the system back to how it was pre 14.12.  There was literally nothing wrong with the audio quality. Not happy. 

Userlevel 1

I have an Arc, Sub gen 3, and Play 1 surround setup. I have noticed that if I toggle the Trueplay off, then the sub seems to come back a lot better. Not as good overall sound as pre-update, but right now my system with Trueplay off sounds a lot better than Trueplay on, particularly in the bass. I can barely tell the Sub is even there with Trueplay on.

Userlevel 1

Same lower volume issues here

Userlevel 1

I must renew the trueplay and the volume is very lower than before. Also the sub not the same bass like before. What’s up Sonos? Please role back soon!!!!

There is wide disagreement with respect to ‘enough’ bass. You can adjust the SUB level at Settings → System → [arc] → Sub Audio.

Only you know what sounds “best”.

I had the „best“ bass for me before the update. Same settings set under sub audio after the update und it’s not the same. If I must set now instead of +2 before +15 now…. something must going wrong….

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

It is really weird that the only way to make the clarity of the center speaker better is to reduce the volume of the rest. You would think that when using LPCM you get the sound as the creator has intended, so why try to change that anyway? But hey, I’m no sound engineer. Most frustrating thing to me is that I (and probably most people) had no problem with the clarity of the center speaker what so ever to begin with! I haven’t used the speech enhancement feature once at all. That should be saying something.