patch 14.12

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Just updated to 14.12 only noticed 2 things 

Truplay had to be redone for my arc,sub and surrounds not my 5's and sub 

Also volume level seems lower on the  arc

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

221 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

Not yet, might wait for a Peter Pee review first 😄

I am doing it now. In for a penny, in for a pound. 😀

I will update on this forum once complete. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

I am doing it now. In for a penny, in for a pound. 😀

I will update on this forum once complete. 

Let me know, I will be doing the same in about 3 hours time. Also would be interested to know if I will have to borrow an iphone again to do TruePlay.

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

PLEASE DO NOT INSTALL BASED SOLEY ON THE BELOW

I have installed the update, and it has seemingly not broke anything which is good news. I have also performed true-play. (NOTE: It did not force me to re-turne, I just decided to do it anyway). 

I have spent only 10 minutes with the opening sequence of Blade Runner 2049, and the bass does appear to be more punchy and making my room vibrate. The volume also seems to be a compromise between where it was before the last release and present day. But I just whack it up to around 40 and that is fairly loud in my house. (Used to be 30 or so). 

I think the new sound-signature might still be there, so some may find that not to their taste. But the bass does sound like it has had some improvement after the release, It certainly does not sound non-existent as it did before on the previous release. 

Of course, listening for extended periods is the way forward so I need to do a lot more than just 15 minutes and one film to make an assessment. 

Thanks,

Brad

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

@Brad Porter its still awful for me I retuned truplay and still no bass 
I have gone back to manual settings -8 treble so I can at least use it and it's the same on my 5's and sub if they had sounded like this day 1 I would have returned them😩
One more bad update like this I am done 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

@Brad Porter its still awful for me I retuned truplay and still no bass 
I have gone back to manual settings -8 treble so I can at least use it and it's the same on my 5's and sub if they had sounded like this day 1 I would have returned them😩
One more bad update like this I am done 

For me, there seems to be some difference in the recent update - but I need to listen over a period of time to fully understand it. I am certainly not upping my bass manually or turning my treble down to -8. But the presence of the bass still seems to be somewhat less present than prior to 14.12. (I have two subs and they literally used to sound like a cinema - now it sounds blended and balanced into the overall sound). 

It would be great to hear from Sonons in regards to whether this update actually addresses the bass issue people have raised as an issue since 14.12. Just so we have some visibility of what sits under performance enhancements.

There is a fair chance that we are now facing a sound signature change which is unlikely to change anytime soon. I can only suggest to Sonos that they consider a ‘Home Cinema’ toggle so people (if they choose to do so) can get a sound signature closer to prior to 14.12.

Ill listen to a few movies over the next few days and report back what I feel. As mentioned, I really have only played with it for about 30 mins. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

O, and if anyone speaks to Sonos directly, please ask them to verify whether any of the bass fixes actually were included in 14.14.  I can see other people on different threads saying it has done nothing at all which is somewhat concerning.  So we need to verify whether the latest release actually is meant to address some of this. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

O, and if anyone speaks to Sonos directly, please ask them to verify whether any of the bass fixes actually were included in 14.14.  I can see other people on different threads saying it has done nothing at all which is somewhat concerning.  So we need to verify whether the latest release actually is meant to address some of this. 

Already done that. I have contact with a higher level of support and send them an email yesterday. As soon as I know more, I’ll let you know

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

Just received an email from Sonos higher support desk. 
They confirm patch 14.14 does not resolve the bass issue for the Arc+sub users. That’s the only thing they could tell me. What the bugfixes are, we still don’t know. 

I have provided them with a ton of information which I gathered testing using different platforms. Dolby Summit and Home Theatre Testing Kit troughs Apple TV 4K, Music streaming using Apple Music and Qobuz. 
They thanked me for that and will pass trough all the information to the engineers. Well… let’s hope the next patch will finally resolve this issue (whenever that might be)

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

They confirm patch 14.14 does not resolve the bass issue for the Arc+sub users. That’s the only thing they could tell me. What the bugfixes are, we still don’t know. 

Lol what, so they release an update 3-4 weeks after they broke something with 14.12 and this isn't even a fix for something that we are eager for.

Userlevel 2
Badge

So, it's just a fix for the volume issues then?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Why they don't just load  14.10.    No one complaint about that one.   Thats how you buy the syteem and was teste on

Userlevel 6
Badge +7

I have provided them with a ton of information which I gathered testing using different platforms. Dolby Summit and Home Theatre Testing Kit troughs Apple TV 4K, Music streaming using Apple Music and Qobuz. 
They thanked me for that and will pass trough all the information to the engineers. Well… let’s hope the next patch will finally resolve this issue (whenever that might be)

I am running out of tears. 

(But I am also asking why I am shedding tears for a speaker set). 

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Presumably only fixes the Arc etc. + sub trueplay issue then.

I wish they offered a roll back to the previous version, but that doesn't seem their MO. I much preferred the sound profile before 14.12; it now has a more narrow, hollow sound to me - the vocals are too present. It's less rich sounding than before. Shame.

Have you updated yet?

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

This is getting ridiculous Sonos😡

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Thank you Sonos for managing to ruin my viewing and sound experience…

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

What happened to the Sonos response that I thought was posted on page 1?

It’s still there. In the Announcements thread, not this thread. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Whilst I don’t own any Sonos Soundbars, I do keep an eye on things because it’s something I would like to add in the future.

I’ve watched various videos on YouTube about these issues and the latest one I’ve watched is by a UK retailer who sell Sonos products (Smart Home Sounds). Reading the comments for the video, it would seem that some people actually prefer the more forward vocals from the centre channel and a lot of others hate it. 

This seems to be a clear case of needing some kind of settings in the app in my opinion. Either have just one option to set to true if you do want a more forwards vocal presentation or, more preferably, have a few different options which are labelled as Forward Vocals, More Bass, More Surround as examples. So basically these would be presets that the user can select at any time. 

Having presets would surely make more sense because that would then allow the user to change the profile at any time to suit the film they are watching or to suit the time of day etc.

I can fully understand why the volume curves were altered because I’ve seen a lot of comments for all speakers where people have said it’s difficult to make slight volume changes at lower levels.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I am getting really fed up with this,  I've called loads of times and just get fobbed off and its a complete joke.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I am getting really fed up with this,  I've called loads of times and just get fobbed off and its a complete joke.

Yeah this is really getting ridiculous. It has been two months or so. My sub is a very expensive side table now. Very disappointing. How hard can a fix be.. I mean really..

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi all,

Thank you for your continued discussion. We’re really happy to be able to tell you that today we’ll release an update that will include fixes to the issues that resulted from the 14.12 software update with Enhanced Clarity for Arc.In the 14.12 release, we made a change to Arc’s sound profile to improve dialogue clarity and the overall sound experience.  Since that update, some users whose configuration included a Sub have experienced two issues:

1. Users of Arc would find the same volume settings resulted in lower output volume. Whilst the maximum volume and bass capabilities were unchanged, volume settings in the lower regions resulted in a quieter sound than before the update
  2. Users of Arc, Beam and Ray would find their Sub output is lower than desired after performing a new Trueplay tuning.

(Home theatre configurations without a Sub were unaffected, including standalone soundbars and those bonded with surrounds only)

With the 14.18 software update, both of these issues have been addressed, and the Enhanced Clarity for Arc adjustments are retained. There was a clear preference within our community for the previous volume settings, and these have been restored. This will be apparent immediately after updating to 14.18. The Trueplay issue has been fixed. Customers who experienced a lower Sub level after performing Trueplay after updating to 14.12 will need to update their systems and then perform a new Trueplay tuning in order to address these improvements in their system. Customers will hear a more powerful low end response, meaning any Sub level adjustments made after 14.12 should no longer be required.